So your gunshot incapacitated the perp, now what?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fwgun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Noblesville, Indiana
    Scenario: you shoot (or stab) a bad guy doing bad things. He drops his weapon and clearly is not in fighting shape. Do you render first aid?

would it look bad to the jury if you didn't attempt to help?

shoot to kill, a dead man can't defend himself. You never should shoot or stab anyone without the intend to kill them.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    shoot to kill, a dead man can't defend himself. You never should shoot or stab anyone without the intend to kill them.

You shoot to stop the threat. Once the threat has stopped, you stop. Call for help and give the police an accurate description of yourself. They will be sending help and dispatchers will be updating as they arrive.

handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    Well you are a doctor, You could clearly state that you did not know if the individual had aids/etc. And that you could not let the person out of your site to retrieve appropriate supplies to tend to the Perp. In fear of your life well being and family members.
    While i think it is a poor idea to empty your entire magazine into a perp. I see nothing wrong with a few follow up shots. 3-4 should get the trick done.. Just do it fast enough where they are not on the floor, when you do such though.. just my thoughts.

Madine85

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Sorry if this is cold hearted. But it gets to the point where i have to use my gun on someone. There is no way I would touch them for any reason. If I shott and they are still alive they get to stare at the business end of my gun until police/medics arrive

This, once they're down, I'll call 911, but they are going to lie on the ground and stare at my gun till the EMS or the coroner arrive.

Lupin3rd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I have no up to date training in CPR or first aid. With that said, even if I was I would simply call the police and keep my firearm trained on the BG until the cops arrived. I have no idea whether he still has fight left in him. I also know that he attacked me so I feel no obligation to save him.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    This, once they're down, I'll call 911, but they are going to lie on the ground and stare at my gun till the EMS or the coroner arrive.

You win the prize. Police are not dumd enough to see when a person had a couple of rounds placed into them after they are down as noted in one of the previous quotes. No problem with watching the bad guy until help arrives. If you are not trained, don't assist a person who just tried to hurt you. Police will do that for you. Protect yourself, don't put yourself in harms way.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I forgot to say if he or she's still breathing - RELOAD! -and put an end to the threat - he might heal and have a revenge plot -you want to think about that - I wouldn't

once they are down, one more in the head, kick the weapon away and check for pulse with my free hand. thats all the help they get. if they dont want to get dead they shouldnt do things to get themselves shot. Period.

No, you only shoot to stop the threat (period). Never shoot again once he has stopped and not a threat. You will have some explaining to do later if you do.

I find IC to be an interesting read.

IC 35-41-3-2
    Use of force to protect person or property
    Sec. 2. (a) A person is justified in using reasonable force against another person to protect the person or a third person from what the person reasonably believes to be the imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person:
    (1) is justified in using deadly force; and
    (2) does not have a duty to retreat;
    if the person reasonably believes that that force is necessary to prevent serious bodily injury to the person or a third person
    or the commission of a forcible felony. No person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting the person or a third person by reasonable means necessary.

Sounds to me like if they are down on the ground and not at the moment, attempting to attack, you are back in reasonable force land. Am I right with my guess that you may use reasonable force to disarm the perp after they are down? Would you be able to go back up to deadly force and fire another round if they refuse to let go of their weapon if they maintain control of it after they drop (obviously a verbal warning first is probably warranted if the situation allows)?

Thoughts?

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011

Sounds to me like if they are down on the ground and not at the moment, attempting to attack, you are back in reasonable force land. Am I right with my guess that you may use reasonable force to disarm the perp after they are down? Would you be able to go back up to deadly force and fire another round if they refuse to let go of their weapon if they maintain control of it after they drop (obviously a verbal warning first is probably warranted if the situation allows)?

Thoughts?

You have a right and a duty to others around, to keep shooting until the threat has been stopped. If he can still access a weapon, then he is still a threat to anyone around him.

I don't think it matters if his arms are still attached to his body or not at the time you see the gun in his hands. :dunno:

Just remember not to stand over [STRIKE]the body[/STRIKE] him while shooting down because the concrete under [STRIKE]the body[/STRIKE] him can shatter and come back at you. So plug away from a safe distance or go home and get some safety glasses before continuing.

Be safe and error on the side of caution! :)

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh

Thoughts?

Loud verbal commands are always a plus. If they are hurt, their thought process is not going to be great. Keep them very simple also if there is a bystander that hears them, that's a big plus to you as a witness. If the commands are too complicated, they also might confuse you in a heated moment.

Every situation is different when using deadly force. If the person is down and not a threat, no you cannot go pump more lead into them ... even if they just shot several people. When they are not a threat, you have to stop using force unless the become a threat again. Remember any action they take, you will be behind in a reaction.

PimpStick

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2012
    Greenwood
    Scenario: you shoot (or stab) a bad guy doing bad things. He drops his weapon and clearly is not in fighting shape. Do you render first aid?

would it look bad to the jury if you didn't attempt to help?

No, I don't think it would. In fact, legally, it's not something the Jury would (or should) ever hear. The inquiry is quite simple. Did you act reasonably to protect yourself or others from death or serious bodily harm.

(1) Remain vigilant

(2) Remove the threat (gain control of his weapon)

(3) Call 911 if you can

(4) Keep the front sight on him until he's properly restrained.

For now: pray it never happens!

PimpStick

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2012
    Greenwood

Thoughts?

If they still have control of their weapon (especially a firearm) then I'd say absolutely justified if you NEED to fire again.

Top Bottom