So your gunshot incapacitated the perp, now what?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Randall

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    It's tricky. One doesn't know if the person has hepatitis, AIDS or some other disease. Even medical professionals glove-up these days. Most of us don't travel with surgical gloves on hand. Also, there's a limit to what an unlicensed person can do from a medical perspective. Say the shoot is justified and Indiana has a cannot sue law. If a person provides medical treatment and does something injurious, it may give the perp grounds to sue where he could not have otherwise.

In my mind a small trauma kit (with gloves) should be close by any time you have a weapon of any sort. While I am no lawyer, I strong supect that good sumertarian laws would still aply to someone treating an injury even if they where the one to inflict said injury.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Me, personally: first thing would be to dial 911 and assess the situation. From there, I'd like to think I could render assistance, but only if it was safe to do so.

But i would be interested what the legal implications would be either way...where's a lawyer when you need one?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Like others have stated, I'm not trained to provide medical assistance.

People make bad choices each and every day.
    Most live and learn by that, some don't.

Why dont you get trained? :dunno:

I understand that it might be dangerous in that situation to provide first aid, and that you might not even want to do it, since that person tried to kill you 2 seconds ago.
    But you could get hurt during this attack, or a family member, or an innocent victim could get hurt.
    Not to mention that you could shoot someone by accident (not a good situation but that happens even at the range).
    I think anybody that carries a gun should have some kind of medical training.Or anyone for that matter, from kids to senior citizens.
    Im not saying you have to be a surgeon in order to carry a gun but just going to a basic first aid class could be a good idea.
    It doesn't have to be a safe defense situation, you could save someone's life during a car accident or something like that.Just with some basic training.

LoneWolf2554

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2012
    NWI
    Well I really don't want the BG to bleed all over my things, so I might give this person enough to help control the bleeding. But only after I've made sure this guy isn't going anywhere and LEOs are on their way. Then I would probably start asking him annoying questions just to bug him :stickpoke:

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Why dont you get trained? :dunno:

I understand that it might be dangerous in that situation to provide first aid, and that you might not even want to do it, since that person tried to kill you 2 seconds ago.
    But you could get hurt during this attack, or a family member, or an innocent victim could get hurt.
    Not to mention that you could shoot someone by accident (not a good situation but that happens even at the range).
    I think anybody that carries a gun should have some kind of medical training.Or anyone for that matter, from kids to senior citizens.
    I'm not saying you have to be a surgeon in order to carry a gun but just going to a basic first aid class could be a good idea.
    It doesn't have to be a safe defense situation, you could save someone's life during a car accident or something like that.Just with some basic training.

-------------------------------------------------------
    Let me re-phrase my original comment on medical training.
    I have had a small amount of training as a former lifeguard,
    Red Cross training during a Scuba class,
    and much more in depth OSHA instruction for job site accidents/injuries.

I'm fairly certain I could administer some form of assistance to
    most medical situations until the real professionals arrive.

For me, it would be a mental block preventing me from assisting ones needs that seconds earlier had attempted to cause me or mine harm.

I guess I would call it a lack of mental conditioning.:dunno:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Let me re-phrase my original comment on medical training.
    I have had a small amount of training as a former lifeguard,
    Red Cross training during a Scuba class,
    and much more in depth OSHA instruction for job site accidents/injuries.

I'm fairly certain I could administer some form of assistance to
    most medical situations until the real professionals arrive.

For me, it would be a mental block preventing me from assisting ones needs that seconds earlier had attempted to cause me or mine harm.

I guess I would call it a lack of mental conditioning.:dunno:

Oh I get it, and I can understand the mental block that you are talking about.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Not really that big of a deal...

Secure the area...
    Dial 911...
    Then fix the persons who are hurt, from the most serious that can be saved to the least serious wounds...

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Not really that big of a deal...

Secure the area...
    Dial 911...
    Then fix the persons who are hurt, from the most serious that can be saved to the least serious wounds...

Is the BG among the persons being treated or are you just talking about the innocent victims?
    Just curious.

Top Bottom