So your gunshot incapacitated the perp, now what?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I honestly would keep my distance and wait for the LEOs.

Exactly, you don't want to go hands on to a bad guy. You don't know his fighting ability or extent of his injuries. Now he wants to get away and you are standing between him and freedom. Call 911, wait and do not go hands on.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I would not, because I will retreat to a safe area and wait for the police. I really don't care If the perpetrator is pretending or not, because if I have the opportunity to retreat, I've achieved my objective of protecting my life. It is not my goal to take anyone's life (or save it if I'm caused to shoot in defense of my life), but to ensure I go home to my family.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Shoot him in the neck, then go over, still armed with your gun, and apply direct pressure to the wound.

With the bottom of your foot.

And no, I'm not serious. Despite medical training, I have a responsibility to my God, myself, my wife, and my daughter to stay alive. That means the extent of medical care he gets from me is a 911 call. If he wants more than that, he should have chosen someone else's house to break into or someone else to assault.

Cold, but the goal is to stay alive.

Blessings,
    Bill

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I'm not touching the guy. I don't know what kind of diseases he might have, and I'm not skilled in treating gunshot or stab wounds anyway, so I'm calling 911 and letting those who are paid and trained to deal with that handle it.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Scenario: you shoot (or stab) a bad guy doing bad things. He drops his weapon and clearly is not in fighting shape. Do you render first aid?

would it look bad to the jury if you didn't attempt to help?

Ever read Aesop's The Farmer and the Serpent?

It's tricky trying to figure out what "works" with juries and lawyers. Consider:

1.) You do call 911 and on stand the lawyer says this: "You had so little regard for this man's life that you didn't even attempt to help!?!"

2.) You help the perp and on the stand the lawyer says this: "You had so little regard for this man's life that you didn't call professionals to come and give him the needed aid!?!"

For my personal :twocents: my aid comes in this form. Speaking to a 911 operator: "Send police and ambulance."

And I would handle it this way because of this:

Exactly, you don't want to go hands on to a bad guy. You don't know his fighting ability or extent of his injuries. Now he wants to get away and you are standing between him and freedom. Call 911, wait and do not go hands on.

:yesway:

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Scenario: you shoot (or stab) a bad guy doing bad things. He drops his weapon and clearly is not in fighting shape. Do you render first aid?

would it look bad to the jury if you didn't attempt to help?

My initial response is that no way am I helping the perp. But I know myself well enough to know that once it occurred, most likely I would render 1st Aid while my son or wife kept the gun trained on him.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    My answer echos many:

Maybe.

It depends.

Those in the heath care professions (ahem) might have a harder time 'splaining lack of aid, but I have no idea. I'd think that defense of yourself / family / own safety would trump, but who knows. Probably would depend on what jurisdiction you'd find yourself in.

-J-

swilk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2008
    I cant imagine a scenario that would escalate to the point I would actually shoot someone and then stop shooting before that person was dead.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I cant imagine a scenario that would escalate to the point I would actually shoot someone and then stop shooting before that person was dead.

How about this one in the original post:

Scenario: you shoot (or stab) a bad guy doing bad things. He drops his weapon and clearly is not in fighting shape.

So I guess your next questions become:

Do you continue shooting until he is dead?

Do you reload and shoot him some more if you run empty and he is out cold but still barely breathing?

Would you consider this to have progressed from stopping the threat and turned into murder?

swilk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2008
    If under some unimaginable circumstances I found myself in that situation I would call 911 and keep an eye on the bg from a safe distance.

To directly answer each of your questions.

How about this one in the original post:

So I guess your next questions become:

Do you continue shooting until he is dead?
    A more accurate way to phrase this would be will he be dead when I stop shooting. I have never been, and hope to never be, in a situation where I have to shoot someone.If it ever were to happen I would shoot with the intentions of killing that person. I would stop pulling the trigger when one of two things happened; I knew for a fact the bg was dead or the gun goes click instead of bang. If we happen to make it the second question I would not reload and continue shooting. I would call 911.

Do you reload and shoot him some more if you run empty and he is out cold but still barely breathing?

No.

Would you consider this to have progressed from stopping the threat and turned into murder?

No.

edit: wow, that yellow text sucks on this background but I cant figure out how to edit the color out.
    edit: never mind, figured it out.

Last edited:

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I am a nurse. I would stand out of reach drawn until LEO/EMT's arrive. I would also make sure that I was between them and their weapon if possible.

I already feared for my life once, I hesitate to put myself in that situation twice.

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    The best thing you can do is get the perp professional medical attention as promptly as possible.

Check out this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/03/nyregion/03shot.html?_r=1

From the article:

"If a gunshot victim’s heart is still beating upon arrival at a hospital, there is a 95 percent chance of survival, Dr. DiMaio said. (People shot in vital organs usually do not make it that far, he added.)

Shots to roughly 80 percent of targets on the body would not be fatal blows, Dr. Fackler said. Still, he added, it is like roulette."

If you shoot them in a vital organ, there is nothing you'll be able to do to save them. If not, he should last long enough for the professionals to handle it.

Last edited:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...I would shoot with the intentions of killing that person...

There's the difference. I would shoot with the intentions of stopping whatever the threat was.

If that kills them, so be it.

If it doesn't, as long as the threat is stopped, I have no need or further intention for them to die.

Top Bottom