SOPA threatens to shut down the internet...seriously.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    so what would be considered "streaming of unauthorized content" anything the government isn't ok with?

You just got sued for your avatar under SOPA.

I really like google, everything else can take a long walk off a short pier.

A LOT of people use Facebook every day. If Facebook takes itself offline, and replaces its page with something like:

We have gone offline. Blame your congressman and vote accordingly.

A LOT of people will do just that.

If Google goes offline, will they take their gmail service down, too? That will tick off a LOT of people as well. Especially if they get an auto-reply to every email message sent through gmail stating they can blame their congressman for what is happening.

The majority of posters are missing the point here. The law is a very loosely writtten package and grants the government basically unlimited censorship. Copyright laws can be considered oh let's say a t-shirt with an advertisement in a picture. An unauthorized picture of your new bushmaster you post on INGO. Basically anything containing a copyright or trademark used without consent could be censored. There seems to be a lot of people on here that look at things from the so what it doesn't change my day to day yuk yuk yuk. Seriously if this law passes it is essentially granting the government control of the internet.

You just got sued for your sig line under SOPA.

That woud break a lot of things, but everything would be switched over in a week easy. It would be a nice decentralization lesson for all of us ;)

You just got sued for your avatar under SOPA, oh and also for your signline.

al-gore-internet.jpg

You just got sued for re-posting this picture under SOPA.

INGO just got sued by everybody for pretty much everything posted on this site under SOPA. This is not about Google temporarily shutting down. This is about giving everyone the power to take ANY SITE PERMANENTLY OFFLINE for almost any reason.

I am, frankly, disgusted over the responses in this thread. "Oh well, life goes on. They'll just route around the problem. It doesn't really affect me." Yes, it DOES affect you, and if you're so short-sighted to think "Well, I just won't use Facebook.", then you deserve what's coming, and believe me, SOPA looks like it's going to pass in spite of the vehement objections of virtually everyone in the industry who has any idea what they're talking about.

STOP LETTING THEM TAKE EVERYONE ELSE'S FREEDOM OR YOURS IS NEXT AND THERE WON'T BE ANYONE LEFT TO HELP YOU.

That's every blog and website in the world.

YES! EXACTLY!

By the way, you just got sued for your avatar under SOPA.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    For once, The Young Turks have an interesting take on SOPA. It was never meant to pass, but was intended to capture a new market in the grasp of Washington politicians. The tech companies are the last ones out there who aren't playing ball. The entire industry was founded by an anti-establishment mentality, remember "do no harm, don't be evil"?

Pay the vig. He uses a few naughty words at the end to drive the point home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNQh56czKgc

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I find it interesting that more people haven't piped up in this thread. I'm guessing it's the title that's keeping them out.

It's also interesting to see that people don't understand the severity of this issue either.

andrewjshimmmen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    indianapolis
    google & yahoo? that means yahoo.com, gmail.com, att.net, sbcglobal.net, pacbell.net, swbell.net emails would be a no go for that day, which on its own would be an issue, but sure hotmail would join also given time. plus yahoo & att.my.yahoo are two of the largest portals, hope they do and for more than just a day!
    but even more glad to be getting out of IT support lol

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    For once,

"Bipartisan, you know what that means, they are coming to rob you."

Bingo.

I am shocked at the ignorance shown by many in this thread.

INGO ends if SOPA passes.

You guys think the mods are anal over a one line snippet copy paste of a news story... ROFL! just wait until SOPA hits... you ain't seen nothing yet.

Bribery... yeah, it works that well.

Edit, yeah I'd be getting sued for having my personal FN PS90 in my avatar if FN felt like it.... I don't have the cash though, they'd just go after Fenway... and with their lawyers, just the threat of a suit would force a big cash settlement.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    If you want real world examples of taking down sites and how this works watch this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhwuXNv8fJM

One example, the US government did a DNS take over of megaupload. Several music artists like Conway and PDitty and others made a song to protest the take down...

Universal then did a takedown request via youtube to take down the song claiming copyright violations... Yeah, it's that f'ed up.

More and more real world examples and detailed explanations are in the video.

ONE SINGLE copy right photo on ONE page on Facebook could shut down all of facebook or all of youtube or all of blogspot and obviously all of INGO.

BigJ3780

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Kind of hard to kill the internet when so many people have servers and access to lan lines. Just getting the IP addresses out for connections.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Kind of hard to kill the internet when so many people have servers and access to lan lines. Just getting the IP addresses out for connections.

I think you're not understanding either the seriousness of SOPA or how the takedowns work. Prometheus is not exaggerating when he says INGO ends. All it takes is ONE person complaining to the ISP that a site infringed something and the ISP will be required to kick that site offline. The domain name will be seized, and any IP addresses will be firewalled. That's BEFORE there's any investigation. AND THEN the claimaint can now go after not just the person who posted it but also the website owners. Once ALL OF THAT is settled (years, probably), then the site may be allowed to go back online, but by then the damage is long past done. If you think you can get around this just by "changing servers", well then, you just go ahead and ignore this warning.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    I find it interesting that more people haven't piped up in this thread. I'm guessing it's the title that's keeping them out.

It's also interesting to see that people don't understand the severity of this issue either.
    Possibly.

Thank you (all) for the explanation and links.
    Just to make sure we're on the same page, it's H.R. 3261, currently in the House Judiciary Committee, correct?

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    The internet can survive without Google, it's not like it's the only search engine we can use.You have dozens and dozens of search engines in many countries.
    Google can just shut down itself, not the internet.

Google holds some of the most widely used DNS servers, and many people use a Google server as both their primary and alternate. Obviously Google can not literally take down the entire internet, but the re-routing of all of the vital services that Google (and the others) operate would cripple the internet as a whole, even if it was just temporary.

SOPA is the single largest threat to the First Amendment in decades, and if it were to pass it would drastically change the internet as we know it, not just for citizens of the US, but for everyone in the world. Our internet would become only slightly more free than China's, now talk about a scary thought!

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    As long as INGO is up, I'm good.
    What a worthless sound byte... You obviously haven't read any of the posts in this thread.

I think you're not understanding either the seriousness of SOPA or how the takedowns work. Prometheus is not exaggerating when he says INGO ends. All it takes is ONE person complaining to the ISP that a site infringed something and the ISP will be required to kick that site offline. The domain name will be seized, and any IP addresses will be firewalled. That's BEFORE there's any investigation. AND THEN the claimaint can now go after not just the person who posted it but also the website owners. Once ALL OF THAT is settled (years, probably), then the site may be allowed to go back online, but by then the damage is long past done. If you think you can get around this just by "changing servers", well then, you just go ahead and ignore this warning.

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    This thread has been up for one day and only has 35 posts (now 36). The Ron Paul / Bunny Ranch thread has been up for 30 minutes and already has 30. It's obvious that most INGO members are not understanding that SOPA is THE single biggest political issue happening now.

INGO, Blade Forums, HuffPo, Facebook, Blogspot,WordPress, etc, etc. and just about every blog or website where people are expressing their opinions about issues are in serious danger of being shut-down. And Scutter01's point about being shutdown over a complaint is good but it doesn't go far enough; Imagine what will be going thru a guy like Fenway's mind when he hears about a site being shutdown and the owner/members being sued into oblivion? Website owners will begin to close or radically restrict their sites in order to prevent financial ruin. No problem though, just keep being distracted by the Mitt/Newt/Ron/Rick reality show and pay no attention to what's going on. Afterall, as soon as we all vote republican everything will be ok again, right?

BTW....welcome back Scutter. Where the hell were you; we've needed your iron hand around here!

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    Thats what I was afraid of. This is a bunch of crap. I wouldn't trust the government they screw up everything else they get their hands on.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    For once, The Young Turks have an interesting take on SOPA. It was never meant to pass, but was intended to capture a new market in the grasp of Washington politicians. The tech companies are the last ones out there who aren't playing ball. The entire industry was founded by an anti-establishment mentality, remember "do no harm, don't be evil"?

In the youtube video the guy basically says they are threatening these companies livelihood so these companies will start lobbying(bribing) congress to pass laws in their favor. Isn't that how the mafia does it? They threaten people until they pay them and say they are paying for their protection? Kind of ironic simularity don't you think?

tr1gg3r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    The Fortress
    SOPA does suck, but, if it goes through, I'm off the net. No big deal to me personally, I lived before the internet and I'll live after the internet. Don't get me wrong, it's as unconstitutional as the last x amount of things passed by congress, but, if the politicians want mass chaos, I'll be glad to sit back and watch it unfold.

Top Bottom