• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Quit spending money at Wal Mart on guns, ammo, or anything else. Let Wal Mart's lawyers argue with South Bend's lawyers. Drive a few miles to the LGS. Lots of good ones nearby - Midwest, Granger, and ZX to name a few. None of them are actually in South Bend; coincidence?

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Let Wal Mart's lawyers argue with South Bend's lawyers.

Yup, and if the people quit complaining about something that isn't right, when will 'they' stop doing crap that isn't right ??

Someone's gotta be a 'voice'.. I have no problems doing so. I would have much rather been at the meeting, however, as noted, I couldn't make it.

Certainly not trying to be argumentative here, however, this was my contribution. Where's yours? :dunno:

jon5212

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Yeah I think a pro 2a attorney needs to take this up. It seems the council has knowingly violated state law. I think this council needs some new members. How do you remove council members?

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Councilman Vice Pres. Mr. Davis replied to my request for a copy of the 'agreement' (see, I've been busy). He also sent me a link to the 'minutes' of the council meeting at the time that WalMart petitioned the city.

link to the minutes (scroll down to page 29): http://docs.southbendin.gov/WebLink8/DocView.aspx?id=20930&page=1&dbid=0

and here's a link to the .pdf file that contains the agreement itself: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3ib959va20y67d1/RnoPq7e5oB/Walmart.pdf

Seems like WalMart started it, but doesn't care about how the media is portraying them, also, the story that was made up back in 2011 sounds eerily familiar to the one that was reported recently by the good reverend on the news.

Thoughts?

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Well, the good reverend and the city council can take credit for getting the evil "tactical" guns and .223 ammo off the streets while the supply of 9MM, 40 S&W, and 45 acp ammo stays open for the gang bangers and WalMart continues to make a profit.

Looks like a win, win all around.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    The problem that I have is when Walmart decided to sell the evil black guns and other dangerous ammunition,the city had no right getting involved and forcing them.to comply with an agreement that became illegal after the state law changed.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I go there almost everyday. In fact, most Walmart all the time, I drive a lot for my job. I am not sure what people are talking about by assault weapons. What does that mean? They have a Stevens 12 gauge, with a hand grip stock but it is no different than the other 12 gauges. Actually I think that only holds 6 rounds. I saw on the news one of the counselman was talking about .223 going through a bullet proof vest. These guys have know idea what they are talking about. Some people go by looks, the gun looks mean so it is an assault rifle.
    The other fact is, your not talking about criminal posession your talking about law abiding tax payers that get a background check. There is know distintion between the two accourding to the common counsel.

I no what you mean...

apsjiml

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    So, can they just blow the city off and just keep selling can they actually enforce any of it?

apsjiml

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    Does the state regulate what type of hours you can sell firearms and ammunition? I go there all the time, those cases are locked everytime.

jon5212

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    I think state law trumps any agreement the city and Wal Mart have. :dunno:

I believe that is true. I would also assume walmart holds an FFL to sell rifles. So I don't think the south bend council can do any sort of thing legally if walmart told the council to go F themselves.

It's tiring seeing all these do-gooders mucking things up.

apsjiml

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2011
    That is covered in 292 chapter 11.1 local regulation of firearms which covers what type of firearms etc. So what the South Bend council is doing is illegal to regulate at the local level. I just saw a sign last night in the firearm section about the local ordinance which is actually illegal. So is telling them what type of firearms they can sell. I wonder if Walmart knows that?

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    That is covered in 292 chapter 11.1 local regulation of firearms which covers what type of firearms etc. So what the South Bend council is doing is illegal to regulate at the local level. I just saw a sign last night in the firearm section about the local ordinance which is actually illegal. So is telling them what type of firearms they can sell. I wonder if Walmart knows that?

If you dig through this thread, I posted up an email that I sent to WalMart's attorney. Evidently, they could care less.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    If you dig through this thread, I posted up an email that I sent to WalMart's attorney. Evidently, they could care less.

It's not that they care its more an issue of bottom line/money.
    1) There most likely is not a big enough market in that location to offer the black rifle like sold in other stores (ie. A wal-mart near terrau hut ??sp?? Sells reloading dies, powder, etc yet the wal-marts in nwi do not)

2) even if there was a market in south bend for the black rifles, wal-mart might have looked at the pros/cons of selling a legal item that the locals donot want sold. At that point it becomes an issue of 'goodwill citizen'. Do you sell an item the locals do not want you selling and risk getting a hard time from the city. Ie. Rezoning of space, higher taxes, etc.. there are many things a local gov can do to eventually push out a retailer.

So legal or illegal ordinance wal-mart may have felt its not worth their trouble when they make much more money selling everything else in their store. after all wal-marts goal is to make money for its shareholders, not to be pro-2a or pro-anything else.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Link?

Top Bottom