• ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The punchline writes itself.

A billion years from now, some dude will be driving through space... and say, "Man, I really don't care for Bowie."

BAM

Gets hit by Elon's space car with Starman still glued to the wheel.

Justice served.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    A little thing I threw together...

uQ5zyGd.png

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So would this be considered one of the biggest victories for capitalism in modern times?

Private company builds its own rocket, delivers massive payload into orbit, and now will potentially sell these services to the US Government/Military/etc...

It's insanely impressive to see how well it all went.

Edit: Elon confirmed that they did NOT successfully recover the center core. Only 1 of the intended 3 engines was able to re-light for the landing burn, and it struck the water near the droneship.

The center one lit but the outer two did not, and that was not enough to slow the stage down. Apparently it hit the water at 300 miles per hour and took out 2 of the engines on the drone ship. That sounds like some pretty fun footage, so if the cameras didn't get blown up as well then we'll save that for the next blooper reel.

Last edited:

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    So would this be considered one of the biggest victories for capitalism in modern times?

Private company builds its own rocket, delivers massive payload into orbit, and now will potentially sell these services to the US Government/Military/etc...

It's insanely impressive to see how well it all went.

Obama said "He didn't build it."

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    A little SpaceX trivia...

The Tesla Roadster with "The Starman" mannequin seated inside recreates the opening scene of the 1981 animated film "Heavy Metal".

The full size Tesla Roadster has a miniature Tesla Roadster on the dashboard with an equally miniature Starman seated inside.

The Tesla displays the message "Don't Panic" on the dash screen, it has a towel in the glove box along with a book... (yes, that one).

The radio on the Tesla is to play David Bowie's song Space Oddity on repeat... forever.

SpaceX's next rocket is codenamed "BFR", a nod to the BFG 9000 (Big F***ing Gun) from id software's 1993 PC game DOOM.

It's a great day for Nerdom.

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The telemetry of the car is probably overloading Elon's e-mail inbox, saying he's overdue for countless maintenance and inspections based on mileage.

... And consider this:

“I’ll tell you what I’m going to do Mr Bond. I’m going to stick you in a spacesuit with a radio, and strap you into one of my cars. Then, while mankind watches, I’ll launch you into space. The last thing you’ll hear before leaving this earth forever, will be their applause.”

Elon could have totally gotten away with disposing of a body, and we're all just sitting here laughing and clapping along.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ... And consider this:

“I’ll tell you what I’m going to do Mr Bond. I’m going to stick you in a spacesuit with a radio, and strap you into one of my cars. Then, while mankind watches, I’ll launch you into space. The last thing you’ll hear before leaving this earth forever, will be their applause.”

Elon could have totally gotten away with disposing of a body, and we're all just sitting here laughing and clapping along.

I don't find this to be far fetched. He's always struck me as Bond villain-esque.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    The telemetry of the car is probably overloading Elon's e-mail inbox, saying he's overdue for countless maintenance and inspections based on mileage.

... And consider this:

progressive-snapshot-2.jpg

"We are sorry to inform you that your insurance has been canceled based upon your driving habits reported by Snapshot."

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    One of my wife's first cousins is an engineer at Kennedy Space Center.

It took him over 4 hours to make it home yesterday evening. 27 miles.

Apparently he (and 6000 other employees) aren't too happy with the decision to have a launch at the same time those 6000 people are getting off work.

Top Bottom