• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Kim Jong Un: Haha! I sure do love flexing my missile prowess against the American pig-dogs!

America: One of our civilians just launched their own rocket into space, containing their own car, which is now in a heliocentric orbit between Earth and Mars. And most of the rockets landed themselves back on Earth.

Kim Jong Un:

tenor.gif

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I read (I think here) that only 1 of the 3 decel thrusters fired.

That wasn't enough. :D

I don't know if the mains are throttleable. Watching the nick of time firing to land the boosters, I was left wondering if it was because of the high thrust to weight ratio of the now largely spent boosters, the minimal amount of remaining fuel or both. They come in hot and there's not much room for error

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I read (I think here) that only 1 of the 3 decel thrusters fired.

That wasn't enough. :D

I don't know if the mains are throttleable. Watching the nick of time firing to land the boosters, I was left wondering if it was because of the high thrust to weight ratio of the now largely spent boosters, the minimal amount of remaining fuel or both. They come in hot and there's not much room for error

I thought only totalitarian regimes withhold video of their rocket failures
    :)

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Last picture of Starman:

Elon says he's now in the Asteroid Belt: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/08/elo...rman-in-the-red-tesla-he-shot-into-space.html

Third burn successful. Exceeded Mars orbit and kept going to the Asteroid Belt.
    10:46 PM - Feb 6, 2018

Asteroid belt between 111 million and 204 million miles from earth (depending on how/when measured). Final stage firing ~2145 Tuesday night. If it made it there by the time Musk says this, then using a rough distance based on the orbital schematic he posted, Starman would need a terminal velocity of about 180 million miles per hour, which is a little better than 1/4c

Even for what Musk says to be true now (~42.87 hours after burn) terminal velocity would need to be about 4.2 million miles per hour. That would be one hell of a booster

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Third burn successful. Exceeded Mars orbit and kept going to the Asteroid Belt.

Asteroid belt between 111 million and 204 million miles from earth (depending on how/when measured). Final stage firing ~2145 Tuesday night. If it made it there by the time Musk says this, then using a rough distance based on the orbital schematic he posted, Starman would need a terminal velocity of about 180 million miles per hour, which is a little better than 1/4c

Even for what Musk says to be true now (~42.87 hours after burn) terminal velocity would need to be about 4.2 million miles per hour. That would be one hell of a booster

Yeah, maybe on its way TO the asteroid belt.

Elon Musk
    @elonmusk

Third burn successful. WILL Exceed Mars orbit and kept going to the Asteroid Belt.

FTFH In other words, typo in his quote, but it has the speed necessary to get out there.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    To escape Earths gravity well you need to get to 25k mph....so they need to have more than a dropped zero to get there. If it's going to pass Mars and head to the asteroid belt it's smoking a lot more than that.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    To escape Earths gravity well you need to get to 25k mph....so they need to have more than a dropped zero to get there. If it's going to pass Mars and head to the asteroid belt it's smoking a lot more than that.

Third burn, in orbit, was 48 hours ago ... and was visible from the ground... it would have to be going nearly a million mile an hour to have already passed Mars.

https://www.space.com/39620-skywatchers-see-spacex-falcon-heavy-third-burn.html

All the articles about it missing Mars seem to be taking a Musk Tweet about the trajectory out of context.

Last edited:

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    450,000 miles on that Tesla... 2x distance of the moon as of this afternoon...

Six months to Mars sounds about right.

Top Bottom