Now we're talkin :)

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    Sardines are where it's at :rockwoot:

I have yet to try spam due to the amount of salt, but it would be a good idea for storage just in case. I bet the salt in it would become invaluable once the supply of salt dries up.

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    I looked at spam because someone said it will store for a long time but the use by date was barely a year out. I know most stuff is good past its use by date but I was expecting more like 3-4 years. :dunno:

mattnik

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    You can order some flavors of SPAM online if you get bored with the local variety, or you can't find what you want. Around here, all they seem to have is regular, turkey, and low fat. Maybe a mega mart would have a better supply.

I say order online in bulk, and have it shipped.

One thing I don't like is the new "pull tab" cans. The rings tend to pull off, leaving the cans sealed. And that, when you're only got a few minutes to prepare something, is a real crisis :-)

When I was a kid, they had little keys that you inserted, and twisted around until the can popped open in the middle. Call me nostalgic, but I wish they still opened that way. It seems like a lot less hassle.

One thing for SHTF concerns: It may be expensive, but you can use it sparingly to add flavor to bulk foodstuffs. Rice with some spam and peas, a bit of spam in an omelette, or my favorite, cubed and cooked in a crock pot with some fifteen bean soup. One can can feed a whole family for a couple of days :-)

Just my $.02

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I forgot to mention earlier that in Hawaii Spam popped up in lots of dishes and at all level of restaurant. I even saw scrambled eggs and Spam on the menu at Burger King at the Honolulu airport. It reminded me of growing up, we used to have Spam fried about once a month or so. We all loved it.

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    I can't say I am a "fan" of it, but I've have it in several forms when I lived in Hawaii. I might grab a can or two to check it out an see if I like it. The bacon variety just seem like a can of win!

Top Bottom