• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Does anyone else think the cop was acting very dangerously?
    If the citizen wanted to, he could have easily hurt the cop and gotten away from him.
    IMO, the cop was way too close while trying to talk him back into the car, then when he's hugging the guy, h could have been knocked out so easily with an elbow, but he just stands there, bear hugging the guy, trying to TALK him in to compliance.
    its not until back up arrives that the guy is restrained at all!

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    phylodog said:
    In a city the size of Indianapolis, how would you suggest the police proceed in attempting to apprehend someone wanted for a homicide, burglary, theft, robbery or rape? In my experience, the majority of those committing these crimes don't have an address.

Is there really no way to apprehend criminals other than to pull over everyone and hope that you catch one?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Is there really no way to apprehend criminals other than to pull over everyone and hope that you catch one?

Well, if no one drops dime on them....they have no listed address.....roam freely about in the car then yes, that is one way.

These guys do not have the paper trail we have.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Well, if no one drops dime on them....they have no listed address.....roam freely about in the car then yes, that is one way.

These guys do not have the paper trail we have.

Why is this a good way? Why not just randomly stop folks and ask them for papers, if we need to do things like this to maintain law and order?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Why is this a good way? Why not just randomly stop folks and ask them for papers, if we need to do things like this to maintain law and order?

Oh man. I did not say marshal law. So many of these idiots are caught during traffic stops. I seriously doubt they will pull over a family cruising to WalMart.
    A paper trail being addresses on file etc. Proper ID.

How would "You" suggest they find these guys.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Oh man. I did not say marshal law. So many of these idiots are caught during traffic stops. I seriously doubt they will pull over a family cruising to WalMart.
    A paper trail being addresses on file etc. Proper ID.

What's the difference? Is pulling over random people any better than stopping random people on a sidewalk and demanding ID? Is this freedom?

How would "You" suggest they find these guys

How about police work? Talk to friends and family, follow people, investigate. Stake out the homes of known associates. Leaving motorists the heck alone ought to free up all kinds of resources for this kind of activity.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia

You, rambone, hornady, and several other malcontents can absolutely do something about all your perceived ills. Go down to your local PD or Sheriff's Dept. and ask about joining as a reserve. The mandated training is spread out over several weeks, and most departments only ask that you work a shift or two a month, so the time commitment is very manageable with your current job and family life. Some of our reserves have very busy jobs and families and they can manage it. I did it for a couple years before I was hired full-time and I managed it just fine too. Once you join though, you can come out and put your theories of a better mousetrap to the test. Once you perfect them and the rest of us see how easy this job should have been all along, we'll start adopting your methods too. Plus, you can be the change that you expect the rest of us to be. I've been reading for years here on INGO about the evils of arresting people at their houses, no-knock warrant service, making traffic stops to find criminals, and other senseless oppression. You have a realistic opportunity to volunteer a little of your time and make America a better place for freedom.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I have no interest in becoming a cop, and I see no reason why I need to become one in order to speak my mind about this sort of nonsense.

If you can't find criminals without random violations of citizens then you should re-examine your own career choice, not mine.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I have no interest in becoming a cop, and I see no reason why I need to become one in order to speak my mind about this sort of nonsense.

If you can't find criminals without random violations of citizens then you should re-examine your own career choice, not mine.

You're certain there are better ways to catch criminals but you have no interest in testing your mousetrap because "you don't wanna." I have no problem with you speaking your mind about law enforcement, you're just consistently wrong. I am very happy with my career choice and wouldn't change what I do for any other job out there. Unlike you, I have experience in this job and understand what works and what doesn't based on real-world knowledge. I get to use that knowledge to actually arrest real criminals and put them in jail, for whatever that is worth. If you see enforcing the laws that your elected officials have enacted as random violations of citizens then it would appear that you don't support the system of law that our country is based upon. Don't get me wrong though, it certainly is much easier to sit in a chair at home and theorize than it is to actually try to go make a difference. You've made your decision that you'd rather watch your fingers dance across a keyboard than to actually try to make a real difference in your community.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    So we can't complain about politicians unless we become a politician.

Sure you can. But you can't complain about them if you don't vote. If one has a problem about which laws are worthy of enforcing, as Steve does, then that's the way to affect change, not armchair quarterbacking and second guessing the police.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Please show me where I said to go willy-nilly pulling people over at random. Jeesh. Chile out man.
    If you fit a profile (yes, there are those who fit) then you stand a chance of drawing the attention of LEO.
    Freedom. Interesting concept. You and many others want to be free and want to be safe. Yet, when LEO attempt to corral and contain the bad element in the only way's they can it is "Too" much.

I have been stopped before when LEO was looking for someone. Vehicle fit a description. LEO apologized and went on into the night.
    Offer a solution please. This nit pick crap gets so old.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Sure you can. But you can't complain about them if you don't vote. If one has a problem about which laws are worthy of enforcing, as Steve does, then that's the way to affect change, not armchair quarterbacking and second guessing the police.

Bull****. Intentionally not voting is indeed voting. It's voting for none of the above which is every bit as valid as voting for any one of them.

And as far as voting to affect change, it works better in theory than it does reality for several reasons that might make for an interesting discussion in a different thread.

And while I'm not going to follow Steve and horn all the way off the cliff, I'll say that I'd rather not be stopped for a fishing expedition. It's an unnecessary interference into my life. However, if I happen to fit the description of someone they're looking for, fine. Stop me, check me out, apologize for the inconvenience when you find out I'm not the guy, then let me be on my way. But don't just stop me for a fictitious broken tail light just so you can see if I'm doing anything illegal.

Top Bottom