Speeding on 465 and got a ticket (LEO's do it all the time!)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you speed on 465?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    For the people voting in the poll, if you drive 60mph on 465, that qualifies you as speeding.

Ok so some time back I got pulled over for 72 in 55 on 465. I was issued a ticket, even with a clean record I was not good enough to get a warning. The problem I have is NO ONE drives 55 on 465. When I was pulled over, the officer told me he pulled me over because I was the lead car, not true I was 3rd in a line of 15 or so cars all going the same speed.

My question is what type of selection process goes through an officers head when it comes time to pull someone over with so many to choose from? Was it because I am the guy from out of town and less likely to be able to make a court date and fight the ticket?

Also, how can you enforce the 55 speed limit fairly? Since my ticket, I have made it a point to get in the fast lane and drive 55 on the dot and everyone is trying to run me off the side of the road! Cars in every lane just fly by me like nothing, a lot of the time while a cop is right beside them and does not pull them over for speeding? At any given time 9 out of 10 drivers on 465 are doing 10+ over the limit and cops ignore it, so why would I think it is not ok? I say either enforce it or don't! You can't pick and choose who you want to cite, yes you can, but that is plain wrong.

One more complaint, why is it ok for cops to speed 10 or 15 over while on duty but not in route to a call? Don't tell me they have more experience driving or they took driving courses to enable them to do so.

-1 to the LEO's who write tickets for doing the same thing they do everyday. "Do as I say, not as I do"?

Its simple really...the law is only for those who aren't paid to enforce it. You will probably catch a hard time on here from a certain former LEO and a current joke of one but there are some good LEO's on here who actually look at things from a right and wrong perspective so maybe you will get a few good responses from them. I am not from the Indy area but completely agree with you on the getting ran over when you don't speed some on 465.

Colts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2011
    Roundabout Circle City
    I have noticed a significant pickup in enforcement on I-465 over the last two years. I try to pay more attention now to my speed.

On the NW-side, you routinely have ISP, Carmel, Motocycle Police and now the "White Trucks" in construction zones helping everyone monitor their speed.

While I do not want to get pulled over for speeding, if I do - I hope it is one of the unmarked Mustangs (yes, that is how much of a Mustang fan I am).

00_mustang-nose-with-lights.jpg
    :rockwoot:

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    I have noticed a significant pickup in enforcement on I-465 over the last two years. I try to pay more attention now to my speed.

On the NW-side, you routinely have ISP, Carmel, Motocycle Police and now the "White Trucks" in construction zones helping everyone monitor their speed.

While I do not want to get pulled over for speeding, if I do - I hope it is one of the unmarked Mustangs (yes, that is how much of a Mustang fan I am).

00_mustang-nose-with-lights.jpg
    :rockwoot:

:yesway:

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Won't ask anyone who is a cop to get it fixed for you either will you:dunno:

I resent the implication even.. I have NEVER asked for a ticket to disappear and I will NEVER stoop to do it. I either take the points or the deferral if that is an option. A deferral is more expensive.. I actually took Defensive Driving Classes in 2003 because I had so many points on my license I was in jeopardy of being suspended.

Now I think I am owed an apology

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I resent the implication even.. I have NEVER asked for a ticket to disappear and I will NEVER stoop to do it. I either take the points or the deferral if that is an option. A deferral is more expensive.. I actually took Defensive Driving Classes in 2003 because I had so many points on my license I was in jeopardy of being suspended.

Now I think I am owed an apology

Apology?!

I think you should be Mocked for having to take the Driving Classes...
    Maybe that is just me though...

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Apology?!

I think you should be Mocked for having to take the Driving Classes...
    Maybe that is just me though...

I'm not crying about it :dunno:

I got caught, I paid the price and learned from it. I don't speed as much anymore. :dunno:

matter of fact.. 2003 was my last ticket

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I'm not crying about it :dunno:

I got caught, I paid the price and learned from it. I don't speed as much anymore. :dunno:

matter of fact.. 2003 was my last ticket

So what you are saying is attending the Driving Class as an Adult was actually beneficial because you learned that Speeding was Illegal?!

Or have you just Bought a better grade of Fuzz Buster?! :D

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    So what you are saying is attending the Driving Class as an Adult was actually beneficial because you learned that Speeding was Illegal?!

Or have you just Bought a better grade of Fuzz Buster?! :D

:laugh:

If I had a fuzz buster I wouldn't have got caught..
    I knew then and I know now speeding is illegal. I still do it, just not at the speeds I was going then.
    I never said it was beneficial to take the DD course, just that I took it so I wouldn't have my license suspended.
    The fines and fees is what slowed me down, with a newborn (in 2003) I couldn't afford them.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    :laugh:

If I had a fuzz buster I wouldn't have got caught..
    I knew then and I know now speeding is illegal. I still do it, just not at the speeds I was going then.
    I never said it was beneficial to take the DD course, just that I took it so I wouldn't have my license suspended.
    The fines and fees is what slowed me down, with a newborn (in 2003) I couldn't afford them.

You realize with all the Fines you paid out you could have bought a good Fuzz Buster... :laugh:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    To be Honest I lost my License in Germany for a 1 year suspension in less than 40 days in Country...

The 'Bahn is not a Wide open speed road....

boosteds13cc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Lowell
    I used to have dinner with an IMPD officer rather often because we both had breaks at the same time and both frequented the same restaurant. Not a lot of options when you are working graveyard. Well, I was talking about some crazy driver I encountered on my commute to work and had mentioned that I was going 75 at the time. Well, I realized that as a cop he might not appreciate my admission and sheepishly explained that everyone was going 75. Well, he was unphased. He just nodded and said, yeah, the speed limit for 465 is 70 or 75 depending on weather and traffic.

So they know. They do it on purpose. Its like how great whites cruising around for sea lions. They go after the fattest ones they are likely to catch and consume. Keep in mind that most cops don't actually like doing traffic stops. Mostly they hope that they can get a good arrest out of it, like finding out you have a warrant or seeing a crack pipe on the dashboard. The supreme court ruled that traffic ticket "quotas" are unconstitutional. Most departments do require that you make a certain number of "contacts" per night. This is why you might get a warning for going 75 one day and a ticket the next. It depends on the officer and the offense and the offender. If you are crabby, you are probably going to get a ticket. If you are calm and congenial, maybe you won't. Then again, cops are only human. Sometimes you get one who does nothing but write tickets. I know a cop who wrote 85 tickets in a month once. He was just a reservist at the time. The judge asked the people in the courtroom how many people were issued a ticket by that officer. Everyone in the room raised their hand. The judge said, "Cases dismissed." and whacked the gavel. Wasn't IMPD though.

sounds like a local cop by me

CSORuger

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Brownsburg Indiana
    Indiana State Police handing out tickets

Indiana State Police handing out tickets for speeding.

For the first offense, they give you two Indianapolis Colt’s tickets.

Second offense, they make you use them.:laugh:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Before I was an LEO, I was a lead-footed teen. I got so many tickets one year that I too had to take a defensive driving class...I think that was back in 1990. Of all the tickets I got, I deserved every one of them. I did get my share of warnings as well. I didn't like getting tickets, even got one for dark tint. I just accepted it as "live the life...pay the price." Politics aside, I KNEW what the speed limits were and I CHOSE to exceed them. I got away with speeding 1000x's more that the tickets I received. I understand anger at getting a ticket but it is the chance you take for choosing to speed. Make excuses all you want but the fact remains that you exercised free will and got caught.

Top Bottom