• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    The card they scan actually does something...it keeps that employee's scan rate up and indicates to management that they are following company policy about asking every customer for their Speedy card.

maybe Speedway evaluates and gives raises on scan rates, I know for fact, Ricker's doesn't. We don't get a scan rate report on a per employee sheet, we get it as a store. Are higher scan rates good? Absolutely, but it isn't all about that. I'd rather they come to work, keep the customers happy and do their job than worry about a scan rate.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The card they scan actually does something...it keeps that employee's scan rate up and indicates to management that they are following company policy about asking every customer for their Speedy card.

That's a weird metric. But then again, managers have to manage something and you can't manage something you can't measure.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    maybe Speedway evaluates and gives raises on scan rates, I know for fact, Ricker's doesn't. We don't get a scan rate report on a per employee sheet, we get it as a store. Are higher scan rates good? Absolutely, but it isn't all about that. I'd rather they come to work, keep the customers happy and do their job than worry about a scan rate.

Obviously Ricker's operates differently than Speedway. I can tell you that every month the store manager puts up a list up of all of the employee's scan rates, and if your scan rate is below acceptable, there will be a yellow line through your name for the whole world to see. :):

Last edited:

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Obvious Ricker's operates differently than Speedway. I can tell you that every month the store manager puts up a list up of all of the employee's scan rates, and if your scan rate is below acceptable, there will be a yellow line through your name for the whole world to see. :):

yep, we do... I, as a, manager puts up a store scan rate... I tell them good job, or let's do better. Right now we are sitting at a 48% scan rate. No one is getting fired for that, not even me.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    The clerk get major plus for her reviews if you get people to use the rewards card. That is why they always ask you to use it.

My distaste for rewards cards has to do with the tracking purchases made. An older lady (friends mother) took a fall at a Kroger store. Busted hip. Wet floor video captured the wet floor and the fall. Should have been a open and stunt lawsuit case. Ultimately it was. What the store lawyers did was use what she purchased on the rewards card to discredit her in court. She her husband was a full fledged alcoholic on a major scale. (The lady did not have a drinking issue) Since her rewards card purchased included one to two half gallons of vodka per visit the lawyers used those purchases to make her seem to be questionable of being under the influence at the time of the fall.

I know lawyers are paid to do the best for those whom they are getting paid by. I often see lawyers in a bad light when these courtroom antics come to my attention. With smart phones and tracking now mainstream you really don’t understand that you can and are being tracked inside the store how long you spend in each isle. Which isle ends you stop at and tie that to what you ultimately purchase and that info is sold off.

Gee I now sound like a tin foil hat double layer internet site.

Back before Kroger had gas stations around me, and when they printed the whole 16 digit customer number on every receipt, I used to pick up receipts and print barcode stickers for my card. I'd get the store discounts, the other customer would get whatever points were worth, and more importantly, my purchases wouldn't be tracked to me.

numbaonecoltsfan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2015
    Mooresville
    Scan rate is all well and good but if that's the case I expect the lady I spoke with on the phone would have explained that to me since she was so helpful with everything.

Instead she thanked me for alerting them to what was going on and said they would be investigating because this isn't right.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've been in a few places where the cash register has a loyalty car tethered or chained near it specifically to scan for customers who didn't have one.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Back before Kroger had gas stations around me, and when they printed the whole 16 digit customer number on every receipt, I used to pick up receipts and print barcode stickers for my card. I'd get the store discounts, the other customer would get whatever points were worth, and more importantly, my purchases wouldn't be tracked to me.

You do know you can just put John Doe and fake info on the card registration, correct? Then it's tracked to a fictitious person...

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Being a dirty, rotten smoker, I stop at speedway frequently. There are no reward points on smokes, so, I'm not scanning my card. When I don't produce a card, they will. It's all about the scan rate. I asked, they explained it.

It's no more annoying, than being carded buying the smokes. I'm a long way past 18, and I'm not producing ID to buy them. I shop elsewhere.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    REALLY??..... A Scam??

You people have no clue as to why they scan a card if you don't have Speedy card. It's called "scan rate". The employees (cashier people) are lectured to and about asking every customer for their Speedy card. It's Speedways policy that if you are an employee that you have to ask every customer if they have their Speedy Card. If you don't have a Speedy card or present one when making a purchase, the employee will scan a card. The card they scan keeps their scan rate up which indicates to management that at they are following company policy by asking for the customer's Speedy card. They are not "stealing" your points, simply keeping their scan rate up. Employees with low scan rates don't get raises, and sometime even get terminated.

Makes sense I guess, but I never understood why they (or Kroger/Turkey Hill gas stations for that matter) ask if I have a card when I buy smokes. Neither place gives you points or any discount for tobacco products on your card when you buy those products. :dunno:

Edit: Scooped by KJQ-bunchanumbers

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Makes sense I guess, but I never understood why they (or Kroger/Turkey Hill gas stations for that matter) ask if I have a card when I buy smokes. Neither place gives you points or any discount for tobacco products on your card when you buy those products. :dunno:

Edit: Scooped by KJQ-bunchanumbers

Well that and the info on what you are buying is still valuable to them... which is the real purpose on any of these programs, but I'm ok if they are not too intrusive, etc.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Well that and the info on what you are buying is still valuable to them... which is the real purpose on any of these programs, but I'm ok if they are not too intrusive, etc.

I suppose that's true. I know Kroger does some "tailoring" of the coupons they send me based on my purchases (not tobacco product coupons, but maybe they share that info with tobacco companies), which is a good thing for me.

beachhead40

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    North Of Indy
    I was fired for doing this and police brought in and tried to get me with fraud, I politely asked if I was being detained. They said no and I walked out. Scanning and using cards that aren’t yours. They were seriously trying to have me arrested printing up drinks and eating hotdogs. I won’t step foot in speedway and will only get gas in emergencies.

Top Bottom