• Which one?

• Total voters

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    I have one of each, a loaded M1A and a DPMS LR.308. I have never shot either one for some unknown reason. I bought them both new, loaded them up and only periodically take them out of their cases and clean them. The .308 that I do shoot on occasion is my FN FAL. It is probably no where near as accurate as the SA or the DPMS, but I just like shooting it.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    one of my favorite things about an m1a.... the iron sights. LONG sight radius, and LOW to the bore. Makes shooting fast with them oh so easy (eg 3-gun type use, or other "practical" applications). Being so low to the bore, you don't have the massive hold-overs up close like you do w/ an AR.

-rvb

This is also one of the things I like about it as well. I have never competed in 3 gun, but I do shoot "fast" at times, and you can get some very quick follow up shots on target with an M1A.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    If you get a newer M1A model, change out the main parts (bolt, op rod, trigger group) and replace them USGI parts. Then you'll have a Classic COOL battle rifle!
    View attachment 27022

Does that have any affect on function, or just 'cool factor'?

I'm going to say just the cool factor.
    Springfield uses a forged bolt same as USGI, new trigger groups use some MIM parts but so does almost every gun manufacturer now , op rods- as long as the tab is in spec. Yeah I'd like a bunch of SA, TRW, H&R, but if my SAI parts work why worry about it?
    The only issues I've ever heard of with bolts - some of the Chinese bolts were not heat treated correctly and the early SAI bolts were not forged

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Does that have any affect on function, or just 'cool factor'?

Honestly, no. I have 2 Springfield M1As(Socom and Standard) and have experienced 0 problems with them. Both of mine came with USGI trigger groups. The OpRods have functioned fine and the bolts are GTG. The only thing I might change would be to switch to an USGI extractor and add a bayonet lug.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Honestly, no. I have 2 Springfield M1As(Socom and Standard) and have experienced 0 problems with them. Both of mine came with USGI trigger groups. The OpRods have functioned fine and the bolts are GTG. The only thing I might change would be to switch to an USGI extractor and add a bayonet lug.

My standard is stock, except for like you said I changed out the flash hider for one with a bayonet lug

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    If you get a newer M1A model, change out the main parts (bolt, op rod, trigger group) and replace them USGI parts. Then you'll have a Classic COOL battle rifle!
    View attachment 27022

I do this in a more practical manner. I buy USGI spares of critical parts like I do for any other hard usage firearm I get. Whe the oriiginal goes south then I replace it. Never waste a good part on the .01% chance it might go bad.

Jake226

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 7, 2012
    Bloomington
    Had a loaded m1a and sold it....recently bought a Scout Squad m1a. I have to send the Scout back to Springfield for some work. Pretty disappointed with the craftsmanship on the scout compared to the loaded model.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I chose the M1A over a DPMS AR-10 but, I would choose a Springfield or other high quality AR-10 platform over a M1A.

Armalite is the only one who makes the AR-10.

DPMS and others make a 308 AR.

DPMS 308s are good ARs though, AFAIK Fulton Armory still use DPMS 308 BCGs and are still stamped "D" on the back

MAG58

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    I had to say M1A just because I've always wanted one since I was little but if I thought with my head and compared everything I'd probably end up with something AR10ish.
    That said I wonder what price point the (I'm assuming it's still in plans for production) PSA AR10 lower will come in at? If it's affordable enough I suspect the AR10 might eventually become the duplo version of the AR15's Lego's.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    For a 308AR, it'll probably never be like the AR-15 in terms of number of manuf. and interchangeability.

One reason why 308 ARs are so expensive, are the receivers. The only 2 companies I know of who use the same receivers were Hogan and POF only because Hogan made the receivers for POF before....well....lawsuits and a bunch of shady work thanks to Chris D. Other than that, AFAIK, 308 receivers are pretty much done in house and if not that then each company has their own "trademark" look which forges only make 1 style per customer.

Besides a handful of 308 receivers (DPMS, S&W, RR, Armalite, KAC), most are billet anyway which cost a lot more to produce. POF, Hogan, Quentin Defense, Mega, Seekins (oh the proto pics look SO sexy), Black Rain, CMMG, LaRue, Double Star (proto), SI Defense, JD Machine, and other machine shops. In house, no subcontracting, usually means expensive.

Plus there are 2 "accepted" cuts for 308. DPMS and Armalite. And even DPMS cuts from different manuf. won't always fit perfectly together. Some companies only sell their receivers as sets because that is the only guaranteed way of a good fit.

Several different thread patterns for the barrel nut and upper receiver. Armalite BCGs won't work in DPMs receivers and vice versa. Magazine capatibility. Finding anything compatible with the RRA 308 is a nightmare. DPMS style 308s use the same gas tubes as AR-15s. Armalite, nope, AR-10 gas tubes are different.

Then you have to worry about tang height differences. Troy, Midwest Industries, Samson, BRO, CMMG, Geissle, etc. some make low tang, high tang, both, or only Armalite thread.

Bolt carrier groups range a lot in price, Ice Arms and Botach make the 2 cheapest at $189 but reviews don't exist. Then DPMS and CMMG are $220s on up. Black Rains are $450 msrp.

Armalite use heavier firing pins and run the risk of slam firing like the M1A and Garand, but the Armalite BCGs have a firing pin spring in them while DPMS style does not.

So basically, 308 ARs are a giant PITA for manufacturers because there really is no "mil spec" to follow and they're aren't a huge number of companies making 308 AR parts. They're all bastards in their own way.

Plus feeding them is expensive.

Hell if you want a heavy buffer for a 308, the only one I know of is made by a guy named Slash and they're $100 just for a buffer because tungsten is pretty expensive.

Long rambling short, you won't have to worry about 308 ARs being generic.

They're like M1As, they're just expensive no matter how you make it. I have a feeling PSA's 308 will be around the same price point as a lot of DPMS rifles. The one teaser pic floating around of the PA-10 appears to have the same lower as the M&P10. So maybe the 308 will halfway become generic if a standard forge is set as a precedent, but even so another factor is the consumer. Some people like the idea of having a 308 AR. Then ammo costs keep then from purchasing a rifle.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Hell if you want a heavy buffer for a 308, the only one I know of is made by a guy named Slash and they're $100 just for a buffer because tungsten is pretty expensive.

Well, not really. I installed a VLTOR A5 buffer tube w/an Armalite AR-10 buffer spring on my LR-308. I now can swap regular AR buffers(H,H2,H3) in it so I'm not limited to just one buffer.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Well, not really. I installed a VLTOR A5 buffer tube w/an Armalite AR-10 buffer spring on my LR-308. I now can swap regular AR buffers(H,H2,H3) in it so I'm not limited to just one buffer.

Ha, didn't know there was a 7 position outside of POF. So yes, using that tube you could.

I guess I meant to say the only 308 heavy carbine buffer I know of

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    I'm currently shooting both. 2 Springfield M1-A's. A SOCOM 16, and a Camp Perry National Match. My .308 AR is a DPMS AP-4 .308 Carbine. To be honest I love all 3. The SOCOM 16 offers a lot of firepower in a small package. The National Match is a bit heavy, and a more specialized target rifle. The DPMS AP-4 is less ammo sensitive than the M1-A models because of it's direct impingement gas system. With the M1-A models you have to use ammo with mid range bullet weights, (150-165 grains). And a powder with a mid range burn rate. Varget and IMR 3031 are both good choices. If you use too slow burning powder you can have problems like bent op rods, etc. The DPMS is much more forgiving when it come to powder and bullet weights. Again, this is because it is not a piston design, and is less sensitive in that area.

If you choose a AR-10 type .308 rifle, go with the more common SR-25 Stoner platform. DPMS uses this platform, and they will accept Magpul P-Mags. The Armalite platform will not. The SR-25 is the more common, and it's much easier to find parts, bolt carrier groups, etc. As far as cost the DPMS is a bit cheaper. I owned both M1-A's before I purchased my DPMS early last year. It's been a great running rifle, and I'm very happy with it.

Top Bottom