• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kernal1984

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Scottsburg
    Got one this morning, saw lots more including one that nearly crawled onto my lap by accident. I guess I was sitting a little too still lol. Didn't get many shots with a rifle, could have bagged a few more with a shotgun. There was just too much cover and they were moving around instead of sitting and cutting.

The most exciting thing was happening upon two eastern box turtles getting freaky in the woods, snapped a pic too... :wrongdoor: :shady:

Pics or it didn't happen!:n00b:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We have popped 5 in the back yard just casually hanging out. We do not have to go into the woods looking....they come to us. We live in the city.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    They run my fence and come up to the patio. Rabbits under the shed.
    All can play and do as they wish.
    The only critters that don't leave my yard are 'possums and cats.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I have a giant squirrel in the backyard right now eatinga oreo. dad wont let me shoot him though he says its his squirrel. I am wanting to go hunting super bad but no one wants to cooperate.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Ran out for a couple hrs mid day.
    Buddy got a fox and a piney, missed a fox. I missed one piney and got another.
    Coulda shot one fox, but thought the angle too low so passed.
    I ran a .22 lr, he had a .17 Mach 2................that thing was simply awesome.
    I'm gonna get a bbl next!

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Went out for a bit behind the farm with my one year old Mountain Cur "Bella"....The minute we got in the woods I heard her start barking and she was laid up against a tree (basically dry humping it) with saliva flying and high pitched barking...

I kept looking up in the top of the tree and wasn't seeing anything but she wasn't leaving the tree....I finally lowered my gaze and there nearly 20 feet up the walnut holding on by the tips of her fingernails was the most scared chipmunk I ever saw in my life....I didn't even know they could climb trees....:):

Bella kept looking at me like, "F-ng there he is...SHOOT IT!!!! He is right there now shoot that dang thing!!!!"

I think I got some ticks because apparently laying down on a Perry County forest floor, rolling around and laughing hysterically is apt to cause that...:)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Pineys are red squirrels, there is no season on them (considered varmints).
    They don't really bark, can "cough" some, but their alarm call sounds more like a high pitched "buzz".
    I believe their range is state wide, have seen them in Orange and Greene counties, up to Allen and Pulaski.
    Small and quick.
    image.AmericanRedSquirrel.jpg

Last edited:

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I had 5 piney 's die from lead poisoning and now the chipmunks have replaced them.. set out rat traps with peanut butter.. just trying to keep the 2 springer pups I have from discovering what a rat trap is.. see lots of red fox squirrels. Just dont have time to go out back and hunt.. priority's...

possumpacker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    parke co
    shot 15 the first 4 days of season mostly greys. lots of nuts an lots of squirrels here this year. 3 buddys comin over on sat were goin on our anual hunt. sorry for the crappy pic will try to do beter sat evening

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    shot 15 the first 4 days of season mostly greys. lots of nuts an lots of squirrels here this year. 3 buddys comin over on sat were goin on our anual hunt. sorry for the crappy pic will try to do beter sat evening

Hard to tell for sure, but it appears you hold your rifle a lot steadier than your camera? :)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    What's the smallest shot that is adequate for reliably whacking squirrels from typical squirrel whacking distance? #6? #7-1/2? #4?

Top Bottom