• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    This afternoon was beautiful, so after the Colts game, I went down to the farm to enjoy the great weather. Got these two guys about 5:45. Saw 5 total tonight, and shot at 4 of them. Missed two and I'm still a little puzzled but I must have flinched and thrown the shot. Shot the bark off the tree in front of one of them, and the other must have hit a branch or something.

Funny thing is that the bigger one on the bottom was actually fighting / playing with another up in a big oak tree. I watched the ruckus for about 5 minutes and picked spot where he would come around a tree, and sit and taunt the other one. Came around and smacked him hard with the old .22!

My 7 year old daughter helped me bread them and fry them tonight for a nice little snack!

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Our family went out today. I took the 10-22. I didn't get anything, but I did get to spend an hour walking through the woods teaching my 4 and 6 year olds how to walk through the woods quietly, and what to look for :)

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    went out today with a slingshot didn't get any but i had a ball wondering around. if i had a gun or my bow i would have had my five in a few minutes.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    And my Hoosier hunting slump continues, and now the fishing slump has started. Only caught a baby snapping turtle this year. Went bow hunting yesterday, nothing. Son and I got bored sitting in woods listing to bird chatter. In the afternoon we decided to try to bag a squirrel or two with the shotguns we took along just in case we didn't get a deer. After an additional 3 hours of sitting near a mess of hickories we got tired of sitting there and came on home. It's not every day I can say I didn't see a single squirrel in the woods.

nickf2005

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Haha... well, it is my personal property that is adjacent with 4 others. Kind of a secret "honey-hole" that I'll probably keep to myself and my buddy. :)

Mbills knows where it is... maybe if you bribe him enough, he'll cough up the location.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Popped 2 more tonight while doing some scouting for deer season. One of them was actually sitting in my tree stand (large permanent stand built by my uncle 40 years ago). Took care of him, and then sat at the base of the stand, and his buddy made a few peeps and was looking right at me. He thought if he didn't move I wouldn't see him. Raised the gun up and popped him. I wonder if these were the two hooligans that were harassing me during deer season last year. Guess I'll find out in a few weeks!

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Missed one three times yesterday with the 1702 annie. 40 yds or so and many twigs between us. Then I had one come down to see what I was. Bad mistake.

Can't post the pic because a 17 mach2 makes a mess. 12 ft away and looking the other way the bullet split the hide like a knife between the shoulders and the eyes were gone with gray matter taking their place.
    Gruesome.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Missed one three times yesterday with the 1702 annie. 40 yds or so and many twigs between us. Then I had one come down to see what I was. Bad mistake.

Can't post the pic because a 17 mach2 makes a mess. 12 ft away and looking the other way the bullet split the hide like a knife between the shoulders and the eyes were gone with gray matter taking their place.
    Gruesome.

So if you're eatin' 'em, 17 mach2 may not be the best choice?

Yellowjeep

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Ft wayne
    I saw 6 of them deer hunting yesterday and they all were fatter than I have ever seen a squirrel before. Do you think that is a sign of cold winter heading our way. Have you guys and gals been seeing the same thing?

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I saw 6 of them deer hunting yesterday and they all were fatter than I have ever seen a squirrel before. Do you think that is a sign of cold winter heading our way. Have you guys and gals been seeing the same thing?

I saw several this weekend that looked like they were the size of housecats. Strangely it was the same spot I killed the two a couple of weekends ago that were normal size. Your theory sounds plausible....they may really be bulking up for the cold again this year. It could also be that we had a very good year for growing just about everything, so they've had plenty to eat.

Last edited:

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I have one in my barn once and awhile.. I call him bubba... biggest red fox squirrel I have ever seen. Did finally get the (hopefully) last piney while chewing up leaves the other day... chootin a tree rat from a lawn mower... no redneck stuff there....

Top Bottom