• ...and so much more!
  • Goober135

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Valparaiso
    I've hunted squirrel for some time, but not recently. :( I used to go with my dad and always used shotguns. I want to start hunting again this year, but to add a challenge I would like to use my .22 instead. What kind of optics do you all use and what range do you sight them in at?

Aslo, for all you from NWI, what are some good public places to hunt? All my squirrel hunting was done on private property of family friends we have since lost contact with.

I can't wait to get out into the woods andhave my dad make some of his famous curried squirrel stew! :)

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    I prefer my 17Mach II sighted in at 50 yards. Head shots only.

Haven't used a shotgun in a few years. wife got a piece of buckshot the first time she ate squirrel and hasn't tried eating one since.

Cherryspringer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Lafayette
    Squirrel hunting

My squirrel gun is a marlin 39 a with 3-9 x 50 bushnell. I can't say it's the best because I've never used anything else. I like the lever action because I don't have the loss of a blowback autoloader and with squirrels you only get one shot with a rifle.:yesway:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Keep in mind when you are using a rifle that you need to pass up on shots where the bullet is not going to hit the tree after going through the squirrel or you miss. So if you are doing it right, you are going to pass up a lot of shots that you would take with a shotgun. .22 bullets travel a long way. Safety first.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    .22lr rifle with either a 4x or 6x fixed scope sighted @ 50 yards.

And yeah, you always want to take a shot where the tree will act as your backstop. I can't tell you the number of times I've heard a shot and then a few seconds later I hear something wizzing through the leaves above/around me...:xmad:

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    My preference is to sight in @ 35 yds,using a marlin-glenfield bolt action,Std. vel. target ammo [real quiet]. 3-9X Simmons scope, head shots only,as previously noted. This early in the season,the leaves make getting a clear sight pic. really tough. If you want to max out on squirrels, go w/ a full choke shotgun, #4 shot, until the leaves thin out.

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    I usually wear a kevlar helmet and a bandoleer. Before I shoulder my Garand to pop that squirrel, chipmunk or little bird from the tree I scream ITS COMING RIGHT FOR US.

For Rabbit I use the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, Those Rabbits are Dynamite

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    I mainly use a Ruger 77/22 with a 3-9 power Pentax scope. Most of the time scope is set at 6. I zero my rifle in at 50 yards, anything under that is still dead on with this rifle and the rounds I use.I also sometimes carry a Marlin 60 or my 10/22. Both these rifles carry a 4 power scope, and have always served me well out in the squirrel woods. I have never hunted squirrels with a shotgun, have always used a 22. After the leaves are down I also like to take my Ruger Super Single Six, iron sighted, out. Makes for a great challenge stalking up to within pistol range of them.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    want to see TONS of squirrels, guaranteed???

Go deer hunting!

its a scientific fact all squirrels in the vicinity will surround you while deer hunting. I had one get actually climb inside my ground pop up blind when it was raining. at first i wanted to reach down and choke him. then i realized he was smarter then all his friends and was trying to stay dry. i let him stay. he actually didnt seem afraid of me at all. it was one of the craziest things ive seen while deer hunting.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    Anyone ever use the single shot pellet guns? Just curious as I've never been into squirrel hunting. Seems it would be safer than a 22 when your not deep in the woods.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    I've used a pellet gun when living in a sub where the lots were 1+ acres. Had to be careful the neighbors didn't see me. (MWAG!!!) The deal was if they climbed on the house they were fair game..wife's rules.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom