• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    I sometimes use one of the cheap Tasco red dots on my Ruger 10/22, but normally it is iron sites. The shotguns makes it easy if you're just looking to get one.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I call B.S.

QUOTE=ks23321;2096518]Just make it real challenging and use iron sites... shotguns almost a must until the leaves are gone though[/QUOTE]
    I've never hunted squirrels with anything but a rimfire rifle and I don't have any trouble finding and killing them.:rockwoot: Shotguns are for kids going the first time and wussys. I hate finding shot and fur in my lunch.:xmad:

.17 mach 2 is the best squirrel round EVER. Inside 25 hold a little high and anything between 25 and 75 hold right on. Head shots only, please.:draw:
    .22 rimfire is adequate but less crawl offs with the .17 and less chance of richochet.:yesway:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Guess I'm a wussy since I don't own a rimfire...

My 870 Wingmaster has 3 different barrels and all I need... when I don't feel like shooting the Hoyt.

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Have never squirrel hunted. For all squirrel hunters, any of you not eat the little critters?

Not against it, just curious if everyone really go crazy of the little "delicacy".

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Have never squirrel hunted. For all squirrel hunters, any of you not eat the little critters?

Not against it, just curious if everyone really go crazy of the little "delicacy".

95% of the time i ate the squirrel if i took it. the only times i have not eaten a squirrel was in the summer time having to dispatch a couple for tearing up stuff. i didnt want to risk parasites and they looked gangly....plus there wasnt much left from them after being struck by a 8mm mauser round

DThurston

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Shelby County
    95% of the time i ate the squirrel if i took it. the only times i have not eaten a squirrel was in the summer time having to dispatch a couple for tearing up stuff. i didnt want to risk parasites and they looked gangly....plus there wasnt much left from them after being struck by a 8mm mauser round

Thanks - I wondered what my newly acquired 8mm would do to one. Might save me the effort of cleaning/cooking one it sounds like! :rockwoot:

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    I'm gonna keep this as simple as I can because I don't measure anything when I cook, my mom nor my grandparents ever did so I've always just guessed.

Squirrel gravy:
    1. Kill squirrel
    2. Skin and clean squirrel
    3. Attach tail of squirrel to your antenna or trailer hitch
    4. Cut up squirrel, quarters I guess.
    5. Soak in salt water overnight
    6. Flour and fry squirrel in a cast iron skillet
    7. Use the leftover grease and bits of meat and breading in the skillet to make gravy, just like grandma made when she fried chicken.
    8. I like the gravy on a biscuit or potatoes or a slice of bread.

Not really fancy. But its good. Then AFTER dinner you can tell the in-laws it wasn't chicken :rockwoot:

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Would this be Cheating?
    ScopedMossberg.jpg

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Squirrel Goodness

My brother and I would pack 3 or 4 squirrels in the crock pot full of beer and 1/2 bottle of BBQ sauce and some garlic/onions. Let it simmer all day while we were at work. When got home we 'd pull out the pieces and strip out all the meat into a bowl. Add some BBQ sauce, black pepper, and serve it on buns, bread, or biscuits.

Great stuff. Also took the meat and added a jar of Prego...made squirrel spaghetti. Also great stuff.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville

I don't like the idea of eating rodents. I don't think they taste that bad, but I just don't like them. Usually, I give them to my parents. They love squirrel. Of course, both grew up during the Great Depression, so they learned not to be too picky.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I'm gonna keep this as simple as I can because I don't measure anything when I cook, my mom nor my grandparents ever did so I've always just guessed.

Squirrel gravy:
    1. Kill squirrel
    2. Skin and clean squirrel
    3. Attach tail of squirrel to your antenna or trailer hitch
    4. Cut up squirrel, quarters I guess.
    5. Soak in salt water overnight
    6. Flour and fry squirrel in a cast iron skillet
    7. Use the leftover grease and bits of meat and breading in the skillet to make gravy, just like grandma made when she fried chicken.
    8. I like the gravy on a biscuit or potatoes or a slice of bread.

Not really fancy. But its good. Then AFTER dinner you can tell the in-laws it wasn't chicken :rockwoot:

That's exactly how my parents do it! With the exception of the tail on the antenna, of course. ;)

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    Anyone ever use the single shot pellet guns? Just curious as I've never been into squirrel hunting. Seems it would be safer than a 22 when your not deep in the woods.

Yes, I have a RWS one with a 4x scope on. I have a few different .177 pellets for different purposes. Worked great with the little pests. Just one crank on the barrel and you're good to go. The pellets travel about 1,000 to 1,100 fps. With the newer Gammo one, it' goes up to 1,400 fps.

I have knocked down quite a bit of lizards, squirrels, and crows when I was living in LA.

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    well my first time getting one was in the late afternoon, it's still to hot for them to be out I think. Went out monday morning and got three fat ones, because it was nice and cool.

lon

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Top, Dead Center
    QUOTE=ks23321;2096518]Just make it real challenging and use iron sites... shotguns almost a must until the leaves are gone though

Quote;patience0830
    I've never hunted squirrels with anything but a rimfire rifle and I don't have any trouble finding and killing them.:rockwoot: Shotguns are for kids going the first time and wussys. I hate finding shot and fur in my lunch.:xmad:
    [/QUOTE]

Agreed...scoped .22 for me. The only reason I would use a shotgun is if I was meat hunting. I've never hunted them, but I think another shotgun exception can be made for grey squirrels down in southern Indiana, read they are kinda skittish and don't stay still very long.

well my first time getting one was in the late afternoon, it's still to hot for them to be out I think. Went out monday morning and got three fat ones, because it was nice and cool.

Congrats on your 1st squirrel.
    Besides cool, It helps a lot to hunt em when the wind is light. Makes spotting them by leaf and branch movement easier and you can hear them cutting nuts better.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Congrats on your 1st squirrel.
    Besides cool, It helps a lot to hunt em when the wind is light. Makes spotting them by leaf and branch movement easier and you can hear them cutting nuts better.

Absolute best time to go is early morning after a late afternoon soaking rain. Leaves on the ground are quiet, ground is soft, usually a cool morning. Leaves in the trees have mostly had time to drip dry. I'm going with my Uncle on Sunday morning for a couple of hours then we're gonna fish for a couple more hours.:rockwoot: I know one feller who Kills a TON of squirrels in MO and he uses and swears by the Solunar tables. He uses an anschutz in 17 hm2. You can't find the brains to eat 'em when he brings 'em in.:n00b:

Top Bottom