• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    It would be really nice if we could cap our politicians at the average our military men and women make. Takes a small burden off the taxpayers, and discourages people from becoming career politicians unless they're really in it to serve the people.:D

Really, what other job field can you vote to raise your own pay?

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    Reality
    Just for the record property taxes existed in 14 of the 15 states in 1796. A great many of the founding fathers were still alive, and would have been paying said taxes.

So to say it goes beyond their thinking of liberty, would be a stretch.

:twocents:

Was the tax at that time never-ending as it is currently?

I find the assumptive morale authority to even impose such a tax full of hubris...

inxs

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    It appears that property tax was the first form of taxation foisted upon our forebears by the founders of this country. Being an agrarian economy and property a good indicator of income and assets it worked pretty well. It must be remembered that direct taxes to the people where basically forbidden the government except for imposts and excises until 1916, so the Federal taxed the States a basic head tax which the States then took out of their property tax receipts.

Its not really a problem of the type of tax its the amount....

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    Reality
    I'll play devil's advocate: you make a choice when you decide to buy or accept ownership of property. Before buying the property, you know that you will be taxed based on the value of the property. Nobody forces you to purchase. Nobody forces you to retain ownership. It is a choice, as a citizen, you make of your own free will.

You could just as easily choose to rent. Of course the taxes in the property is included in the rent somewhere. But when your contract terminates, you may up and leave without any further obligation. If you do not like the way your taxes are spent in a jurisdiction, you may vote with your feet and take up residence rather easily.

Now, having said all that, it sucks that if you own a piece of property, it can be taken from you should you be unable to pay your taxes. But maintaining even a small government costs money and everybody will always have an excuse for why they shouldn't be taxed.

Good point. No one forces me to purchase, but the tax code sure is convincing in communicating the wishes of the govt.

I'm reminded of my thought processes which were exposed by my then 8 year old son. He asked me why we had to pay to use the roads outside of Chicago. Having grown up there, the notion never crossed my mind - having been conditioned that these fees were "normal."

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    Reality
    It would be really nice if we could cap our politicians at the average our military men and women make. Takes a small burden off the taxpayers, and discourages people from becoming career politicians unless they're really in it to serve the people.:D

Really, what other job field can you vote to raise your own pay?

And have it legal to do insider trading?

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Social Security and Medicare are federal not state.

Trust me.... I know.

My point is that I'm an advocate of straight consumption taxes... across the board.

The taxing of one's labor and one's property is bull****.

Last edited:

inxs

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    add the current sales tax and the state income tax plus the intangibles and all the other little taxes and you'll have your answer. BTW Tenn does have property tax-

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My point is that I'm an advocate of straight consumption taxes... across the board

OK, then I'm with ya.:D

No income, no property and above all NO CAPITAL GAINS TAX.

Tennessee has had the solution for years-9.75 % sales tax and no property tax. Could this work for Indiana

As long as we avoid the Tennessee tax on ammo, I with you fellers.:)

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    The notion that the state can take your property if you fail to pay a protection fee is ludicrous.

The tenant this country was founded on was property rights.

We're all slaves. I mean that literally. We must pay the masters for the house our land sits on, we must give them our wages and labor, we cannot buy or sell without paying them.

and they say slavery was abolished... LOL!

RockCreekRelics

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    It drives me crazy to know that I will never truly own the property that I have worked so hard to get. Property taxes will probably never be eliminated but I would at least like to see a sort of compromise that would work for both sides. I think a good start might be to allow a property owner to stop paying taxes on their primary residence and say up to 5-10 acres when they turn 55 years of age. Any property owned beyond that could still be taxed at a reduced rate until the owner or spouse are deceased.

The state would still be able to collect taxes for most of a persons adult life and at the same time remove the fear of losing ones home later in life. I say 55 years of age because it would allow the owner to wisely invest about 10 yrs worth of property tax fees and maybe have a small nest egg at retirement age.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    The notion that the state can take your property if you fail to pay a protection fee is ludicrous.

We're all slaves. I mean that literally. We must pay the masters for the house our land sits on, we must give them our wages and labor, we cannot buy or sell without paying them.

Well said.

Slavery is anything but abolished. If anything, it has been perpetuated. Have you seen what fearless leader and the rest of his statist pig henchmen have been selling our children and grandchildren into?

And yet we citizens stand by and allow it to happen.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Seems to me that the State has stolen our personal property rights out from under us by the imposition of the real estate tax.

With that tax, we never really "own" our property outright, even if we no longer have a loan, because we have an ongoing tax obligation. Don't pay your real estate taxes and eventually your property gets seized, sold and your taxes are paid. You may get what's left over (if any) but you are without your property. You can't even opt-out of the services provided via the taxes.

These rights were taken without a whimper, without a 'shot' fired (so to speak).

Your thoughts?

I've commented on this numerous times here...in a nutshell, it is neo-feudalism.

Property "owners" pay tribute in return for "protection plus" from their liege, and do so in perpetuity. If ever you should fail to deliver your tribute (no matter how long ago you completed the "purchase" of the property), the real owners will arrive, with lethal force if deemed necessary, to throw you off "your" land and "sell" it to another.

The manner of paying for schooling, constitutionally mandated or not, is immaterial to a clear description of the state of affairs relative to property taxes.

mydoghasfleas

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Undisclosed

:yesway:

Trust me.... I know.

My point is that I'm an advocate of straight consumption taxes... across the board.

The taxing of one's labor and one's property is bull****.

:yesway:

OK, then I'm with ya.:D

No income, no property and above all NO CAPITAL GAINS TAX.

As long as we avoid the Tennessee tax on ammo, I with you fellers.:)

:scratch:

Kirk, your like an enigma, wrapped in a riddle, surrounded by a conundrum. I cant guess where you will stand on any given issue. (dont say "on the right side" as tempting as that may be) I just wanted to share that cause my therapist says sharing is good for the voices in my head.:n00b: Sorry to interupt, carry on.

mydoghasfleas

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Undisclosed
    I've commented on this numerous times here...in a nutshell, it is neo-feudalism.

Property "owners" pay tribute in return for "protection plus" from their liege, and do so in perpetuity. If ever you should fail to deliver your tribute (no matter how long ago you completed the "purchase" of the property), the real owners will arrive, with lethal force if deemed necessary, to throw you off "your" land and "sell" it to another.

The manner of paying for schooling, constitutionally mandated or not, is immaterial to a clear description of the state of affairs relative to property taxes.

I could be wrong but I believe the indana state constitution has the funds being raised fer publik skoolin be with business taxes not personal property taxes.

BTW +1 to you sir!

Top Bottom