• indianajoe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    This is mine...

Senator Gard,

I was pleased that SB 292 passed the Senate, and was disappointed to see that you had voted nay on this bill. I am curious to know your reasoning for voting against this bill that increases personal freedoms of Indiana citizens.

I respectfully ask for your support on Senate Bill 506, which would allow a legal gun owner to transport a firearm in his vehicle even if he does not possess a License to Carry a Handgun (LTCH).

Under current law, a citizen who does not hold an LTCH CAN legally possess a firearm for defense of his family within the bounds of his home, but is legally prohibited from transporting that firearm to a designated shooting range for practice and instruction.

Passage of Senate Bill 506 would allow a citizen to increase her competency with a home defense firearm by allowing her to transport that firearm to a shooting range for training, even if she chooses not obtain an LTCH for purposes of daily carry.

Thanks for your consideration, and for your support of freedoms enshrined in the US Constitution and the Indiana Constitution.

Best,
    indianajoe
    Fishers, IN​

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Great letter, indianajoe! Yours is the second of two I've read today to Sen. Gard. I also wrote one to the Senator for my area, Ron Alting, to thank him for his votes so far and to urge him to continue voting pro-gun rights.

So... what about the rest of you? I'm not asking everyone to post their letters, but all of you who've written, sound off and let us know. For those who haven't written, every letter on their desks is a citizen who took the time to make his/her voice heard. For each one who did, there are several who did not. Let's get a thousand letters on 50 desks tomorrow, 2/16, and get SB 506 past Third Reading. Then we get to start all over with 100 Representatives.

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Only THREE INGOers wrote to their legislators? THREE????

SB 506 was not heard for Third Reading today. It's possible it will be tomorrow. It is as yet unknown if there will be a legislative session on Friday of this week.

Blessings,
    Bill

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    BoR I did email my senator regarding SB292 and SB506 (again) and based it very similar to what indianajoe wrote. I sent it last night via email but have yet to get a reply. I was going to follow up with a call asking to see if he got it. Sadly we are talking about Randolph here so unless Hell freezes I do not think we is ever going to vote pro-2A!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I wrote to all of my legislators, as I frequently do. I have never once gotten any response other than a pandering form letter two months later, and even those are rare.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Only THREE INGOers wrote to their legislators? THREE????

SB 506 was not heard for Third Reading today. It's possible it will be tomorrow. It is as yet unknown if there will be a legislative session on Friday of this week.

Blessings,
    Bill

Well were up to 6 now. :( I sent one earlier thanking my Senator (Hershman) on his support of SB292 and respectfully requesting that he support SB 506

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    THAT is more like it!

I will be at work today and unable to watch the Senate proceedings; if anyone out there can do so and transcribe (or better, save) the testimony on our bill, I would appreciate a copy. I can wait and watch it in two weeks when it's added to the archive, but I'm impatient and want to ridicule the usual suspects NOW! ( though actually, I'd much prefer to praise them for voting correctly, in line with the oaths they took...)

Blessings,
    Bill

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Senate vote tally on SB 506: 43 yeas 7 nays

The seven nays were predictable with few surprises:

Breaux
    Broden
    Lanane
    Randolph
    Rogers
    Simpson
    Taylor

Among the surprises were votes to pass from Wyss, Kenley, Tallian, Mrvan, and Skinner.

I'll be writing to thank my Senator for his vote and also writing my rep to support this bill;
    The pressure will be on now- the media has caught wind and the usual suspects are ramping up to defeat these bills and our hard-won victories.

Your letters mean more now than ever this session, but they will need to be repeated closer to the vote. For those who missed the chance to contact your senator before the vote, write to him/her now with thanks. As much as this might sound like an NRA campaign, I'm asking for no money, just your time and a little thought. Those notes are free to you to write.

Thanks for everyone's support so far!

Blessings,
    Bill

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

Breaux
    Broden
    Lanane
    Randolph
    Rogers
    Simpson
    Taylor

Among the surprises were votes to pass from Wyss, Kenley, Tallian, Mrvan, and Skinner.

I'll be writing to thank my Senator for his vote and also writing my rep to support this bill;
    The pressure will be on now- the media has caught wind and the usual suspects are ramping up to defeat these bills and our hard-won victories.

Your letters mean more now than ever this session, but they will need to be repeated closer to the vote. For those who missed the chance to contact your senator before the vote, write to him/her now with thanks. As much as this might sound like an NRA campaign, I'm asking for no money, just your time and a little thought. Those notes are free to you to write.

Blessings,
    Bill

So for those unlucky like me should we still write to our Senators to UNTHANK them. =p :faint:

Guess it's time to start calling my rep. But I suspect that he is no better in terms of 2A issues. **SIGH** too close to Chicago I guess.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Was it just me or is anyone else surprised 506 passed in its current form

(2) the person is lawfully present in or on private property, or in a vehicle, that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person;

Define person?

I think this will be taken as oh hey the owner of wal-mart is a person, the owner of this gas station is a person. Or am I just missing something here

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle

Breaux
    Broden
    Lanane
    Randolph
    Rogers
    Simpson
    Taylor

Blessings,
    Bill

Please don't apologize. This is a 2nd Amendment forum and you are helping me to stay updated on what is happening down in Indianapolis. So, I don't mind at all even though I don't always post here when I contact my reps. Here's a big :patriot: to you for following the bills so closely and then letting the rest of us know how things went.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel

Define person?

I think this will be taken as oh hey the owner of wal-mart is a person, the owner of this gas station is a person. Or am I just missing something here

I think you're missing something. The person being referred to is the gun carrier, which is obvious from the context. In statutory construction, the obvious meaning is to be given effect, and overly expansive meanings that are so overly expansive as to be ridiculous are to be avoided.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There

(2) the person is lawfully present in or on private property, or in a vehicle, that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person;

Define person?

Your quote is slightly misleading. Let's finish out the actual wording of section (2) and see how it reads...
    (2) the person carries the handgun on or about the person's body while lawfully present in or on property that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the person:
    (A) has the consent of the owner, renter, lessor, or person who legally controls the property;
    (B) is attending a firearms related event on the property, including a gun show, firearms expo, gun owner's club or convention, hunting club, shooting club, or training course; or
    (C) the person is on the property to receive firearms related services, including the repair, maintenance, or modification of a firearm;
    That means my wife, who does not possess a LTCH, can shoot on my buddy's land or MCF&G, can take a firearms course on private property, etc. As CarmelHP stated, it would take some serious reading between the lines to come to "Wal-mart is allowing me to carry my weapon here without a license".

Likewise, section (4) would allow her to ride to that firearms course with someone else, provided the weapon is carried according to the law...
    (4) the person carries the handgun while lawfully present in a vehicle that is owned, leased, rented, or otherwise legally controlled by another person, if the handgun is:
    (A) unloaded;
    (B) not readily accessible; and
    (C) secured in a case;

Stopping at Walmart for ammo, or the gas station for smokes and Cheetos, and carrying the weapon in would not be covered under this law.

If I've botched this analysis, someone please correct me (I'm picturing Bill of Rights, because he's smart and stuff).

Top Bottom