• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Two Senate bills which are very important to lawful Hoosier gun owners were passed by the Indiana Senate this week. Several Senators joined Senator Jim Tomes in sponsoring Senate Bill 292 (relating to the State broadening the existing preemption of local units of government ordinances pertaining to the 2nd Amendment) and Senate Bill 506 which would allow the transporting a handgun without a license under certain circumstances.

SB 506 was passed on a 43 to 7 vote on February 17. Six Democrat Senators joined the 37 Republican Senators in voting for the bill; 7 Democrats (Breaux, Broden, Lanane, Randolph, Rogers, Simpson, and Taylor) voted against the bill. SB 506 now goes to the House of Representatives for action.

SB 292 passed the Senate February 14 on a 38 to 12 vote. Democrat Senators Mrvan, Hume, Skinner, and Richard Young joined 34 Republicans in support of the bill; Three Republicans (Gard, Wyss, and Kenley) joined 9 Democrats in opposition. Like SB 506,SB 292 goes to the House now where it will probably be heard in early March. This is a
    very good bill -- contrary to what some are suggesting, it will not prevent the Super Bowl being played in Indianapolis and it will not allow criminals to carry firearms into courtrooms around Indiana -- and should be strongly supported by sportsmen as it goes to the House of Representatives.

SB 292 addresses the patchwork of differing local ordinances across Indiana -- from county to county and town to town. Under these local ordinances, the violation is an infraction upon which the municipality can merely impose a monetary fine of $1 up to $2500, but no jail time. Most of the expressed concerns by local officials are already dealt with by existing State law, which carries with it significant fines and possible prison time. It will bring about uniformity in laws relating to the Federal and State constitutional protection of one of Hoosiers' inherent rights.

According to newspaper and television reports, SB 292 will be the object of intense lobbying against the bill before the House hears the bill. These reports have identified three sources of opposition.

One is the Indiana Association of Cities and Towns (a lobbying group which receives taxpayer funding through the various Mayors and Councils). According to an article by the statehouse bureau chief for CNHI's Indiana newspapers, the Association will VEHEMENTLY oppose this pro-second amendment legislation. That is, they will be using
    sportsman's tax money to fight them.

Another is the Indianapolis Capital Improvement Board (CIB). Purported spokesmen for the CIB have suggested such things as "the NFL will take the Super Bowl away from Indianapolis." This proved to be a misleading assertion. The CIB operates the tax-built football stadium, the
    Convention Center, Conseco fieldhouse, and Victory Field. It is suggested that if SB 292 passes, these facilities will no longer attract any events. At the present time, the Colts and the Pacers can restrict through the purchase of tickets any firearms (or bottles of water, Pepsi, food, etc)
    from being brought in by fans. SB 292 will not change that.

The other opposition which is featured in the local newspaper and television is Jimmy Irsay whose Colts play in the government owned football stadium. According to the newspaper article, Jimmy
    "tweets" and "twitters" to vast numbers of people, and he reportedly tweeted "...I'm against it, so should u." Although SB 292 would not affect the Colts, the implication is there is a disdain for Hoosiers who enjoy the sport of shooting or wish to exercise their right of self-protection.

Law-abiding, gun owning Hoosiers who value the right to "keep and bear" should contact their Indiana House of Representatives member and urge them to support SB 292 and SB 506.

Addresses, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses are available on the website: www.in.gov/legislative. Also, all the information on bill texts, committee meetings, etc. is available at that website.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Your quote is slightly misleading. Let's finish out the actual wording of section (2) and see how it reads...

That means my wife, who does not possess a LTCH, can shoot on my buddy's land or MCF&G, can take a firearms course on private property, etc. As CarmelHP stated, it would take some serious reading between the lines to come to "Wal-mart is allowing me to carry my weapon here without a license".

Likewise, section (4) would allow her to ride to that firearms course with someone else, provided the weapon is carried according to the law...

Stopping at Walmart for ammo, or the gas station for smokes and Cheetos, and carrying the weapon in would not be covered under this law.

If I've botched this analysis, someone please correct me (I'm picturing Bill of Rights, because he's smart and stuff).
    Thanks! Apparently late last night my mind decided to stop reading

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Passing the House.

True, but that's broken down into several steps. The bills have to be assigned to House committees. They have to be discussed and voted upon in committee and recommended to pass to the full House. Once there, they will need to pass their Second Reading, then Third Reading and vote, at which time they will become "enrolled acts" and go to Gov. Daniels' desk. The bills can be amended in committee or on Second Reading. If the same rule is present in the House as is in the Senate, the bill(s) can be recommitted for a specific amendment even on Third Reading, as we saw on SB 506.

The last step is Gov. Daniels' signature. While I don't imagine he will veto any of these bills, it is technically possible. I would have to research what supermajority of the General Assembly's two Houses would have to vote to pass them and override such a veto.

If I recall correctly, the bills can also become law without his signature. They all (I think) become effective July 1, 2011, presuming all steps happen as we want them to.

Blessings,
    Bill

wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Only THREE INGOers wrote to their legislators? THREE????

SB 506 was not heard for Third Reading today. It's possible it will be tomorrow. It is as yet unknown if there will be a legislative session on Friday of this week.

Blessings,
    Bill

I wrote to both of mine - don't assume because we haven't posted here that we have not made our voices heard!

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    My letter to Rep. Stevenson:
    Sir;
    I am writing to encourage you to support passage of Senate Bills 292 and 506 in the House.

I respectfully ask for your support on Senate Bill 506, which would allow a legal gun owner to transport a firearm in his vehicle even if he does not possess a License to Carry a Handgun (LTCH).

Under current law, a citizen who does not hold an LTCH CAN legally possess a firearm for defense of his family within the bounds of his home, but is legally prohibited from transporting that firearm to a designated shooting range for practice and instruction.

Passage of Senate Bill 506 would allow a citizen to increase her competency with a home defense firearm by allowing her to transport that firearm to a shooting range for training, even if she chooses not obtain an LTCH for purposes of daily carry.

SB 292 addresses the patchwork of differing local ordinances across Indiana -- from county to county and town to town. Under these local ordinances, the violation is an infraction upon which the municipality can merely impose a monetary fine of $1 up to $2500, but no jail time.

Most of the expressed concerns by local officials are already dealt with by existing State law, which carries with it significant fines and possible prison time. It will bring about uniformity in laws relating to the Federal and State constitutional protection of one of Hoosiers' inherent rights.

I am sure that you will be pressured by lobbyists and special interests to vote against these bills, but please remember that these bills do not make owning or obtaining easier for criminals, they merely allow law abiding citizens to be confident in their ability to stay within the law without inadvertently being in violation.

Thanks for your consideration, and for your support of freedoms enshrined in the US Constitution and the Indiana Constitution.

As you can see I borrowed heavily from other posts, but they are better written than what I could do on my own. I hope that there are no objections

Last edited:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I only sent emails. I'm a slacker like that.

Sen. P. Boots and Rep. T. Brown both have a very positive voting history on firearms related bills so I always include thanks for that.

Thanks for all the updates in this thread. This is looking to be a fine session for Indiana gun owners. :yesway:

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Defiance

I’d like to explain why I chose to introduce the two senate bills SB 292 (Preemption) and SB 506 (Transporting a handgun) that have garnered so much attention.

The purpose and intent of my action was to draw attention to the fact that government has increasingly chiseled away liberty for so long on so many fronts that many folks seem unconcerned except when someone tries to reclaim what’s been take away.

I don’t know what the Founding Fathers were thinking when crafting our Constitution and Bill of Rights and not considering the concerns of promoters of ball games and concerts. Surely there were many of those individuals deeply involved in the Revolutionary War and manned the front lines on the battlefield.

It really has been an experience for me this past week with the uproar from the media over all of this. Things have gone so far that even Alan Colmes called me Friday night for an interview on his national radio show. (See Attachment) This was about a 15 minute segment. It was somewhat enjoyable especially about two thirds of the way into the interview when Mr. Colmes thanked me for “hosting his show”.

Folks, this whole episode goes well beyond guns. For me this is an experiment to see what resistance there is out there for the next big showdown. What will it be? I don’t know, maybe defying big brother government and the U.S. Supreme Court and challenge to bring prayer back in public schools or prohibiting abortion or a number of other social issues.

It could be to take a stand on state sovereignty or establish rule of law. I don’t what lies ahead for me; I’ll just take it as it comes. One thing I do think I’ll learn in these next four years and that is just how far off course we are as a nation and how many are willing to pull us back on track.

Also please contact your State Rep. and let them know you want them to support SB 292 and SB 506, with no amendments

Jim Tomes

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    We just returned from a 7 day caribbean cruise (I won't bore you with the details about the warm sand, blue waters or copious amounts of alcohol), during one of the short periods that we were in our cabin I had the t.v. on for a few minutes and they kept showing background shots of the RCA dome and the new stadium so we turned the sound up and the "question of the day" was Should we be allowed to carry firearms into sporting events? I don't know what the news outlet was other than it was some british dude hosting the show, I watched for a few minutes and they never did mention sb292, they just focused on carry at sporting events. We were bewildered about what they were actually discussing but now understand, it was the spin/slant cycle put on by the antis, jeesh how pathetic!!!

Top Bottom