• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    When I was a teen, me and some buddies would hang out in the woods at night. One night we were walking down a lake dam road and started hearing noises in the pitch blackness. We all stopped and some of us said it sounded like a deer rustling around down in the gorge. We listened further and I said that sounds bipedal. More listening and the guys agreed that it sounded bipedal.

We were at the edge of the woods looking into pitch blackness as the footsteps sounded more like a long gaited walk coming up the valley. My friends were starting to freak out in whispers as the gait became a biped in full running and getting closer.

As the stomping and rustling of leaves and breaking twigs came up the valley, my blood pressure was rising as sheer terror wanted to overcome me. My friends had already ran back up the road as I stood there facing my fear. I stood there bracing for imminent contact as my eyes tried to make out what was approaching in the pitch black. The sound of trampling footsteps ran directly up the hill to the very edge of the woods, and stopped within feet.

I didnt close my eyes, I stood there daring whatever it was to come forward. No sound.

I took a breath, turned my back and walked back up the trail and out of the woods.

This happened in 1987 in southern Indiana.

xcalibur

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    When I was a teen, me and some buddies would hang out in the woods at night. One night we were walking down a lake dam road and started hearing noises in the pitch blackness. We all stopped and some of us said it sounded like a deer rustling around down in the gorge. We listened further and I said that sounds bipedal. More listening and the guys agreed that it sounded bipedal.

We were at the edge of the woods looking into pitch blackness as the footsteps sounded more like a long gaited walk coming up the valley. My friends were starting to freak out in whispers as the gait became a biped in full running and getting closer.

As the stomping and rustling of leaves and breaking twigs came up the valley, my blood pressure was rising as sheer terror wanted to overcome me. My friends had already ran back up the road as I stood there facing my fear. I stood there bracing for imminent contact as my eyes tried to make out what was approaching in the pitch black. The sound of trampling footsteps ran directly up the hill to the very edge of the woods, and stopped within feet.

I didnt close my eyes, I stood there daring whatever it was to come forward. No sound.

I took a breath, turned my back and walked back up the trail and out of the woods.

I don't like cliffhangers. Can you make up a different ending?

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Yup. Bigfoot.

Right before bedtime, sheesh.

Good story, and I don't doubt you one bit, but dangit I want to know if it was a smelly bigfoot or hill people that can see in the dark.

You coulda been raped.

gvsugod

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   1
    Mar 19, 2012
    SW Indianapolis
    I am racking my brain thinking of what I saw.

1) I shot a deer one evening, went gutted it, hauled it out of the swamp. The gutpile was only about 75 yds from my blind. The next morning I went back to the same blind, and I was sitting there and a huge pack of crows swooped down on the gut pile. Next thing you know I look up and a hawk is circling the area, he swoops down and kicks the crows off. Next thing you know a bald eagle came and kicked the hawk off. Then the crows came back and ran the eagle off. This circle went on the entire day, nearly dawn to dusk.

2) Near the woods by my dads old house we found a tombstone with a females name from the 1800's, she died very young like somewhere around 10.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs

That was Will Robinson.
    He got separated from his family and that danged Dr. Smith tricked him into trying out a space/time machine and he landed back in time right in those very woods. I saw that episode.
    He made it back ok, so don't worry.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    A few years ago, I was taking a walk-about in the woods during mushroom season. I had walked for some time; around the swamp, up hills and down into the valleys. It was a beautiful day, sunny and warm in the clearings.

The stand of trees was old growth, tall and full, which provided a high canopy of sorts blocking direct sunlight which resulted in an eery ambient light similar to a full moon in a December woods.

As I walked, I was cognizant of a total lack of modern day noise polution; no voices or screams/yells nor machinery or ringtones of any kind. The forest floor was devoid of any bushes or briars making it refreshingly easy to traverse if not for the constant change in grade.

The hills had not a sharp incline, but long and frequent enough to be something of a workout. While climbing, I would inevitably get to that mental state were it became all about getting to the top. Once there, I would have a short reprieve of flat ground, then fall and rise, repeat... This reprieve lasted as long as it took me to walk the 50 to 100 feet while "looking" for mushrooms.

These hills formed ridges falling towards a creek bed below. As I stood above looking out, I thought how beautiful. What a blessing to witness this scenic view of nature complete with various critters working their craft of survival.

As I peaked the crest of a hill, I spied old headstones from a long forgotten burial site. They were the thin, narrow 2' tall variety. I spent the next hour reading the stones which predated the civil war to shortly thereafter. Just thinking of the events in that time period and people they would have known that had lived during significant national events and personal strife was humbling.

I noted that there were quite a few children and young adults. Obviously a very tough time...

xcalibur

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    Not at all.

Your encounter left me hanging. I wanted to know what this terrifying beast was. So I was jokingly suggesting to embellish the ending other than walking away.

Are you questioning the believability of my story? It's not like I said I saw bigfoot or a ufo.

To this day I dont know what it was and I'm fine with leaving it at that.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I bumped into Bunnykid in his "Nights who say NI" outfit once. He demanded-----"A SHRUBBERY!"
    picture.php

Czarcasm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2012
    Not the most interesting, but just south east of greenfield on a gravel road there were 3 wild dogs tearing apart a deer. we stopped right next to them a few feet away and they didn't move a inch, they all looked up, 2 kept on chomping and one glared his teeth. Didn't know there were wild dog around here

nrbq

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2012
    knox county
    #

I was walking the brush with a neighbors beagle about 30 ft. from me, I kicked up a rabbit and he made a dead run toward the dog and kicked him in the face and the dog yelped.

Crampa

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Plymouth, In.
    Many moons ago when I was a lot younger, my Brother and I went deer hunting one morning. We walked down along this woods in the predawn darkness. He climbed up in a old abandoned grain truck along the edge of the woods. I went on down along the woods about fifty yards. I crawled up in an old make shift treestand. It had gotton light enough to see, and I was looking in the direction of my Brother I could see him in the back of the truck when out of the wood line flew a owl and and hit my Brother in the side of his head flying away with his orange stocking cap. This knocked my Brother off the barrel he was setting on. I got down and went as quickly as I could to see if he was ok. He was stunned but ok. We never did find that stocking cap.

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    woods

A few years ago my wife and I were hiking in brown county. She saw a toad so she picked it up. That's what she does with toads. It was a big one. reddish color. It didn't try to hop away or anything. Just sat there. She put it down and we went on her way. About 50 yards from where she picked up the toad she said she felt light headed so we sat down on a log. Then she was out completely. She woke up again a few min later and I went and got her some water and we went on. She was fine then. I didn't know we had poison toads in Indiana.

We went back this past summer and on the trail marker sign someone has written beware of poison toads.

Jason

DBoller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    One time my dad here in Northeast Indiana, was deer hunting in our backyard. He looked up and there was a bald eagle in the tree above him. He said it was so cool seeing it so close and how big it looked up close. Not really strange but really neat considering you never hear of bald eagles being around this part of the state.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    I've got a few good ones I'll share:

#1. High Springs Florida along the Suwannee River. I was on vacation for two weeks and one of my favorite Florida hobbies is freshwater spring hopping. I was snorkeling headed down stream. I saw a decent sized creek formed by a freshwater spring a little ways back in the woods. I decided to check it out so I made my way back to the mouth of the spring and was completely let down when I saw the "spring" that was just a 12" x 24" hole in the ground less than six inches under water. Out of nowhere I heard this @$$ hole puckering laugh to my right. A man, whom looked like you could put into any Jack Kerouac story, standing in his makeshift tree house staring at me with a weird grin. A hermit...great...and I'm standing in his watering hole. #$%@. I booked it back to the river and kept going down stream and that was that.

#2. When I was younger, about sixteen years ago, my dad took me to Wyandotte Lake in Crawford County Indiana. We had hiked a short ways along the path around the lake and then decided to head back to the car. On the way back I had to pee. I just walked to the side of the trail pulled my pants down and started flowing. My dad said my name and then motioned for me to back up slowly. Me being a kid, well, I didn't care so I kept peeing. He then said "this is serious! Back up slowly!" At this point I started singing "This is serious" to the tune of Row Row Your Boat while peeing. Unbeknownst to me, I was pissing on two Copperhead snakes basking in the sunlight on the side of the trail. They slid away as soon as I realized what I just did. Whew!

#3. About three years ago I was on a ridge walk / camping trip in Hoosier National Forest. Our campsite was close to a field that had an abandoned cabin. It was not empty by a long shot. To the side of the entrance door there was a yellow rubber duck sitting on a ledge. The first floor was furnished and school year books, social security cards, family albums, Richard Nixon pamphlets... Everything had collected dust and the place had obviously not been used for some time. The second floor contained a small personal library, a HAM radio, 12" records, and lots of clothes. It was pretty creepy... Pictures below:
    picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Top Bottom