• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    very true. I found CCI Standard Velocity to have that consistency in my 10/22 and my Mark IV. I tried several others but never had the results as I did cci. Aguila is just plain dirty and inconsistent. I got a lot of jams with them. Wildcat, couldn’t even shoot a mag without some sort of issue. Federal was pretty good and what I shot before trying to go farther than 50yds. But just not consistent enough for longer distances. Eele is just too expensive.

Actually I've found CCI SV to not be much better than Aguila, Minimags, or any other mass produced ammo. To get real consistency look to Europe for the source, like Eley, SK, and Lapua. Even their lower end offerings are more consistent than about anything made this side of the ocean. At 50-75 yds there may not be much difference accuracy-wise, but once you get out past 100, there is a definite difference. With my T1x I get consistent 2" groups at 150 using SK Standard+ and Rifle Match; and Eley Action and Club. I haven't shot any of the super expensive like TenX or Midas, as I've set a hard limit on ammo cost.

Triton

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2020
    New Albany
    Just to add this in.... when I started Shooting anything more than plinking at golf balls or empty shotgun shells is when I bought a 10/22 and made it a bench gun rather than traditional shoulder like I grew up with.

I Put on a bipod, bought a Nikon P-Rimfire 3x9x50. A cheap rural king bench bag set (5lb bag of dry beans is extra) and a $5 moving blanket from Harbor Freight. Bought ammo by the 500 brick so I could really get a feel for how it worked in that particular rifle.

The iPhone app for the Nikon scope was fantastic. I had never seen or dealt with ballistics but this app simplified it enough to where I was able to sight it in at 50 and learn where I need to aim to hit something at 75. Next I went to 100 from a zero at 50.

I was hooked at that point. That’s when I started narrowing down my ammo, upgraded some parts (BX trigger, Volquartsen extractor, better bipod, etc.) and started reading up on how to use a scope and what this MOA really means.

Triton

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2020
    New Albany
    At 50-75 yds there may not be much difference accuracy-wise, but once you get out past 100, there is a definite difference. With my T1x I get consistent 2" groups at 150 using SK Standard+ and Rifle Match; and Eley Action and Club.

interesting. I will have to give one of those a try. I do find it frustrating when shooting at 200 because there are time I know the shot was true but it was way off. You can see the round as it comes off it’s arc at that distance with the scope. At that distance you have a ton of deviation if there’s a imperfection.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    One more thing to add. If you're considering getting really serious in long range .22 shooting, RimfireCentral.com has a forum set up just for 200 yd+ shooting. Lots of tips and tricks from some really serious LR shooters.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Now that we're talking about it I do remember setting up a 6" plate at 200 yards last summer and ringing it regularly that day. Must be an HHRP thing. My data indicates ~24 MOA holdover with my Kidd "10/22" and SK Long Range Match ammo.

That combination has done this at 50 and 100 yards...

bvIDRLa.jpg

7OSsJKH.jpg

fsIxBuN.jpg

I'm going to have to put it on paper at 200.

Pure entertainment! :ingo:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Now that we're talking about it I do remember setting up a 6" plate at 200 yards last summer and ringing it regularly that day. Must be an HHRP thing. My data indicates ~24 MOA holdover with my Kidd "10/22" and SK Long Range Match ammo.

That combination has done this at 50 and 100 yards...

bvIDRLa.jpg

7OSsJKH.jpg

fsIxBuN.jpg

I'm going to have to put it on paper at 200.

Wow so this is what an upgraded 10/22 can do. That's very accurate for 100yds my stock 10/22 slim barrel with Eley force groups at 50 0.673 10 shot group. Your rifle does that at 100yds.

It would be great to see how it does at 200 yards. If you get the chance to hit paper out that far sometime.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It is a Kidd barreled action and trigger group in a Victor Titan stock with a Vortex Diamondback 4x16 FFP scope. The only Ruger Parts are the mags.:)

I have really enjoyed watching your journey with precision rifle shooting. :thumbsup:
    Anything 50 yds. or above is precision shooting to someone trapped at 25 yds. :dunno:
    My 10/22 has an upgraded trigger (couldn't help myself) & the RPR has a Green Mountain barrel.
    Both bought from the same member :ingo: who I have bought his "leftovers" for years now as he moves up the ladder, mostly with handguns.
    We'll see if it does any good with my eyes & bad habits. :laugh:
    I can't wait to find out where the limitations are & whether I'll be staying at 50 yds. or trying to find my place at 100 yds. or somewhere between.
    Shooting steel at 100 yds. should be less depressing than paper targets. :lmfao:

Keep those targets coming!
    I can't even get the "one-hole" going yet at any distance.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have really enjoyed watching your journey with precision rifle shooting. :thumbsup:
    Anything 50 yds. or above is precision shooting to someone trapped at 25 yds. :dunno:
    My 10/22 has an upgraded trigger (couldn't help myself) & the RPR has a Green Mountain barrel.
    Both bought from the same member :ingo: who I have bought his "leftovers" for years now as he moves up the ladder, mostly with handguns.
    We'll see if it does any good with my eyes & bad habits. :laugh:
    I can't wait to find out where the limitations are & whether I'll be staying at 50 yds. or trying to find my place at 100 yds. or somewhere between.
    Shooting steel at 100 yds. should be less depressing than paper targets. :lmfao:

Keep those targets coming!
    I can't even get the "one-hole" going yet at any distance.

How many different ammo types and brands have you tested for your rifles? It could be as simple as finding the right ammo for your rifles. I've tried so far 12 different offerings from multiple companies. My finicky 10/22 likes CCI Quik Shok, and Eley force the best. Agulia Super Extra 40gr comes in 3rd so far. I just picked up 3 different offerings yesterday to test.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    How many different ammo types and brands have you tested for your rifles?
    It could be as simple as finding the right ammo for your rifles.
    I've tried so far 12 different offerings from multiple companies.
    My finicky 10/22 likes CCI Quik Shok, and Eley force the best.
    Agulia Super Extra 40gr comes in 3rd so far. I just picked up 3 different offerings yesterday to test.

Not many brands, mostly just used CCI SV.
    I found this pic using the CCI SV & CCI Blazer & Winchester.
    The Blazer acquitted itself as good as the CCI SV.
    But, it was only 50'.
    B/C of the distance being so short, this pic doesn't tell me much about the ammo.
    DGMOVKH.jpg

Comparing the RPR with the 10/22 using just CCI at only 50'.
    w00yuJv.jpg

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Not many brands, mostly just used CCI SV.
    I found this pic using the CCI SV & CCI Blazer & Winchester.
    The Blazer acquitted itself as good as the CCI SV.
    But, it was only 50'.
    B/C of the distance being so short, this pic doesn't tell me much about the ammo.
    DGMOVKH.jpg

Comparing the RPR with the 10/22 using just CCI at only 50'.
    w00yuJv.jpg

Looks pretty good. I doubt a squirrel or rabbit walks away from you at 50 yards or even 100 yards.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Looks pretty good. I doubt a squirrel or rabbit walks away from you at 50 yards or even 100 yards.

By this time next month we'll know the truth: good, bad, ugly or embarrassing. :laugh:
    Can't wait to shoot & take pics of the 1st offerings.
    Hopefully, I'll get better when I learn about breathing, how to properly hold & pull a trigger & things I've only read about.
    Someone like gmcttr could teach me alot since he's been down this path hot & heavy the past year or two, maybe more.
    We've gotten together before, so maybe again.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    By this time next month we'll know the truth: good, bad, ugly or embarrassing. :laugh:
    Can't wait to shoot & take pics of the 1st offerings.
    Hopefully, I'll get better when I learn about breathing, how to properly hold & pull a trigger & things I've only read about.
    Someone like gmcttr could teach me alot since he's been down this path hot & heavy the past year or two, maybe more.
    We've gotten together before, so maybe again.

If you can dry fire your rifles you can practice breathing, holding breath, and trigger pull at home. Do they make snap caps for 22lr? If so that might be an option for practice.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    I use small wall anchors. Forget exact size but fit perfect. Typically the ones I get are yellow Not sure if size and color coordinate
    If you can dry fire your rifles you can practice breathing, holding breath, and trigger pull at home. Do they make snap caps for 22lr? If so that might be an option for practice.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I use small wall anchors. Forget exact size but fit perfect. Typically the ones I get are yellow Not sure if size and color coordinate

Thanks for the heads up. I just searched for what you are talking about. They say use #4-6 7/8" plastic anchors. I'll have to give that a try.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    they work great. Probably can get a life time supply for what a small pack of snap caps would cost

Thanks for the heads up. I just searched for what you are talking about. They say use #4-6 7/8" plastic anchors. I'll have to give that a try.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    By this time next month we'll know the truth: good, bad, ugly or embarrassing...

Most (all?) outdoor ranges of 50 yards or more are going to have solid benches to shoot from where you can use good front and rear support under the rifle. This will help a vast amount over indoor ranges where I'm guessing that at best you are resting the front of the rifle on a bag without rear support.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Most (all?) outdoor ranges of 50 yards or more are going to have solid benches to shoot from where you can use good front and rear support under the rifle.
    This will help a vast amount over indoor ranges where I'm guessing that at best you are resting the front of the rifle on a bag without rear support.

What? Sounds like you've done this before! :rofl:
    You are so right & I hadn't thought of that! :dunno:
    Last year, I was getting some tips from a member who was helping me sight in my scopes & figure out what I needed for stock configuration out at MCF&G, but I don't remember using a support for the back of the rifle. :scratch:
    I might gain 1/4" better groups. :laugh:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    What? Sounds like you've done this before! :rofl:
    You are so right & I hadn't thought of that! :dunno:
    Last year, I was getting some tips from a member who was helping me sight in my scopes & figure out what I needed for stock configuration out at MCF&G, but I don't remember using a support for the back of the rifle. :scratch:
    I might gain 1/4" better groups. :laugh:

Where do you go for your outdoor range?

Top Bottom