Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Where do you go for your outdoor range?

It was in my post: "out at MCF&G."

Marion County Fish & Game
    7052 Crawfordsville Rd, Indianapolis, IN 46214

I've been there 3 or 4 times with members & I'm finally going to get a membership next month, hopefully.
    I'm taking the firearms safety class July 7th & handing in my paperwork & paying the fees then.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    It was in my post: "out at MCF&G."

Marion County Fish & Game
    7052 Crawfordsville Rd, Indianapolis, IN 46214

I've been there 3 or 4 times with members & I'm finally going to get a membership next month, hopefully.
    I'm taking the firearms safety class July 7th & handing in my paperwork & paying the fees then.

Only places off property I've been to is Switzerland County Sportsman Club and Crosley Fish & WIldlife Area Shooting Range. Both are around an hour drive one way yet are the closest for me. I was wondering if you were close enough to meet up but I imagine that might be a long drive for you as well.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Only places off property I've been to is Switzerland County Sportsman Club and Crosley Fish & WIldlife Area Shooting Range. Both are around an hour drive one way yet are the closest for me. I was wondering if you were close enough to meet up but I imagine that might be a long drive for you as well.

I'm retired! Driving is not an issue but a pleasure! :thumbsup:
    I go for convertible drives for an 1 hr.+ just to get out of the house. :lmfao:
    Each time I drive back from P.Blk. in Greenwood I always go South & East before I go North & West to get back to Wanamaker.
    My 20 minute trip home takes an hour, just enjoying the countryside. :rockwoot:

I drove 1:30 (longer b/c we got lost :ugh:) to Crosley Gun Range in N. Vernon 3 weeks ago.
    Translation: driving is no issue. :):
    I used to drive down to Columbus, IN to shoot with gmcttr 1x/yr before they shut the outdoor range down: we were busy shooting the CZ Shadow 2 the time, not rifles.

Just pm me the address, day & time: the earlier in the day the better. :coffee:
    When you pm me I can give you me cell number, if that's easier (I checked & I haven't bought/sold anything with you (yet) so you're not in my cell :laugh:).
    I am supposed to get with zachcz some time this week around 5 pm one evening at P. Bk. :ingo:

Both places you mentioned are about the same time from me (1:20 & 1:30), so either is fine, although since I've been to Crosley, it would be OK to go to Switzerland to check it out: your call, though!
    I'll look froward to getting together when you're available! :thumbsup:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I'm retired! Driving is not an issue but a pleasure! :thumbsup:
    I go for convertible drives for an 1 hr.+ just to get out of the house. :lmfao:
    Each time I drive back from P.Blk. in Greenwood I always go South & East before I go North & West to get back to Wanamaker.
    My 20 minute trip home takes an hour, just enjoying the countryside. :rockwoot:

I drove 1:30 (longer b/c we got lost :ugh:) to Crosley Gun Range in N. Vernon 3 weeks ago.
    Translation: driving is no issue. :):
    I used to drive down to Columbus, IN to shoot with gmcttr 1x/yr before they shut the outdoor range down: we were busy shooting the CZ Shadow 2 the time, not rifles.

Just pm me the address, day & time: the earlier in the day the better. :coffee:
    When you pm me I can give you me cell number, if that's easier (I checked & I haven't bought/sold anything with you (yet) so you're not in my cell :laugh:).
    I am supposed to get with zachcz some time this week around 5 pm one evening at P. Bk. :ingo:

Both places you mentioned are about the same time from me (1:20 & 1:30), so either is fine, although since I've been to Crosley, it would be OK to go to Switzerland to check it out: your call, though!
    I'll look froward to getting together when you're available! :thumbsup:

I'll definitely get ahold of you when I get a chance to do some more shooting.

Mark106

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 15, 2020
    Terre Haute
    I'm brand new to .22s at longer ranges and got my new rifle & scope out for the first time on Saturday (target below). I then shot in one of the Riley Conservation Club matches (paper gopher targets at 110, 165, 200) on Sunday.
    Had an issue or two with my holds and such and didn't do as well as I'd hoped, but I didn't suck out loud, either. Was a good time and I learned a lot.
    The .22 long range guys at RCC are really nice and helped me get started. Going again on Wednesday for a steel silhouette match at same distances. Good dudes, good range safety, very welcoming and encouraging atmosphere.
    Target from Saturday pictured here is a five-shot group at 110 yards from Caldwell X-shaped sandbag. CZ 457 with a Vortex 6-24x50 Diamondback Tactical Scope, Wolf Match Extra.
    110.jpg

three50seven

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    Miami County
    Not exactly what you're asking about, but a buddy and I used to shoot at 100 or 125 yds quite often, with open sights...

He has a Winchester model 75 and I have a Marlin 39A. Both wear rear aperture sights, and both can consistently knock down a 3" steel plate at 100 yds.

I actually killed a starling at a measured 92 paces with my 39A earlier this year. Shooting that far with a .22 and no magnification is a ton of fun!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Not exactly what you're asking about, but a buddy and I used to shoot at 100 or 125 yds quite often, with open sights...

He has a Winchester model 75 and I have a Marlin 39A. Both wear rear aperture sights, and both can consistently knock down a 3" steel plate at 100 yds.

I actually killed a starling at a measured 92 paces with my 39A earlier this year. Shooting that far with a .22 and no magnification is a ton of fun!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thats great. My son in law has good vision as well. He can see bullet holes in paper targets at 25 yards. I'm happy to see the targets and bullseye at 25 yards with my glasses on lol.

When I was working in Nebraska years ago on an oil drilling rig. The land owner had a huge prairie dog town about 250 yards from where we were drilling. I ask if I could shoot some he said all you want. So I started shooting them with a Marlin model 60 open sights. That was pretty hard considering the cross winds out there. I put a cheap Simmons scope on it 4x32 iirc and what a difference. I got pretty good dialing in for the distance but the constantly changing wind speed and gusts was a major challenge. I had enough time to get several prairie dogs a day on my breaks after I cleaned the mud off and ate lol.

rala

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Evansville
    Interesting set of YouTube reviews on 22 rifles. They take them out to 500 yards. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaWfcgtXfE0

Different rifles,scopes same ammo.

It's all about fundamentals. Shooting 22 @ 200 or 6.5 @ 1500.
    1 piece of equipment to check is your scope set up properly. A little cant at those distance is big error. Check it a against a plumb Bob @ 50 or 100 yards

anvil

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2017
    N.E. In.
    I shoot steel plates out to 400 yards with a spotter***military trainers .22 ***iron sights***standard velocity ammo---wind gets to be a problem way out there

Top Bottom