• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • anvil

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2017
    N.E. In.
    I have heard that when a .22 hi speed slows down to the sub sonic level at long range,, there can be a bit of wobble ---that is the reason to use standard velocity to begin with

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have heard that when a .22 hi speed slows down to the sub sonic level at long range,, there can be a bit of wobble ---that is the reason to use standard velocity to begin with

That is the reason to use subsonic. Standard velocity is above the speed of sound (out of a rifle) so you will still get the wobble.

flylo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2017
    decatur
    Std vel is NOT above the speed of sound. I shoot many brands CCI, Aguila, TAC22, Geco all std vel & all below the sound barrier! CCI is 1080 fps as is Aguila but it says 1120 on the box but has never chonoed even 1100.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    While we are talking long range 22lr shooting. I could have sworn there was going to be a new 22lr ammo out that was iirc a solid copper bullet. I remember reading about it at shot show not sure what year. Does anyone remember anything about that? I also recall it was going to be expensive. Is it out yet?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Std vel is NOT above the speed of sound. I shoot many brands CCI, Aguila, TAC22, Geco all std vel & all below the sound barrier! CCI is 1080 fps as is Aguila but it says 1120 on the box but has never chonoed even 1100.

You are correct. I never looked up the actual speed, but some standard velocity is below the speed of sound. Speed of sound depends on lost of factor's, but here in Indiana at 600 feet elevation, its typically around 1090 FPS. This is the reason the industry came up with names to define speed. Sub sonic (IE below sonic) standard velocity (IE average velocity) High velocity (meaning as fast as possible). I didnt know some companies were now blurring those lines. They could have been doing it all along, had I known they were I might have looked at some standard velocity ammo's more often. Thanks for the heads up. My go to LR rimfire ammo is wolf match which runs 1050-1060

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    While we are talking long range 22lr shooting. I could have sworn there was going to be a new 22lr ammo out that was iirc a solid copper bullet. I remember reading about it at shot show not sure what year. Does anyone remember anything about that? I also recall it was going to be expensive. Is it out yet?

It is out but I don't remember who produced it. There is a few threads about it on Rimfire Central.com What I do remember was the groups were more like whet you get from a shotgun. Accuracy was terrible.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis

Cutting Edge Bullets may be who you are thinking of from earlier this year. I haven’t seen them for sale yet.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog...ts-22-lr-elr-ammo-with-solid-spitzer-bullets/

flylo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2017
    decatur
    You are correct. I never looked up the actual speed, but some standard velocity is below the speed of sound. Speed of sound depends on lost of factor's, but here in Indiana at 600 feet elevation, its typically around 1090 FPS. This is the reason the industry came up with names to define speed. Sub sonic (IE below sonic) standard velocity (IE average velocity) High velocity (meaning as fast as possible). I didnt know some companies were now blurring those lines. They could have been doing it all along, had I known they were I might have looked at some standard velocity ammo's more often. Thanks for the heads up. My go to LR rimfire ammo is wolf match which runs 1050-1060

Wolf changed makers ftom made in Germay to England I heard so I don't know if it's now better or worse but it was really good ammo for the money. Let us know & here's a link to a Wolf users comments https://www.sgammo.com/product/wolf...tch-target-40-grain-lead-solid-ammo-made-eley

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I think he is talking about the powder metal ones (copper powder) that a major manufacturer brought out . I am thinking they were to conform to the California lead bullet ban.

Is this what you are talking about. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/953365521

I wouldn’t consider there to be a “solid copper”, it’s a copper polymer mix to comply with the lead free rules. Not really designed for long distance shooting.

The Cutting Edge Bullets shown at Shot Show this year are a machined monolithic copper bullet and designed with the idea of being more ballistically efficient when flying, specifically for long ranger distances.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    The problem is most people wouldn't know the difference between solid copper and powdered copper. A lot of people think a Penny is still made from copper.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    thanks for the link, I’ll check it out tonight.

pardon my ignorance, but what is a plum bob?

basically, a weight hanging on a string.
    DSC01587.JPG

Top Bottom