• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I was no expert shooter by any means while in. I got screwed over a few points for sharpshooter but as a range coach the last few months I was in I was able to teach 9 shooters enough that they became first-time experts. You don't have to be a world class shooter to teach others you just need to apply the fundamentals of shooting and anybody with a one practice can be good with anything.

True enough but in a high stress situation having the muscle memory and motor skills in place to where thought to use them is minimal comes from practice practice training practice practice more training and practice practice practice.

Casually (maybe not the right word because a firing line is not casual) spending time on the line is a good place to learn and practice. Most anyone with some time on the line can bang the gong. I have taken 1st time shooters to a level of sight acquisition and on target rounds in an hour. And doing it safely. But leave it go for a month and the next time I have to go through a lot of it again. They pick it right back up but again......the skills will fade. The more they go the better they get at muscle memory and retaining the basics.

Get the gun that fits you. Use it use it train with it and use it some more. I want to slap folks when they say rounds are to expensive and they are sporting a $1K cell phone.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    What may seem sensible from the pure mechanics of the gun itself can be put on its head when you enter the humanity as a variable.

Short vs long barrel? Sure, I can see how for a hp rifle a shorter, stiffer barrel might possibly be more accurate (or have a wider node of accuracy).

And it makes sense that a longer sight radius would allow tighter control of sight alignment.

My experience, however, suggest that these two factors are pretty much irrelevant to handgun accuracy from a human shooter.

What matters most? Pulling the trigger without disturbing the sights on the gun. Period. Having perfect sight alignment because of a 6" slide is irrelevant if your trigger pull jerks the barrel off target. A shorter stiffer barrel is pointless if the POA is being shifted during trigger pull.

I really started to appreciate this (from a Rob Leatham video) when I realized I shoot long DAO triggers pretty well, but striker guns I spray all over into a paper-plate size pattern at 10y. I also shoot light SAO triggers much better. It's those dang 6# strikers I struggle with.

Any trigger with a substantial "wall" causes me to jerk a bit, and end tend to produce a pretty consistent string from 7:00 to bullseye. I jerk low and left by varying amounts.

Yes, this is a training and inexperience issue.

The point is that if a subcompact allows you to better control the gun during trigger pull and consistently keep in on target as the sear releases, then it totally could be more accurate.

For me, I shoot G17 and G26 both better than G19. The 19 hits my hypothenar eminence just the wrong way for me to feel securely in control of the weapon.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    For me, I shoot G17 and G26 both better than G19. The 19 hits my hypothenar eminence just the wrong way for me to feel securely in control of the weapon.

OK so now I have to go off site and figure out what in the heck a Hypothenar eminence is...........:scratch:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Buy a gun, or preferably gunS. Learn to use your gun or gunS by getting good in person training from industry recognized trainers or trainers who have some type of real world experience that makes their opinion and methods applicable. Shoot the **** out of your Guns (tools) and you will be as good as what you put the effort and ammo and training, into it to be.
    Give me a piece of **** Hipoint and within a few mags I'll be shooting that gun as best as it will possibly shoot within its capabilities, not because it's a good gun but because I know and practice the fundamentals and repeat. Every shooter that wants to carry a gun for self defense should treat it like the life or death responsibility it is.
    YouTube is not training
    Stop with the sense making already! Training, pshaw, paw-paw taught me to shoot, and I was in the service!

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Stop with the sense making already! Training, pshaw, paw-paw taught me to shoot, and I was in the service!

Thanks guys. Just saying what all of you already knew. It's kinda how a lot of gun owners like to buy guns but hate to spend money on mags and ammo. Yeah, training sucks your gun budget but better to know how to properly use one gun if your life is gonna depend on it, than to pass down a closet full of guns to your widow.
    Ha yeah when I hear someone say on a range, oh I was in the Army .... I'm watching them like a hawk because some ****ery is about to go down. .. hold my beer
    Most service members never even touched a pistol and most of the ones that were issued pistols didn't train with them. There are of coarse exceptions to that with pistols and rifles as well, so I'm not **** talking everyone here.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Most service members never even touched a pistol and most of the ones that were issued pistols didn't train with them. There are of coarse exceptions to that with pistols and rifles as well, so I'm not **** talking everyone here.

When I was a tank commander I was issued an M9. I qualified "Expert" and thought I must be a natural given the very limited training...but since the Army said I was an "Expert" I must be.

I wasn't.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Why not?:dunno: seems like a long straight tube would make an excellent range?
    Because...
    748543.png

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    That's why secret agents do so well against you when they come in through the air lock.

I thought it was because they all wear either those stripey shirts, which make them good targets, or turtlenecks, which restrict their freedom to move.

30183_113856961986152_1078413_n.jpg

Knives are better for wet work. More quiet.
    Note to Rhino. No one was hurt during this photo op.

Top Bottom