• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I doubt that the Locke vs Hobbes argument will be solved here... though it would be a giant feather in INGO's hat if it were! My personal take is that some people are basically good, and some are basically bad. Nature or nurture? I don't know but experience has taught me that all people fall somewhere along the spectrum... mostly in the middle. When the stage collapsed not all the people went to help (which doesn't necessarily make them "bad"), but the ones that did moved towards the good end of the spectrum in my book. But to illustrate why Locke vs Hobbes is a difficult question; What if a child molester saved a stranger at great personal risk, from the collapse? From the perspective of the child, he's still a monster; from the perspective of the person/family of the saved he's a hero. Who's correct?

blackenedman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    It may or may not be known, I am a proud Journeyman member of IATSE Local 30. These stagehands are my friends and union brothers and sisters. I have worked alongside them for many shows, for many years, including numerous fairgrounds shows.

I would like to thank those who helped at the scene, and those who continue to offer thoughts and prayers, we all need them at a time like this.

It is my understanding our local has not had a work fatality in over 100 years. Based on the number of shows, the size of said shows, and the unreasonable timelines dictated to us, I feel we have a record of safety to be proud of.

Those that sit and second guess, and play "what-if", generally have no concept of the logistics and work done by those of us "in the biz". :rolleyes:

We will deeply miss Brother Nate Byrd, however we must keep in our thoughts the other members, as well as fans, still hospitalized with serious injuries.

For those so inclined, there has been a fund established (Brother Byrd leaves behind 2 teenage children), and the Train/Maroon 5 show will go on at Conseco Fieldhouse Thursday as a benefit show. Pacers Sports, ESG, IMPD, IATSE #30, everyone involved in the production will be donating their time/gear. ALL proceeds, including concessions, will go to the CICF for the victims and their families.

Lets all take a step back, and find the important message here. No one is guaranteed one more day on earth, and there are no absolute guarantees from nature. Live each day as it comes, love and cherish those important to you, and ignore the ignorant.

Thanks for listening...

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    On the good vs evil debate.

Does any child have to be taught to lie, cheat and steal or do they figure it out on their own?

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Funeral services:

>> Glenn Goodrich: Services will be at 11 a.m. Saturday at Flanner and Buchanan Funeral Center Washington Park North, 2706 Kessler Blvd. West Drive.
    Calling will be from 4 to 8 p.m. Friday and from 10 a.m. until the services at the funeral home.

>> Nathan Lee Byrd: Services will be at 1 p.m. Thursday at Calvary Tabernacle, 902 Fletcher Ave., Indianapolis.
    Visitation will be from 4 to 8 p.m. Wednesday at Shirley Brothers Thompson Road Chapel, 3333 E. Thompson Road.

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    This was a horrible tragedy and I am very sorry for those who lost loved ones and those that were injured. I was however very happy to see the video of people rushing toward the stage to help people in need. There are still alot of good people out there who are more than willing to put themselves at risk to help others. Thanks to all the citizens who helped along with our police and rescue workers.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I've been reading comments on this story on Indystar.com and yahoo news, and I am getting absolutely FURIOUS.

While there has been some good discussion of how it happened, and a lot of people are expressing their shock, there are quite a few apparently staunch Democrats who have decided to politicize this situation.

The most absurd thing they are saying, and it sounds like they are all reading from a DNC press release, is something about Perry from Texas advocates less government regulation, and this is somehow the result of that. In their demented minds, they rather loudly blame Republicans for this. I guess they don't realize that O'Bama is still president.

But the thing that REALLY pisses me off is they are all saying, and I quote: "this is what you get for using low paid non-union scab labor."

These bottom-feeders are not only willing to use the deaths of people to make a political point, but they are so absolutely misinformed about the facts that they might as well be blaming it on sunspots.

Just when you thought something was so universally distressing that it was beyond politics, the brain-dead, scum-sucking, knuckle-dragging slopeheads of the world prove you wrong.

If you see a Democrat today, flip them the finger for me, OK?

blackenedman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    We must know a lot of the same people. Chubby has been trying to talk me into signing up, but my work schedule just doesn't give me any realistic time to devote to it.

We most likely do, and they are some of the finest people I know. Chubby's a great guy, and has worked shows at the fair (and virtually every other venue in town) for many years.

You can always get on the referral list. As a new guy, you wont get many calls, but when the big shows are in, we use a lot of people, and there would be some opportunities...

blackenedman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    awesome info. As well, cicf.org is handling the fund for all the victims and families, and is where the money from the maroon 5 show will go. donations can be made from a banner right on their page.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Meteorologist, author says Indiana State Fair stage collapse was a needless tragedy - fox59.com

Imagine that.

My crystal ball shows him being called as an expert witness a few times.
    Undoubtedly...you're right. He will be used as a witness when lots of people file lawsuits.

People will blame (read sue) the Fair Board, the MC at the concert, the company and crew that built the stage and probably lots of other people.

In reality they didn't have the common sense to come in out of the rain. I was sitting downtown when those black clouds started rolling in. And there was no way I would have stood out in the open and waited for it to hit.

I'd have headed under the concrete bleachers of the Grandstand. The only way they should be awarded a settlement is if someone was negligent and assembled the stage in a manner that made it unsafe and if that was what lead to it's collapse..

Now granted...I probably wouldn't have thought of the stage collapsing...but the storm itself appeared to be wicked. Storms don't generally alarm me...but that one looked ugly. And I'll be damned if I'd have stood there and waited for it.

I'm sure the backs of the admission tickets as well as the concert tickets state that the purchaser(s) cannot hold numerous groups responsible in the event of injury or death. Any of the INGO legal team care to chime in as to whether or not those disclaimers will hold water? Barring negligence in preparation...of course.

Do we really need others to tell us when to come in out of the rain? :n00b:

Don't get me wrong...this is a tragic event. And I pray for those that were injured and lost loved ones. I just don't understand people sometimes. What were they thinking??????

blackenedman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Undoubtedly...you're right. He will be used as a witness when lots of people file lawsuits.

People will blame (read sue) the Fair Board, the MC at the concert, the company and crew that built the stage and probably lots of other people.

In reality they didn't have the common sense to come in out of the rain. (snip)
    The only way they should be awarded a settlement is if someone was negligent and assembled the stage in a manner that made it unsafe and if that was what lead to it's collapse..

I'm sure the backs of the admission tickets as well as the concert tickets state that the purchaser(s) cannot hold numerous groups responsible in the event of injury or death. Any of the INGO legal team care to chime in as to whether or not those disclaimers will hold water? Barring negligence in preparation...of course.

Do we really need others to tell us when to come in out of the rain? :n00b:

Don't get me wrong...this is a tragic event. And I pray for those that were injured and lost loved ones. I just don't understand people sometimes. What were they thinking??????

I agree with the overall thought here that we are responsible for our own safety. I do wonder what your thoughts are in regards to the crew? It seems as if every measure was taken to protect the talent, and very little taken for the crew and fans.

While it may be argued that they had the "option" of leaving or seeking shelter on their own, my friends sitting above the stage in that truss didn't really have that option available to them. Was it negligent on the part of management to send them up into the truss to begin with, especially considering the weather element? When faced with the loss of your job, do you just suck it up and do your job, as some might say? Hoping all the while that someone will make the decision to get you down in time to spare life or limb?

I too would be interested in hearing from any of our resident legal experts, even though I'm sure most will not want to make too many comments. Its been my understanding over the years, waivers be damned, its pretty hard to sign away your rights.

I appreciate all the open and honest dialog in this thread, I'm just another person trying to deal with the pain and fallout this incident is causing many.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    For what it's worth, Glenn Goodrich was a co-worker at ESG SEcurity and will be sorely missed as will all of the victims of this accident.

article-2025832-0D6EAC8E00000578-87_306x295.jpg

Glenn Goodrich spent his life protecting people | The Indianapolis Star | indystar.com

cowgirl.sdm

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 1, 2011
    Johnson County
    As much as I feel for the families that lost their loved ones and the ones that got injured, I feel it was their rosponsibility to make a wise decision on their own. I had a friend who was in the 14th row on the track and decided to get up and leave before it happened. As for the ones who were working, they knew their job was a dangerous job when they were hired. Again it is very sad and I am praying for those who lost love ones and those who are injured. My heart goes out to you.

Top Bottom