• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    The people working did not have any idea that the truss would be a risk.
    the truss should have stayed up in 90+ MPH winds..
    something was not right with that set up.. bad design, bad assembly, and / or bad parts..
    did a union crew put it up? were they provided the correct parts?
    In one of the high resolution still photos wrtv6 had you can see the down stage right tower come apart at the section breaks, no twisting or deforming of the truss. the pins to hold it together either broke or were not there.

blackenedman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    The truss sections are bolted together with rated steel hardware. Once any side load, or twisting of the truss happened, I think the load probably pulled the bolts right thru the truss.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    I lost an old friend in that collapse. His name is Nate Byd. He was an employee and was on the stage at the very top working the lights.
    I am very sad to hear he is gone. He was a great guy. He will be missed.
    Prayers to his family.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    The people working did not have any idea that the truss would be a risk.
    the truss should have stayed up in 90+ MPH winds..
    something was not right with that set up.. bad design, bad assembly, and / or bad parts..
    did a union crew put it up? were they provided the correct parts?
    In one of the high resolution still photos wrtv6 had you can see the down stage right tower come apart at the section breaks, no twisting or deforming of the truss. the pins to hold it together either broke or were not there.

You didn't read the rest of the thread, did ya? :dunno:

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    The truss sections are bolted together with rated steel hardware. Once any side load, or twisting of the truss happened, I think the load probably pulled the bolts right thru the truss.

since another stage failure within the past 2 years was found to be below spec bolts, grade 2 Vs grade 8, one has to wonder what bolts where used..
    the last time i put up a large truss we used 3/4 inch grade 8 bolts.. the truss would fail before the bolt would.

blackenedman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    since another stage failure within the past 2 years was found to be below spec bolts, grade 2 Vs grade 8, one has to wonder what bolts where used..
    the last time i put up a large truss we used 3/4 inch grade 8 bolts.. the truss would fail before the bolt would.
    Right, which is what I was implying by the bolts being pulled thru the truss. ;) Do you have any info you can point me to, in regards to the show and rig you're referring to? I'm quite interested in learning where the fail points are in these rigs, since it could possibly be my life next time..

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Right, which is what I was implying by the bolts being pulled thru the truss. ;) Do you have any info you can point me to, in regards to the show and rig you're referring to? I'm quite interested in learning where the fail points are in these rigs, since it could possibly be my life next time..

if i remeber correctly the Flaming Lips show had wrong bolts.. my Wife had the reports on several on them.. I will post links to info..

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    Partial List of Prior Failures

NJ

Justin Timberlake/Christina Aguilera Supertruss failure

http://www.jimonlight.com/2008/11/0...-timberlakechristina-aguilera-truss-collapse/

2008/2009

Los Angeles, CA Dodger Stadium / Marseille, France (Two incidents)

Madonna

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...n-into-madonna-stage-collapse-begins-20090717

Camrose, Alberta

Billy Currington / Big Valley Jamboree

Stage collapse at Alberta's Big Valley Jamboree Claims Life

Big Valley Jamboree 2009 stage collapse leads to charges | Canada Views

leads-to-charges/

Chichen Itza, Mexico

Elton John

Entertainment - theage.com.au

mexico-injures-three-20100402-rivb.html

Pontiac, MI

A.R.Rahman (Slumdog Millionaire)

http://theatresafetyblog.blogspot.com/2010/06/concert-rigging-in-michigan-

collapses.html

Ottowa, Canada

Cheap Trick

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/cheap-trick-survives-stage-collapse-in-

canada-20110718

Tulsa, OK

Flaming Lips

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/video-flaming-lips-stage-collapses-in-

oklahoma-20110808

Indianapolis, IN

(Sugarland)

blackenedman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    I was aware of most of those failures, and of the links that I followed that worked, I could not locate any details from investigations that occurred. I saw where some charges were filed in Canada, but there's no detail as to what failed and who put it there.

I understand most of the recent failures will not have many details available, as many of them are still under investigation. The above mentioned failure happened in 2009.

From my understanding of this local investigation, there will be 6 agencies conducting investigations. Will they all have the same finding? Who's will be "the right one"?

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    I was aware of most of those failures, and of the links that I followed that worked, I could not locate any details from investigations that occurred. I saw where some charges were filed in Canada, but there's no detail as to what failed and who put it there.

I understand most of the recent failures will not have many details available, as many of them are still under investigation. The above mentioned failure happened in 2009.

From my understanding of this local investigation, there will be 6 agencies conducting investigations. Will they all have the same finding? Who's will be "the right one"?

who knows.. useless there is a single glaring thing all we can do is try to learn what happened , and how to correct for it in the future.. we I am at home I will try to get more specific info.. that was copied from an email..
    Unfortunatly Your life is at risk when stuff starts going in the air.. and you are at the mercy of the guy who picks the equipment.. one shacle or turnbuckle that has been overloaded before might pick now to give way..

blackenedman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Agreed and understood. Just trying to learn, myself. If you end up with more info, it will be appreciated. thanks for looking and helping me out...

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    :rolleyes:
    Not nessecary,
    evan Ray Charles could see,
    s o m e o n e choked.

In regards to the evacuation, or the structure?

The lead investigator from the Engineering firm hired by the State said something to the affect that even a permanent structure hit with the right kind of unpredictable rotational winds, as being suggested by some weather experts, could/would have been damaged...

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Not buying tickets up front anymore. Had no clue how much stuff like this happens

How much is that? :dunno:

Hundreds of concerts a year per major city in the world, times the number of years concerts have been going on... minus a couple isolated incidents.. hmm

So it probably happens less than the number of times a licensed gun owner commits a gun crime, which is less than 0.25% of all gun crimes..

See what I am driving at here?

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    How much is that? :dunno:

Hundreds of concerts a year per major city in the world, times the number of years concerts have been going on... minus a couple isolated incidents.. hmm

So it probably happens less than the number of times a licensed gun owner commits a gun crime, which is less than 0.25% of all gun crimes..

See what I am driving at here?

Let them stay home... easier for me to get good tickets! I miss festival seating.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Up front?? Bleh. The best seats are about 70-150 feet back, in the center or within 20' of the centerline. You're wasting your time and money to sit up front.

You can always tell someone who knows something about live audio..

I always crack up when people talk about how crappy the sound was, then you ask them where they were sitting and they say "up front". :rolleyes:

Top Bottom