• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

There are realistically two options. They know you aren't going to vote (D) over this. They also know that the assorted versions of (I) aren't a threat. There is very little incentive to not bend to the lobbyist. You aren't going anywhere over Sunday liqour sales, constitutional carry, etc. Why alienate the few swing voters and bread butterers?

I'm no different. Taxes and the fiscal health of the state matter more to me than these issues. What am I going to do, vote for the guy who campaigned on debt being good right now because interest rates are soooo low we can afford to deficit spend for pet projects? Lulz, no, not over liquor sales or the other "side issues" of the day.

It's the same kind of issue with the constitutional carry bill. Republicans know people won't vote Democrat. So they feel empowered to do whateverthehell they want. So the only option is to Primary them. That's hard to do in a state packed with establishment Fudds.

Similar to the national scene. The Republican have been willing to spend money just like the Democrats for the last 16-20 years, but hey, they won't try to take our guns so we are stuck with voting for them.

This is maddening. It's too late for the Sunday sales. So, if you want them to move on the gun bills, "You'd" better get to calling and writing. If they don't think it's that big a deal from their voters, it won't be a big deal to them.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    But, hey: the fiscal conservative Republican caucus gave us a gas tax hike!

Yeah. Not only are politicians not consistent, Constituents aren't consistent in what they want either. Often, what they want is whatever the "side" their on says they want.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Well, it's their last chance for me on the gun bills. They either get something substantive passed or I'm going to bail on them. If the democrats offer up a good alternative, fine. Otherwise I'll sit it out.

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    So so what are we to do? Bend over and take it?

Personally, I'll be voting in the primary. Trying to make sure these jack wagons don't get reelected. And if it comes to it and they don't hold their end of the bargain up by letting this, constitutional carry, etc.... die in committee, I will be taking a hard look at voting D. Because right now, they aren't looking much worse.

I find it hard to conceive of any D getting behind Constitutional carry, ever

[h=1]"Why, this is hell, nor am I out of it."[/h]

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    The bill died in a committee of eight. Unless you rep is on the committee, you can't punish him/her in a primary. Am I correct?

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Yup.....now is the time. If the Rs don't do it now, they are just proving they're all talk, but no better than the Ds. In which case, I'm DONE voting for Rs. If they think I'll continue voting for them because "Ds are gunna took are guns" they're sadly mistaken. Time to cleanse and drain the swamp.

Well, it's their last chance for me on the gun bills. They either get something substantive passed or I'm going to bail on them. If the democrats offer up a good alternative, fine. Otherwise I'll sit it out.

Doesn't seem like Rs are getting behind it either. If they don't make it happen this time, I'm done with them, and I won't listen to any further arguments about "better not vote D, they'll take your guns" because Rs aren't doing any better.

I find it hard to conceive of any D getting behind Constitutional carry, ever

"Why, this is hell, nor am I out of it."

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    This is old

Ah, come on man! You're going to Denny up the Thread, just when all the red-state closet Democrat sympathizers are getting their gumption up and pulling off the cloak?

But seriously, one thing I have done is absolutely quit buying from liquor stores. I now buy all my stuff from other places, or not at all. I no longer go to my local liquor store to pick up that special six-pack of beer they carry that nobody else does. I used to like to support little guys and their quirks, but this has simply become one quirk too many for me. They obviously have too much money for lobbying. So let's take it away from them. Tell your friends to never buy from them, ever.

Remember their entire deal is that they supposedly don't want to work on Sunday. That's fine; I respect anybody's choice to have a day of rest. But they are in Retail, and that's a different world. If they want to limit our choices by law, let's let them feel it in their pocketbook. When they feel it there on the other six days of the week, and no longer have money left over for lobbying, they may start to feel different.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I didn't quite follow the video but it sounded like the bill would have taken liquor sales out of pharmacies and box stores as well? Is that right?

if true I'm glad it died. Pass a clean bill removing the ban on Sunday sales

anyone know the answer to the above?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So so what are we to do? Bend over and take it?

Personally, I'll be voting in the primary. Trying to make sure these jack wagons don't get reelected. And if it comes to it and they don't hold their end of the bargain up by letting this, constitutional carry, etc.... die in committee, I will be taking a hard look at voting D. Because right now, they aren't looking much worse.
    Between losing you in the primary and losing the lobbyists who fund their campaigns, that's an easy call. If a primary is actually competitive.

You have to realize no politician is going to align with your views 100%. You go with the issues that matter most to you. Sunday liquor sales are priorty #1250 for me, maybe lower. I'm not going to throw the baby out with the bathwater over it. However, if all candidates have serious flaws and you feel you can't ethically vote for them, don't. Several of us were viewed as basically the anti-Christ when we said we couldn't ethically vote for Trump and would vote down ticket only. That's an option. Vote for the races where you can back a candidate.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    if true I'm glad it died. Pass a clean bill removing the ban on Sunday sales

anyone know the answer to the above?

Which would beg the question as to why that language was included. Republican majority/super majority could get a "clean" bill if they wanted it.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    This is crony capitalism at it's finest!

Not allowing carryout sales on Sundays is one of the STUPIDEST and CORRUPT laws.
    i can only imagine how many people are getting their palms "greased" over this.

It causes loss of revenue to the state and ENCOURAGES people to drink and drive.

I grew up within 20 miles of the Illinois border.
    Everybody I knew just whipped over to the state line where there were package stores and bars JUST over the state line.

They're happy to get Indiana's business and tax revenue.

The downside is, it increases the amount of drinking and driving, and many don't want to wait til they get back home to start drinking.
    So many people go over there, and drive home loaded on Sundays.

I would bet this happens all around the outside edge of the state.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Same things happened when when I lived in Madison WI. City didn't allow sales after 9pm. So people couldn't walk to the liquor store when they ran out.....they had to drive to the next town over.....and you bet your ass that's exactly what they did.

This is crony capitalism at it's finest!

Not allowing carryout sales on Sundays is one of the STUPIDEST and CORRUPT laws.
    i can only imagine how many people are getting their palms "greased" over this.

It causes loss of revenue to the state and ENCOURAGES people to drink and drive.

I grew up within 20 miles of the Illinois border.
    Everybody I knew just whipped over to the state line where there were package stores and bars JUST over the state line.

They're happy to get Indiana's business and tax revenue.

The downside is, it increases the amount of drinking and driving, and many don't want to wait til they get back home to start drinking.
    So many people go over there, and drive home loaded on Sundays.

I would bet this happens all around the outside edge of the state.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Maybe they should make grocery stores and quicky marts play by the same rules as a liquor store. Make the grocery store have a 21 to enter area, a limited number of $100,000 permits issued by population, and all cashiers licensed. The liquor store don't want to be open on Sunday's...it increases their employee expenses 15%, why should they change their business model just because Krogers is open already on Sunday and wants to sell booze? That's like buying a house in the country by a pig farm then wanting the farmer to stop raising pigs because they stink. Or buying a house on a lake then complaining of fish smell and goose crap. Them snowflakes knew the rule when they decided to start selling booze....now they want to change them.

Truth be told....they should have never allowed them places to start selling booze the way they do. Alcohol is the number one item to be stolen at Danville Kroger's.......and I imagine a lot of that theft is by underage people.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    why not let kids walk around liquor bottles in a store? That seems like an easier solution to the problem. They walk around them at home and watch mom/dad stumble around drunk anyway

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've never understood the "we would have to be open on Sundays!" argument from the liquor stores. Why? Some banks have Saturday hours and some don't. The ones that don't obviously don't feel compelled to open on Saturdays just because their competitor does. You wanna close on Sunday, close on Sunday. If you wanna close on Tuesdays from noon to 3 p.m, then do that. Has any proposed Sunday liquor sales bill ever included a "liquor stores cannot close on Sundays" clause? :dunno:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Maybe they should make grocery stores and quicky marts play by the same rules as a liquor store. Make the grocery store have a 21 to enter area, a limited number of $100,000 permits issued by population, and all cashiers licensed. The liquor store don't want to be open on Sunday's...it increases their employee expenses 15%, why should they change their business model just because Krogers is open already on Sunday and wants to sell booze? That's like buying a house in the country by a pig farm then wanting the farmer to stop raising pigs because they stink. Or buying a house on a lake then complaining of fish smell and goose crap. Them snowflakes knew the rule when they decided to start selling booze....now they want to change them.

Truth be told....they should have never allowed them places to start selling booze the way they do. Alcohol is the number one item to be stolen at Danville Kroger's.......and I imagine a lot of that theft is by underage people.

A couple of points.

First. I think it's fair that if restrictions are placed on liquor stores, presumably to protect society against the evil devil's swill, then the devi's swill is certainly no less devily when sold in grocery stores. If there are rules for one, the same should apply to others.

Second. it's not up to government to favor one party to make their particular business model work. That's not capitalism. That's crony capitalism.

I can agree with you on the first point, that if we think we have reasons to restrict an industry, the restrictions should apply uniformly to all competitors. Though I would prefer they equalized the regulations by eliminating most of them. However, I completely disagree with the crony capitalism part, that idea the government can and should make laws so that liquor stores business model can work against its competitors.

Top Bottom