• I have owned an LX2 and the clip...

• Total voters

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Just saw on a Surefire ad that the new E2DL Ultra has the same pocket clip as the LX2. They should know better than to put that thing on a new product. Sheesh.

0f94dce6094c8430df5214634f77b5e6.jpg

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    The tailcaps on the LX2s are starting to fail as well. This flashlight is quickly becoming a lemon.

Lodogg2221

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Kokomo
    The tailcaps on the LX2s are starting to fail as well. This flashlight is quickly becoming a lemon.

Where are all these failing tailcaps? Your post is the first Ive ever even heard it mentioned.
    Tailcaps are easy to replace and free from Surefire. Try getting parts for some of the other cheap import lights. They arent free and most times, they are a PITA to get at all.

You know, I know these clips break, I broke one. Once.
    Ive carried my LX2 daily for well over 2 years now and even when brushing up against stuff I dont break them. Im not real sure how all you guys break them over and over and over, but I think if it were me, Id look into either a different light, or maybe doing something different to avoid whatever it is that is causing the problem.

Also, some of you might go over to Candlepowerforums and ask around over there about broken clips and alternatives. Could be someone over there makes one thats better.

Something else to think about, is that Surefire intends for the clip to break rather than to rip the light out of your pocket and lose the light AND the clip. Personally, the one time mine broke, I snagged it on something and didnt realize it broke until a few hours later when I went to use the light.
    Had it not broken, I would have lost the light.

andfc

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Indianapolis

Shay, do you have a new recommendation over the LX2?

I would not consider anything I've seen from Streamlight or anyone else to be on the same level. I like lights by Elzetta and Inforce on paper, but I'd need to know that they've been through the same things that the LX2 has been through in your courses and performed better in some way.

I also have had replacement tailcaps from Surefire on other lights, and it was just as easy as getting my two LX2 clips before I finally went with an E2 clip. I would happily replace my LX2 tailcap with a more robust (preferably high-output only) cap if it were an option.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    On my third clip, I ask for 2 whenever I call to get a new one. I could see a good way to strengthen it if I had the ability to fabricate such a part but alas I do not.

You can clip it light up or light down - I forget which is which [don't have it handy atm] but the one where you put whatever you're clipping it on between the two parts of the clip and NOT the way where it goes between the clip and the body will help keep it from breaking.

The point that it pivots if you clip it between the clip and the body - is the weak point of the clip.

That said, I have another SureFire that has a slightly different clip design that appears to be sturdier - I swapped it on temporarily when I was waiting for my first set of replacement clips.

Is the E2 clip better?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I love everything about the LX2 except the pocket clip. No tailcap issue here thus far.

Someone could make a few bucks by making a more robust aftermarket version that fit the same slots and worked in the same manner.

Lodogg2221

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Kokomo
    Shay, do you have a new recommendation over the LX2?

I would not consider anything I've seen from Streamlight or anyone else to be on the same level. I like lights by Elzetta and Inforce on paper, but I'd need to know that they've been through the same things that the LX2 has been through in your courses and performed better in some way.

I also have had replacement tailcaps from Surefire on other lights, and it was just as easy as getting my two LX2 clips before I finally went with an E2 clip. I would happily replace my LX2 tailcap with a more robust (preferably high-output only) cap if it were an option.

There really isnt a more robust version.
    I suspect if there is a problem, its lack of maintenance. Just like anything, they need cleaned and lubed from time to time. A bit of oxidation can cause issues with connectivity. Its not the lights fault if it happens. But Ive yet to hear of anyone have that issue, and Im a regular over on CPF, where most of them love the LX2.
    As to the tailcap or single mode, it can be done, but you will need a different E series body and tailcap. The E2D defender for instance, with an LX2 head becomes a single mode, high output only, light.
    Kind of an expensive swap though....

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    I had my tailcap come apart while changing the batteries. Didn't fail while the light was in use and I managed to line it up so it worked until surefire sent a new one.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    As with anything, they can and will fail, expensive or not. Cars that cost $100,000 will have mechanical problems eventually just as a $20,000 car will.

Same thing goes with anything that gets regular use. I'm over a year and a half, on my third clip, but once I started storing it light down in my pocket instead of light up (puts less stress on the clip) I haven't had the third clip break.

The clip, imho, is a poor design. The one on my L4 Digital Lumamax is much more robust but only permits you to clip the light in one direction. I did actually swap the clip off of the L4 onto the LX2 when my clip first broke on the LX2. The L4 even has a little plastic 'spacer' that goes behind the clip between the clip and the light body to help reinforce it.

The only downside to the L4 clip is that it's a little larger at it's base and, as such, will cause your flashlight head to not screw in the last 1/16" or so - but it's still sealed from the weather by the o-ring.

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Anyway, I've been running the clipdraw since November 2011 without any failure or loss of tension.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    As anyone who has taken my Flashlight Combatives class can attest, I own quite a few Surefire flashlights. I have purchased 6 LX2s for personal use and for friends. I own a preproduction LX2 prototype that is serial number 10. I'm not exactly new to this light or flashlights in general.

The tailcaps on three of my LX2 lights have failed. Yes, I can order new ones. But that isn't the point. I shouldn't have to. All my other Surefire lights see hard use and have never had tailcap failures.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    That's very strange... How did they fail? Just quit working? Come apart?

My tail cap does make a slight buzzing sound when I have the light on which I thought was odd.

That said, is there a model you've replaced your LX2's with?

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Clip draw?

A universal clip draw (that thing that they market as a dumb alternative to a holster) is actually a really stout clip that fits perfectly in the spot left by your broken factory one. It attaches with some tenacious double sided tape.

The tailcaps on three of my LX2 lights have failed. Yes, I can order new ones. But that isn't the point. I shouldn't have to. All my other Surefire lights see hard use and have never had tailcap failures.

I agree, clip and tailcap breakage are completely unacceptable on a $200 light. Surefire got a real nasty phone call from me last summer about it. Unfortunately i don't have a multi million dollar government contract with them so they, much like a honey badger, didn't give a ****.

Unfortunately, I still haven't found anything better. Every Chinese light I've ever owned (Jetbeam, 47s, etc) has just flat out quit working and had an annoying tendency to self discharge. Also, I hate clicky switches and a billion settings, which happens to be the trend du jour. One of these days I'll find a machinist and start a company called Paleolight, which just makes stupid simple lights for stupid simple cavemen like myself to beat on. Remember back in the day when your flashlight had a nicely machined knurled grip and mashing the tailcap gave you bright light and letting go turned it off? Something like that.

That's very strange... How did they fail? Just quit working? Come apart?

My experience has been that the adhesive holding together the tailcap degrades then when you go to change the batteries the guts fall out.

Really, the only dead reliable tailcap switch i have found is the standard surefire single-stage press for momentary, screw for constant on switch

andfc

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Wow, what timing. I went to change my batteries today, and as I took the tailcap off, the electronics inside shot across the room.

IMG_20130425_175218.jpg

It looks like the adhesive on the circuit board took material off of the plastic spacer where the pins are inserted.

IMG_20130425_175320.jpg

It took me a few minutes to get the fragile-looking plastic pins lined back up and put back together. Upon reassembly, everything seems to be working fine, but I have to say that my confidence in my LX2 is dramatically less than what it was yesterday. I'm considering myself now among those looking for a less fragile alternative.

Top Bottom