• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Festool was the first that I know of to come up with a precision guide for a circular saw. I know that others have followed suit. I would look hard at those systems before buying a table saw if space is at a premium. If your entire shop is taken up with a table saw then how much space do you have to work on your project?

The fence is just as important as the saw. You can have the worlds greatest table saw but with a poor fence you will put out crap work. You can buy a cheap saw and a great fence and do good work but very slowly. Just a rhetorical question, but do you have room for a big rail and fence?

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    So, I'm building up my woodshop so I can make things instead of buy things. It is a hobby fully supported by my wife! :D

But table saws are outrageous! I was looking at Ridgid because the only complaint is the customer service is somewhat wonky. I just wish it wasn't outrageous to buy one! There are no used ones!

Not one to pour salt in an open wound. . . . .

I picked up a nice used Ridgid at a garage sale a few years ago for $75!!:rockwoot: The guy was a contractor that was selling out and moving to another state, he had it marked $200 and he saw my interest and told me to make an offer. I didn't have room for it so lowballed it at $50 and he said he'd take $75!

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    Festool was the first that I know of to come up with a precision guide for a circular saw. I know that others have followed suit. I would look hard at those systems before buying a table saw if space is at a premium. If your entire shop is taken up with a table saw then how much space do you have to work on your project?

The fence is just as important as the saw. You can have the worlds greatest table saw but with a poor fence you will put out crap work. You can buy a cheap saw and a great fence and do good work but very slowly. Just a rhetorical question, but do you have room for a big rail and fence?

Not that much. I have about 4 feet of space to store this stuff if I put it on rollers.

I wasn't sure how well those guides would work. I know that they could be crap or wonderful, just don't know anyone who can give me an up or down review.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Not one to pour salt in an open wound. . . . .

I picked up a nice used Ridgid at a garage sale a few years ago for $75!!:rockwoot: The guy was a contractor that was selling out and moving to another state, he had it marked $200 and he saw my interest and told me to make an offer. I didn't have room for it so lowballed it at $50 and he said he'd take $75!

Pardon me while I hate you. :xmad:

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    I have a one car garage that I park my car in. I'm thinking of building a stand like Hoosier Carry has shown above. I don't have a lot of room, but like others have said, it is important to rip plywood.

I'm tempted to get a Kreg Rip Cut Jig, but that looks like it might not work.

Historian- here are a few thoughts to throw your way:

1. The Kreg circular saw jig is a great piece to have. It works great at ripping 4'x8' sheets. Clamping your sheets down will give you nice straight clean cuts. Great tool!

2. If you havent checked out Ron Paulk's videos on youtube, you should. Lots of great ideas from that guy. Especially the video called "Making A Track Saw" --- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v1hN-YwwY0 --- Also check out his Workbench, I would love to make one someday.

3. A picture I did not post was a router table I made to the same height as the saw station. I place it on the back side of the table saw to allow the product I am working with to feed onto it. The blue T-slot track at the front is wrong. I had to change it so the track runs from one side to the other.

Bgtu6QH.jpg

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

1. The Kreg circular saw jig is a great piece to have. It works great at ripping 4'x8' sheets. Clamping your sheets down will give you nice straight clean cuts. Great tool!

2. If you havent checked out Ron Paulk's videos on youtube, you should. Lots of great ideas from that guy. Especially the video called "Making A Track Saw" --- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v1hN-YwwY0 --- Also check out his Workbench, I would love to make one someday.

3. A picture I did not post was a router table I made to the same height as the saw station. I place it on the back side of the table saw to allow the product I am working with to feed onto it. The blue T-slot track at the front is wrong. I had to change it so the track runs from one side to the other.

Bgtu6QH.jpg

Ive built those saw guides before and much prefer movin the saw than trying to maneuver a 4x8x3/4" hunk f plywood through a table saw.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Unless you plan to get REALLY serious about woodworking ( as in making cabinetry for a living ) take a serious look at what are called Hybrid saws if you have the room.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Not that much. I have about 4 feet of space to store this stuff if I put it on rollers.

The nice thing about setting your table up on casters, is you dont need to build a dust collection system. Just roll your station outside and blow all the sawdust on your neighbors yard. Then roll it back inside to your clean garage.:D

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009

Menards has them for 20 bucks this week, so I might pick one up! Thanks for the review!

That is my other ripping option. Take a sheet of 1/4 ply and make that.

Yeah. A router is in the future.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    As of last Tuesday, I wish those things were on the market when I bought mine. The surgeon thinks he saved the finger but the jury's out as to how it going to affect my trigger pull once the pin comes out and I can throw the splint away.

Hope you are doing OK sir! Holler if you need anything.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Hope you are doing OK sir! Holler if you need anything.

Thanks for the kind thoughts. I'm blessed with a loving wife with a strong nurturing nature and the patience of Job and helpful sons...so I'm in good shape for now. If something comes up, i'll keep your offer in mind.

Top Bottom