• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    We had a guy where I used to work who was sawing a stack of laminate for counter top end caps. The stack was a mile long and he would slide it over against a stop, run it through, and repeat. He did this incredibly fast. Until the day he ran his ring, middle, and index fingers across the blade. Slowed him right down.

He was kinda lucky. It was a super thin blade and his fingers were more vertical than horizontal so they stayed attached. He more or less just cut slots in them.:n00b:

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    Holy crap that sounds unpleasant. The idiot previous owner of my house left his table saw behind and I use it on a regular basis. I am much more accustomed to working with metal so I am super careful when working with it.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Unisaw. End of discussion.;)

Mine is an early 1960s vintage. Bought it at an auction for $300. Dad picked up one from an auction at a local local high for $100, but it was 3 phase. He bought a new single phase, 220 motor for it for around $300.

IMHO, a table saw is the heart of a woodshop. it's worth it long term to spend the extra $$$ and go with a commercial grade tool.:twocents:

Today, the smarter option might be to get a VFD and leave the 3-phase motor in place. They are so cheap now and good that you can easily power a 3-phase 240V motor off single phase 120V AC.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I ended up settling for a small Bosch jobsite table saw for now. Far from ideal, but I can mostly make it work.

For a *real* saw, there are IMO only three options:
    1) Sawtop
    2) Unisaw
    3) Powermatic.

None are cheap.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Today, the smarter option might be to get a VFD and leave the 3-phase motor in place. They are so cheap now and good that you can easily power a 3-phase 240V motor off single phase 120V AC.

That was my suggestion. I know several guys running old 3 phase, step pulley Bridgeports on Lenze VFDs.

But the old man, being old, wasn't having none of it.:rolleyes:

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    I used mine last night. I'm terrified of it. It's basically a table with a circular saw mounted on the bottom. The switch to the table is broken, so if it's plugged in then it's running. It does the job, but man I hate that thing.

Jason

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    If anybody is interested, my dad picked up a Unisaw at an auction today. He is planning to restore it, but he said if somebody offered him $100 for it as is, he'd sell it. Motor is supposed to be good. He is verifying that now...

yIyTNnx.jpg

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    About 15 years ago I got a promo/loss leader Craftsman that's done ok for me except I've overheated the motor a couple of times. The worst I ever did was sawed off the fingerprint on my trigger finger. I can shoot well right handed, but it kept me off the guitar for a while. A small piece of hardwood basically exploded on me, and I got into the blade.

I have a two car garage that I've given up and given over entirely to a mixed wood and metal shop. To rip a whole sheet of plywood I've used a good stiff angle iron and clamps, with a circular saw. I've built cabinetry for the house, and got a good way into the top half of new kitchen cabinets that I should be able to restart next year.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Checking in to see how it is going!

Had a bone graft procedure done a week or so before thanksgiving. The joint didn't fuse on its own so this procedure was recommended by Dr Dellaqua to do it. Going in on Wednesday to do a 4week check. Hopefully everything is knitting together. Fingers crossed and praying regularly. :)

Thanks for asking!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    He's happy with the progress. He said it's time to get that knuckle moving and it ain't wanting to!!!

Use good pushblocks folks!

35jazig.jpg

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Yep....second that on the push stick. My table saw decided to chew up part of my push stick last night. Better that then my finger....

Top Bottom