• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    Another question. Is there a difference in quality of cut between contractor table saws and full stand table saws, or is it a matter of convenience?

I dont think the quality changes so much as the speed is what is the difference. Higher RPMs will cut smoother and faster.

Your quality of cuts will change when using differently designed blades. If your going to cut wood that tends to tear you will need to move to a blade with more teeth. Example- Melamine board for cabinet drawer boxes will chip and tear using a standard 50 tooth blade. But it will cut clean with an 80 tooth blade.

I know Dewalt had two options on their contractors saw. A 3500rpm and a 4800rpm. They look the same so you have to read the specs to choose the higher rpm.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Another question. Is there a difference in quality of cut between contractor table saws and full stand table saws, or is it a matter of convenience?

A lot has changed since I traded up from a contractor saw to a cabinet saw. Some of the things that were a part of the equation was capacity, less vibration, quality of the rip fence, work surface, keeping alignments better, better dust collection, seems like some of them couldn't handle a dado set (not sure about that one), higher horsepower motors, etc.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish

Years ago I had done some work for my uncle on his house and he gave me his older Craftsman table saw. I thought it would last me until I had the money to shell out for a nicer cabinet saw. After 15 years, I still have that saw. I did have to work a bit to get the moving parts lined up right, and I also replaced the pot metal pulleys with good machined ones, and I added some after-market stuff so I can connect it to my dust collector. Now it cuts very nice with very little vibration. A good cabinet saw would still cut better, but I do fine with it. My only real challenge is the rip fence, since it has to be cleaned and re-adjusted pretty often if you want perfect cuts and it takes longer to set it up for each cut.

The main difference between an expensive cabinet saw and a basic contractor table saw (besides the obvious safety feature of the sawstop) is convenience, speed, and repeatability. I should also say that most cabinet saws have more power than most contractor saws.

I can produce the same cuts on my saw as anyone with a cabinet saw can. I just couldn't produce as many pieces as fast I could with a cabinet saw. If you plan to make furniture or other wood projects to sell, then get a cabinet saw. But, if you're just a hobbyist woodworker like me (and you're not made of money) then I recommend a good contractor table saw. The only thing I wouldn't bother with is a table saw that doesn't have a cast iron table, for any price.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    GFGT, how goes recovery?

Additionally, found my a table saw. Contractor style, so it folds up. Got it in pretty good shape at half price:

RIDGID 15 Amp 10 in. Heavy-Duty Portable Table Saw with Stand-R4513 - The Home Depot

Next question, are the GRR-Rippers any good, or just good at marketing?

Got the pin out Monday. What a relief. Doctor is satisfied I'll keep what's left. There's a distinctive bend there now. :) getting the fingers and especially that knuckle broken loose again is proving to be a feat I'd underestimated.

10ql73r.jpg

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    My elbow was insanely stiff after I broke it. Couldn't bend far past 90 degrees. Then I shot a 44 magnum 5-shot. I can almost fully touch my shoulder now!

I think my boxing days are over. I think it's going to be difficult to make a proper fist with that last joint messed up.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    On another note, I once had a Rigid contractor saw. It was a good piece of equipment. My brother is still using it.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    GFGT, just realized it's been a couple of weeks. How's the finger?

Your timing is impecable :)

Had an appointment yesterday and Im done with the splints now. Most of the scabbing has healed. I saw the x-ray yesterday and that little bone in your finger tip is obliterated. They told me to start trying to get it moving again---YIKES is it stiff. I've got almost 0 grip strength in my right hand now. But they gave me some things to start building my strength back. I completely underestimated how this would affect the rest of my hand. Next appointment is first week in November and I suspect he's going to recommend surgery to fuse that end joint and hopefully straighten out some.

Top Bottom