• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I've posted here a little while now. I've posted on a few other "survivalist" messege boards. I find the concepts kind of interesting. Interesting the way camping, hunting, and "the old ways" are interesting to me.

I only take it semi-seriously myself but I guess that evaluation is relevant to each persons situation in life. My wife thinks I'm paranoid. I think a lot of people I read are paranoid.

Let's just say for one thread I take this all serious. Next week Obama is going to nuke Iran and SHTF. May be Washington get's nuked or some crazy stuff happens. We're not burnt to a crisp but the whole thing just kind of unwinds over the course of a week. If I ain't get'n paid, I sure as heck am not going in to GM. If the power plant guys think thier pay check is dead...

Well see there, now all of a sudden you boy scouts really are now all on your own with your little bug out bag, and bug out vehicles and your little concrete bug out bunker with yer crank up radio full of static.

So what?

Now this is only if you take this crap serious because if you do then you want a honest opinion. Honest feed back. Blunt as a ball peen hammer on a dumbass'es thumb.

I think a lot of this SHTF boards, threads, scearios are all a bunch of kid's "running away from home" fantasy grown up in to full blown bullcrap. So if your feelings get hurt easy, if yer only playing and would rather keep the fantasy alive than figure out some thing true and useful, this ain't the thread for you.

Feel free to stomp right on my own play house too if you see the need or just get PO'd but any mad about it stays right here. Ya knew coming in I'm a skeptical old bastid who say's meansht.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Have you ever read books or factual accounts of people leaving in wagon trains headed west?

That was SHTF, the early years.

Those poor dumbass green pilgrims left where ever they left from, St Louis, Cincinnati ealier, and they thought they were going to take every thing in the S&R wish book with them and 90% of it was useless junk. They dropped 25% on the trail 50 miles down the trail and over half of it before they got where they were going or gave up and said, "I like it better here any way. This is far enough."

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Your thread is not completely clear. Are you saying SHTF take it seriously(as in quite a few do not,or they have no idea what they would really need)? Or are you saying there is no such thing as shtf? If it is the latter then I would disagree. Most of the things I have for SHTF I have already used during the oh so wonderful flood. I was not a victim of this act of nature,but my mother,brother(princess lakes)and grandparents(nineveh) used my generators,water,and a hell of a lot of hard work to recover.Are there quite a few super paranoid people who have no idea what they need,yes.But I would rather have someone who tries to be independent with a paranoid mindset than what I would call sheep(who think the world will always hand them what they need)as friends,neighbors,and even acquaintances. Am I misunderstanding your thread?
    If your intent is to figure out what you really need that part is easy.
    1.water you can drink(stored,purified by any number of means)
    2.shelter
    3.food
    4.a meathod of defending youself,your family,and what you have.
    Everything else is unnessesary,but quite a few things would be really good for moral and a sence of normalcy(especially for children).

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    I read use common sense, look before you leap, be prepared to dig in and protect what you have. But then in todays society, "common sense is not a high priority item."

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I am just about as prepped as someone can be living in suburban US.

It is going to take more than US hitting Iran to trigger shtf.

Unless you are rural, farmer and totally self sufficient now, you are not prepped for this scenario.

If you are talking about a scenario like in "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy then I am prepared to take what I need from 90% that are not prepared.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I've posted here a little while now. I've posted on a few other "survivalist" messege boards. I find the concepts kind of interesting. Interesting the way camping, hunting, and "the old ways" are interesting to me.

Me too. Lot of history reading in SHTF prep. What could be better.

I only take it semi-seriously myself but I guess that evaluation is relevant to each persons situation in life. My wife thinks I'm paranoid. I think a lot of people I read are paranoid.

"I can't be paranoid honey, look at this guy's post!" Yeah, I've tried that one too...

Let's just say for one thread I take this all serious. Next week Obama is going to nuke Iran and SHTF. May be Washington get's nuked or some crazy stuff happens. We're not burnt to a crisp but the whole thing just kind of unwinds over the course of a week. If I ain't get'n paid, I sure as heck am not going in to GM. If the power plant guys think thier pay check is dead...

Well see there, now all of a sudden you boy scouts really are now all on your own with your little bug out bag, and bug out vehicles and your little concrete bug out bunker with yer crank up radio full of static.

So what?

You stay home and do your best. The BOB is for an emergency departure. Like when rioters burn Indy. The BOB is also for when you are stuck in a snow bank for a couple of days before the LEO's find your car (too bad that one family did not have more supplies and dad did not get out of the car to find help and walk to his death).

Now this is only if you take this crap serious because if you do then you want a honest opinion. Honest feed back. Blunt as a ball peen hammer on a dumbass'es thumb.

Oh, I have done that. Smashed off a toenail once too. Pain hurts.

I think a lot of this SHTF boards, threads, scearios are all a bunch of kid's "running away from home" fantasy grown up in to full blown bullcrap. So if your feelings get hurt easy, if yer only playing and would rather keep the fantasy alive than figure out some thing true and useful, this ain't the thread for you.

Ok, I can stay then. What now?

Feel free to stomp right on my own play house too if you see the need or just get PO'd but any mad about it stays right here. Ya knew coming in I'm a skeptical old bastid who say's meansht.

Skeptical is fine. Are you asking what we have done to test our gear? Camping is pretty good for that. I really want to have an INGO camping trip this year where you are only allowed to use your BOB gear and nothing more. See how well we all do for 48 hours. Could do it in the winter, but let's start small and go realistic.

Look, if what you are saying is that owing 3000 rounds of ammo is just as good as 50000 in a SHTF situation, then there is some truth given what happens. If what you are saying is that we spend alot of time talking SHTF, but how many actually test to be sure if any of our gear works, well... I have a guess as to the answer there. How many will die because they could not decide between their AR's and their AK's and got stuck at the end of the evacuation because they just could not stomach leaving their ammo for behind?

And best of all, how many are so out of shape they could not carry their rediculously heavy BOB more than 30 yards without having a heart attack, well I will take a guilty pass on that one - but I am working on it.

So if your thread is about real prep, then bring it on! Tell us what you are doing and help bring us down that path to solid preparedness.

Mr.Hoppes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    New Goshen IN
    Personally I think the "Potential" for something extreme happening is there.

That said, I have a family to care for, and I prepared for the worst.

In prepping for the worst I give my children and their children ( 20 yrs from now) a chance.

If nothing happens then my children are raised to respect their world, live at their means, not to waste, and to appreciate what God gives us. I consider those values to be important.

I take my commitment to my wife and children seriously. I think that is also a factor. I have survived many life threatening situations over the years and was dead once for a few minutes. I want my family to have the opportunity to survive "Should" something happen.

I am careful not to jump on to causes or theories. Many folk that prepped for the millennium, felt like fools and immediately sold off their supplies or used them up. Now that the political and economic arenas have heated up there are those jumping on board, trying to buy up guns and stock up on all sorts of stuff. Four yrs from now they'll probably be selling off their stuff wondering what they were thinking. I don't know if this will be catalyst that causes a survival scenario, but I don't want my family to suffer, if I miss the signs and am caught without.

I am not convinced this would be a world wide as much as a intermittent systemic failure of services in the USA. Many other countries have had political economic failures and are on the rise again. It may just be our turn. I don't know. < that is why I prepare.

I also live in an area prone to tornado and flooding problems. A natural disaster may be enough to turn this area (30 mile radius) into a civil survival situation. There has been a precedence for this already with Katrina.

Some call me the paranoid one, but in the end IF nothing goes wrong, I waste nothing in the preps we use, in the supplies we buy. All are used and replaced and over again. We are not flash in the pan Rambo's but true to our word survivors. I could go on and on, because I believe in what we do, and the ramifications on my family either way. There are many other aspects I haven't even touched on too. We live not with our heads buried in the ground but stand tall with our eyes wide open keeping watch as we journey through this life.

Flaregun

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    If you are talking about a scenario like in "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy then I am prepared to take what I need from 90% that are not prepared.

And that is the part that bugs me the most.

In many (most) ways I do not think we are as good as our grandparents.
    SHTF is a relative thing, some will find minor hardship and commence with the robbing and pillaging. What most people now a days would call hardship my grandfather would have called a normal day.

How many have enough firewood for two seasons? How many have EVER split enough wood for two seasons?

I get the feeling that even a long term power outage would get some guys here excited enough to think dark thoughts.

I think that many "Suburban" Americans would look for the excuse to take what they want instead of trying to help anyone else, and that could be the end of the American experiment.

We are not as strong or as good as our forefathers.

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    Anybody ever read the Civil Defense paper on the "Evacuation of Marion County to the "host counties"? Very scary at it's least! Imagine Chicago being turned loose on NW Indiana!

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    :+1:Mr. Hoppes. Well said, as your statement reflects my feelings to a T. Dedication to family is foremost and nothing done in preparation for what may come is ever wasted.

All the talk of bugout bags and the like is mostly laughable due to the fact, most have no real idea of what a bob actually is or what it's purpose should be. Those who speak of fleeing urban areas and just taking what they need have no clue. Just where in hell do you think you're going to go? Those of us who live in outlying areas where you seem to think you're going to go may surprise you with a willingness and ability to defend what is ours better than what you think.

During our recent power outage of 7 days caused by the remnants of hurricane Ike, I discovered just how unprepared most people actually are, even out where I live. The reality of that situation was, after 2 weeks many would have been hungry and dirty. Within 30 days mortality rates would be on a rapid increase and that is just from a minor inconvenience and not a SHTF situation.

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    All the talk of bugout bags and the like is mostly laughable due to the fact, most have no real idea of what a bob actually is or what it's purpose should be.
    I definately have to agree here. To me, a BOB is nothing more than the essentials to get you to an area of relative safety. Extra frags, mags, a meal, and water. The number one thing is to have a plan, and be able to initiate it when you get there. If the SHTF, I forsee smaller, rural areas banding into tighter knit communities, such as where I live. Bartering items and skills will become the name of the game in order to survive and maintain some sembelance of society.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I'm not worried about anything. When the next President of the 57 United States "takes power" and "begins to rule" next week, every thing will be OK.

Surround yourself with friends.

That is all I am going to say.

Bull

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Jennings County
    I guess I started to prepare for the worst about 3 years ago. I had a nice home on 3 acres and sold it and bought 20 acres a little farther out in the sticks. Been putting out a garden, doing a little canning and keeping an eye on my deer and turkey population.
    [FONT=&quot] Both of my kids live within ½ mile and we have enough fire power to hold our own[/FONT]

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I think a REASONABLE SHTF scenario I'm literally prepared to deal with is one that has happened at least in my lifetime.

No electricty for two weeks. OK, bring it on. I'm ready and in fact I've survived it just fine. Absolutely no loss of any kind other than convienience. Never even missed a day of work.

Nuclear holocaust? No, I'm not concerned at all. Not saying it's impossible. Not saying it will never happen. I am saying getting truely prepared for it is beyond my means financially number one, physiscally number two, I think the likelyhood of it is ridiculously low to where I don't want to waste my life preparing to die.

Roving gangs of killers and thieves who would steal your blind and leave you to starve? I've lived in the most rural hilljack country of Lawrence/Orange/Martin county for 5 years now. Meth labs, dope heads, dead beats, mix right in with every one else. Bloods and crips with colored doily's on thier heads don't phaze me a bit.

Do I pack my SKS to stone city mall incase Bin Ladin takes hostages and demands Walmart pay ransom?:dunno: Yeah, ROTFLMAO!

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    "Bug out bags" full of survival gear supposedly for a couple three days that I think I could survive a frigging month on easy just to keep in the car at work in case SHTF when you are at work?

Granted, you can't help but relate someone else's posted preparations to your own situation so I'll give you that much but come on. I make the same darn trip everysingle day. Twenty miles total one way to Bedford Indiana. You aren't going to find much more desolate 20 miles any where else in Indiana. There's gasoline stations in Bedford. That's it.

Say I'm totally unprepared and SHTF right now. Air burst an EMD strike over Indianapolis and absolutely everything with copper in it is now ash on something like a 5 year olds modeling project. So what? 20 miles is not going to starve me to death or kill me. I'd take a hammer out of my tool box and rob all the candy and pop machines with in minutes. All the cash and food goes straight in to a trash bag along with the rest of the roll of a hundred industrial size trash bags. The roofing axe from my tool box goes in my belt, the axe out of the fire alam box goes on my kit. A sled at least until I happen across a wagon. I'll jump the fence at the crib and get every pair of insulated coveralls in what ever sizes I need and all I can carry, fill a trash bag with helmet liners for hats.

Grab my booty and start walking home in time to get their before day light. In summer time I could probably walk 20 miles naked and starving in 4-5 hours. WTF do I need a bug out bag in the trunk all the time for? I've got my BOB on my hip, it's called a Leatherman and in this scenario I'm already clothed for the rest of the 4 months of winter, I have food enough for a week with out cooking a thing and I have a safe destination I can walk to with out seeing a soul if I didn't want to.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I just don't think many people today have a real concept of what is really important and what it really does take and what comes in handy a couple months after the electricity disappears. It's not what you are going to WANT ten miles past the end of the road. It's what are you not really really going to be able to do with out 3 months past the end of the road. Not how much you miss seeing people, it's how are you going to survive with any help at all if no other person ever finds you again.

A hundred and fifty years ago thousands of people not only faced those questions, they embraced them. Not special people or trained people, just ordinary every day people, most who never even graduated high school did it and "survived". They thrived.

They didn't do it memorizing the Army's Booby Trap survival behind enemy lines field guide.

The two most common pieces of literature in people's wagons heading in the frontier to carve out something of their own was the Bible and second most commonly found book of any kind was a piece of reference material. One of the three editions of Dr Alvin Chase Receipt Book.

Dotor Alvin Chase, Third and most complete Receipt Book
    Dr. Chase's third, last and complete receipt book and household physician; or, Practical knowledge for the people by A. W. Chase (Used, New, Out-of-Print) - Alibris

Highly recomended reading for any one who really really thinks they just might have to suck it up and tuff things out on their own some day.

It's got some good stuff in it but that's not why I recomend it. I recomend it before you do too awful much stock piling, studying, or training. This book will tell you a lot more than just how to cook a turkey or cure TB if you will let it. It's jam packed full of bullschitt cures, crocks, and snake oil that will have you cracking up with laughter but what it will tell you with out any doubt at all what people who have nothing and still have to go on living value. It will tell you what they want to know how to do when they have their own to hands and that's it. No doctor. No plumber, no electric company, no army and no police, no board of health, clean water or safe food.

Learn that and then you'll know what ya need to know.

gage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    underground
    oh oh am i busted for wanting to live in a bunker?

So what?

I'm reading it as, "BE Reasonable People"
    oh oh
    Am I busted for wanting to live in a bunker?

For me, knowing how to survive beyond the confines of modern society is one of the most basic and important individual responsibilities to preserving our culture, rather it be for 1 day or for years. I get the idea many INGOers do too and am grateful to finally meet others who appreciate how to survive without central HVAC and grocery stores.

In some respects the SHTF has already occurred (for me). The loss of family homesteads and small communities being replaced by super-stores filled with foreign plastic crap and schools with overburden, underpaid teachers. I’m trying to find a way to survive in a world that has become riddled with too many nanny laws and liability BS and loss of individual right to GOD, guns and common sense. Where are they all going? :crying:

I'm not joking when I say I hope to learn how to live in a concrete bunker and grow and kill my own food. I think my particular plights in life (details not added but PM if your interested) make this a little less weird, less unreasonable. Nonetheless, it’s an honest interest…bunker living that is.

“Being a skeptical old bastid who say’s meansht” is a typical charm of those who have a lot of knowledge about “the old ways” and I have a lot of respect for “the old ways”. I look forward to being a, skeptical old jaded spinster who says meanersht some day. And no I’m not a le$bo.

I admire the lot of you who know about the practicalities of surviving off the land and dealing with life threatening emergencies. It warms my heart to see so many men and women strong in faith, principles and common sense. INHO, INGO is a unique and a valuable resource for those that visit and are reassured there is still some with practical knowledge and common sense left in this insane world.
    People, like me, in the far away worlds of Indiana, appreciate you, and you help them survive in more ways then one.
    Jus say’n...

Yummie dose of common sense. Thanks can I have another?

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    And that is the part that bugs me the most.

In many (most) ways I do not think we are as good as our grandparents.
    SHTF is a relative thing, some will find minor hardship and commence with the robbing and pillaging. What most people now a days would call hardship my grandfather would have called a normal day.

How many have enough firewood for two seasons? How many have EVER split enough wood for two seasons?

I get the feeling that even a long term power outage would get some guys here excited enough to think dark thoughts.

I think that many "Suburban" Americans would look for the excuse to take what they want instead of trying to help anyone else, and that could be the end of the American experiment.

We are not as strong or as good as our forefathers.

In a scenario like "The Road", total decimation, rampant cannibalism, our grand parents would have done what ever it took to keep their family alive.

Top Bottom