• ...and so much more!
  • Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    So after talking to a couple buddies who encouraged me to sell afew things and buy a quality full auto m16 or converted AR I'm considering it. I'm not completely up to date with the many different civilian availible "pre 86" options out there. Also I'm not 100% convinced of its a sound investment or not. And exactly how much of an investment will it be? $15-$20k? I don't know.
    so let me hear the good and the bad INGO and I'll keep you informed of what I do. Thank you.

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    So after talking to a couple buddies who encouraged me to sell afew things and buy a quality full auto m16 or converted AR I'm considering it. I'm not completely up to date with the many different civilian availible "pre 86" options out there. Also I'm not 100% convinced of its a sound investment or not. And exactly how much of an investment will it be? $15-$20k? I don't know.
    so let me hear the good and the bad INGO and I'll keep you informed of what I do. Thank you.

A buddy of mine just bought a factory Colt M16a1 and it set him back roughly $25k

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I don't see the reason for the $$$ for a small variation in the lower.
    I'm not buying in to it. Maybe Ma Deuce for those bucks.
    It's also a lot of sprayed lead and brass just to satisfy your Roxoff.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    apparently I don't realize how much o spend on guns. They asked me why I don't just buy a full auto. Lol. I knew which way you would lean lol
    What are friends for? :cool:

I'm in the same boat, to pull it off I'd have to sell most of my guns. I have considered it several times, but I just can't talk myself into doing it. I think I would be sad if I had a big empty safe with one rifle in it.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    What are friends for? :cool:

I'm in the same boat, to pull it off I'd have to sell most of my guns. I have considered it several times, but I just can't talk myself into doing it. I think I would be sad if I had a big empty safe with one rifle in it.
    im pretty happy with my collection now. I mean I will continue to add new things to it as they come out, but I do t really even shoot that much as it is. I know that's gonna change soon though.
    i have enough ammo to feed it but the thing is, why? Even in the military you rarely use full auto fire. Yeah they are cool but I guess for me to be convinced of buying one it will have to be for the investment it offers. I don't want to blow 20k for "fun". I have kids who one day will hopefully be able to buy houses with my toys. That's what I'm looking at.
    with possible challenges to the NFA law
    in the courts right now, I don't want to blow that much money just to have my investment turn into something worth half of what o paid.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    im pretty happy with my collection now. I mean I will continue to add new things to it as they come out, but I do t really even shoot that much as it is. I know that's gonna change soon though.
    i have enough ammo to feed it but the thing is, why? Even in the military you rarely use full auto fire. Yeah they are cool but I guess for me to be convinced of buying one it will have to be for the investment it offers. I don't want to blow 20k for "fun". I have kids who one day will hopefully be able to buy houses with my toys. That's what I'm looking at.
    with possible challenges to the NFA law
    in the courts right now, I don't want to blow that much money just to have my investment turn into something worth half of what o paid.
    We have talked about this several times, and I get it. We both want it, but it is a big chunk of money on a possible gamble. If by some unbelievable stroke of luck the NFA was repealed, the gun is now worth $1500. The chances of that happening are almost non existent though. You can't let that be what stops you.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The only way I would ever consider buying an M16 would be as an investment and I fear the time for that has passed. Unless you can find a great deal (a friend just bought one for $12K) on one it doesn't make sense in my opinion. I fear the firearms market is as robust as it is likely to get and while I don't expect an M16 is going to depreciate, the days of triple digit returns on NFA investments is over (again, unless you can find something for well below current market value).

I have no use for full auto, I've fired it plenty and the novelty wears off quickly especially if its my money being consumed.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    The only way I would ever consider buying an M16 would be as an investment and I fear the time for that has passed. Unless you can find a great deal (a friend just bought one for $12K) on one it doesn't make sense in my opinion. I fear the firearms market is as robust as it is likely to get and while I don't expect an M16 is going to depreciate, the days of triple digit returns on NFA investments is over (again, unless you can find something for well below current market value).

I have no use for full auto, I've fired it plenty and the novelty wears off quickly especially if its my money being consumed.
    This is what I need to hear. Thanks

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I am in kind of a unique position that will allow me to find a good deal most likely. But I don't know if it would be $12k good lol. That's great! If I found one for that there is no question it would be mine.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If I had the money laying around and someone was selling a valuable M16 for $12K I'd buy it in a minute, that's a good investment. If you've got the coin to buy just be patient and wait for a good deal to come along. Full auto firearms are going to hold their value so its a safe place to put your money. The only way to lose would be if NFA was repealed and while I think it is possible we may see SBR, SBS and suppressors removed from the NFA, I don't ever see full auto being removed. Too many people with lots of money and influence would lose big time for it to happen.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Well, to counter all the naysayers, I bought an M16 last year (followed by an HK auto sear). I've been selling off a lot of my higher dollar semi-auto stuff simply because I dont' tend to shoot them much anymore. The SCAR and the Arsenal AK-74 stayed in the safe, and then Sendra M16 and a myriad of uppers would come to the range every time.

I guess it really depends on how you like to shoot. If you are happy sitting at a bench, firing a round every 5 minutes to let the barrel cool in between shots to squeeze every tiny bit of accuracy out of your guns, then full auto isn't for you. I can say that both my M16 and my HK sear have gone up in value by several thousand just since I bought them (and I haven't even gotten the sear out of NFA jail yet).

Of course, an alternative could be to look at one of the simulated full auto offerings, like a slide fire or a Franklin Armory BFS trigger system. A lot cheaper to get into.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have buzzed through hundreds of rounds in a friends full auto collection.
    It is akin to a jet ski.....way cool when you 1st get it.....then it wears off.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Well, to counter all the naysayers, I bought an M16 last year (followed by an HK auto sear).

That's great, it sounds like you enjoy shooting full auto and there is nothing wrong with that at all. Considering all of the different hobbies we have the pleasure of enjoying in this country, a $24K full auto firearm is a drop in the bucket compared to a serious drag car, sand buggy, car hauler, etc.. It all boils down to what you enjoy, sounds like you bought into a hobby you enjoy at a good price!

Top Bottom