• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    The transferable AR auto Sears, AND HK auto Sears, have appreciated more in value than ANY actual full auto weapons in the M16 or HK family. This is due largely to their versatility. If you own a registered auto sear, then you can own any number of "host" weapons in which to install them. Your weapons are standard semi-auto rifles/pistols until you install the sear. You don't/won't have to worry about wear and tear on a valuable registered receiver weapon. The Sears are virtually indestructible, and do not wear out.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    If we're considering shelling out $25k on one, maybe spend a few hundred to rent one a good number of hours and see if it's something you'd like to do a lot.

I know when I fired one I got bored of it fast. Now, when I fired a registered M1919 I knew that was something I'd like to own some day. Belt feds just get me more than other things.

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    If you find a bargain go for it. You can always sell it. What do you have to lose.

Chuck

Last edited:

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Not to thread jack but are there auto's in the m16 variety available in both3 round burst and full auto or were they all one or the other? Did any variation exist that could do both?

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Not to thread jack but are there auto's in the m16 variety available in both3 round burst and full auto or were they all one or the other? Did any variation exist that could do both?

2,3,4, or 6 round burst capability us simply a matter of changing parts IF you have a registered RECEIVER weapon.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    If we're considering shelling out $25k on one, maybe spend a few hundred to rent one a good number of hours and see if it's something you'd like to do a lot.

I know when I fired one I got bored of it fast. Now, when I fired a registered M1919 I knew that was something I'd like to own some day. Belt feds just get me more than other things.

That's funny. I found my 1919 so boring that I was happy to sell it, but I love sub guns and M16's.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    This post goes against my better judgement.

I cannot justify it. I want to, I have tried to justify it, I can afford it, and I truly want a full auto. And I know they will go up in price. I just cant bring myself to pay that much for a m16 rifle. While I would enjoy the giggle switch, I would only want to spend 10K max for one and I don't see those prices ever existing. If I wanted to get into full auto, I probably would go more into the cheaper side of things like a mac or something similar. It would give me the thrill of full auto at a cheaper price.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I think that a way more fun "investment" would be either an HK Autosear or an MP5.

And after I win the Powerball one of these days, I will have one.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    There are better ways to invest $25k.

As far as I'm concerned full auto is just a way to waste a lot of money very quickly. 5.56 at $.33/rd @ 800 rds/min is a very rapid way to convert money into noise.

Sure is fun, though.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    For those who think the value can never go down, that's financially dangerous advice. I will pose 2 scenarios that will DESTROY the price of full auto M-16s:

1) NFA laws are loosened to allow the transfer of post '86 firearms. With the supply no longer artificially limited, the value of transferable pre '86 machine guns will tumble such that they will command no more than a small premium over similar semi-autos.

2) The opposite scenario, machine guns are outlawed for civilian posession altogether, or all machineguns are made non-transferable. The market value drops to near "0" for obvious reasons.

Either of those is possible...very possible.

A third scenario which will not destroy value, but will mak it a bad "investment". A transferable full-auto anything is a luxury good. Like hemi Cudas or McMansions, they will reach a peak and then drop off. It always happens. Are we at peak now? Couldn't say, but I doubt we'll continue to see the rise in market value over the next 20 years that we have seen over the last 20.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    This post goes against my better judgement.

I cannot justify it. I want to, I have tried to justify it, I can afford it, and I truly want a full auto. And I know they will go up in price. I just cant bring myself to pay that much for a m16 rifle. While I would enjoy the giggle switch, I would only want to spend 10K max for one and I don't see those prices ever existing. If I wanted to get into full auto, I probably would go more into the cheaper side of things like a mac or something similar. It would give me the thrill of full auto at a cheaper price.

If you want a 5.56, you may want to look around for an FNC or AC556. I've seen both for less than $10k, though it's getting scarcer. You also might be able to find a Lightning Link for that, though those days might also have gone by as well.

Otherwise, I'd suggest a MAC of some sort. In their stock configs, they aren't the greatest subguns ever designed, but thanks to Lage, Practical Solutions, and a few other manufactures (past and present), they are quite adaptable and modernizable.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    For those who think the value can never go down, that's financially dangerous advice. I will pose 2 scenarios that will DESTROY the price of full auto M-16s:

1) NFA laws are loosened to allow the transfer of post '86 firearms. With the supply no longer artificially limited, the value of transferable pre '86 machine guns will tumble such that they will command no more than a small premium over similar semi-autos.

I'd take the $25,000 bet that this never happens all day and twice on Sunday. There are very wealthy individuals in this country who have millions invested in full auto and they would never allow those investments to be destroyed in the name of everyone else's rights. Never. Gonna. Happen.

I could see your second scenario as definitely possible but it would require a pretty significant cultural shift. We've been moving in the opposite direction for many years now.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I'd take the $25,000 bet that this never happens all day and twice on Sunday. There are very wealthy individuals in this country who have millions invested in full auto and they would never allow those investments to be destroyed in the name of everyone else's rights. Never. Gonna. Happen.

I could see your second scenario as definitely possible but it would require a pretty significant cultural shift. We've been moving in the opposite direction for many years now.

I've heard this a lot, but I don't think those people are A) numerous enough to matter and B) actually wealthy enough to matter. In the age of Warren Buffett, Bill Gates, Mark Zuckerberg, Jeff Bezos, Elan Musk, etc, some old guys that are sitting on a few million in automatic weapons are not going to be a heavy tipping point.

Now if the firearms industry was colluding with gun banners in some sort of baptists and bootlegger coalition to keep the machine gun registry closed, I would agree with you. But the firearms industry has no incentive at all to do so and in fact, I'm sure would love to be able to directly market their .mil wares to the general public without the requirement of neutering them.

The thing that is blocking real change is that the vast majority of Americans, including probably most gun owners, already think machine guns are illegal. Now, while the shooting sports industry has fully shifted to have more and more focus on the tacticool and less on the Fuddery, that has been a relatively recent change. The registry was closed in the mid-80's with only a few hundred thousand (if that) of transferable guns. Thinking back to the same time frame, how many semi-auto ARs were there in the US? What about AK variants? Not near as many as now and with only a handful of manufacturers or importers.

So, while there would be huge interest in automatic weapons among the more modern crowd (especially if the difference between an AR-15 and an M-4 was a $200 tax stamp and that's it... as evidenced by the explosion in SBR and suppressor purchases over the past few years), most of the people who would be interested in them don't even know what they could have had. You can't really agitate for a return to a golden age that you don't remember and don't know about.

We'll see when some of these large collectors start kicking the bucket. As they die and their collections start getting sold off piecemeal, you might see more young money enter the game. If that happens enough, you might start seeing a greater push for gun rights groups to fight the Hughes Amendment. I might be wrong, but given the age of a lot of the guys with the large collection of really pricey toys at the shoots I've been to, we'll know one way or another soon enough.

Top Bottom