• Tariffs: A good idea?

• Total voters

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Bollocks!!! Anything good that comes from Europe is probably being made better in America or was an American idea.

Luxo cars were perfected in America before we got tired of them.

I'll pit our local beer and sausage against anything from namby pamby land.

Hell, we put men on the moon on more than one occasion, until we just got bored with it.

Europe can suck it.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Mercedes, BMW, Auslese, bratwurst...any wurst...many, many beers...a few things...

Bollocks!!! Anything good that comes from Europe is probably being made better in America or was an American idea.

Hell, we put men on the moon on more than one occasion, until we just got bored with it.

Europe can suck it.

Nope, I just can't find an American equivalent to my BMW M3. 4L V8 @ 420hp of F1 goodness.

22lyhhj.jpg

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Small cars with excellent handling and adequate horsepower were manifestly not an American idea (and still aren't)

And if you're a disciple of Colin Chapman, you know why the car needs to be small (it ain't to save gas). AFAIK the lap record at Waterford Hills (1.5 miles, 10 turns depending on how you count 'em, longest straightaway ~1800 ft) is still held by a Cosworth RS even though GM engineers often bring they're personal one-offs out to play

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Small cars with excellent handling and adequate horsepower were manifestly not an American idea (and still aren't)

And if you're a disciple of Colin Chapman, you know why the car needs to be small (it ain't to save gas). AFAIK the lap record at Waterford Hills (1.5 miles, 10 turns depending on how you count 'em, longest straightaway ~1800 ft) is still held by a Cosworth RS even though GM engineers often bring they're personal one-offs out to play
    So true. There is no US equivalent of my VW Golf R. Ford made the RS for a couple of years, then decided to not make cars.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    So true. There is no US equivalent of my VW Golf R. Ford made the RS for a couple of years, then decided to not make cars.

That still pisses me off. It's almost like they made cars to dominate that segment just to prove they could.

I can still get an RS, it just has to be right hand drive and I need a boat to pick it up.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield

They may have come up with the idea of a small car, but Americans perfected it.

66201069-770-0@2X.jpg

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Nope, I just can't find an American equivalent to my BMW M3. 4L V8 @ 420hp of F1 goodness.

22lyhhj.jpg

You could have someone make you a car with real styling, for that kind of scratch, that would still go like stink.

I am incredibly upset the domestic manufacturers are going to focus primarily on trucks and suvs, the scourge of the automotive world. They're just tarted up minivans.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    That still pisses me off. It's almost like they made cars to dominate that segment just to prove they could.

I can still get an RS, it just has to be right hand drive and I need a boat to pick it up.
    The RS was too expensive. When I bought my first Golf R, it cost me 10K less than the Ford dealer wanted for their RS. Plus the Golf is a nicer car.

There are a number of fast hatches that never make it here. Currently there are only two, VW Golf R and Honda Civic Type R.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    The RS was too expensive. When I bought my first Golf R, it cost me 10K less than the Ford dealer wanted for their RS. Plus the Golf is a nicer car.

There are a number of fast hatches that never make it here. Currently there are only two, VW Golf R and Honda Civic Type R.

The Golf R doesn't come with a proper transmission though. That is the deal killer for me.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Just like the Nissan NX2000 was pretty much made to dethrone the CRX-Si in Showroom Stock C

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    For me, enjoying the car is more important than how fast it goes, but obviously, going fast is enjoyable.

I want to row my own gears and feel like the car is actively trying to kill me if I abuse it. I also want it to be obnoxiously loud when I do abuse it.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The Golf R doesn't come with a proper transmission though. That is the deal killer for me.
    I assume you mean a manual. Before this year they did.

I like the DCC, most of the time. I use mine as a daily driver into and out of Chicago. I am past the time when I want to use a manual transmission in stop and go traffic. Plus the DCC is faster.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Europe can suck it.

As a certified beer judge, I can unequivocally say, "you're wrong."

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I assume you mean a manual. Before this year they did.

I like the DCC, most of the time. I use mine as a daily driver into and out of Chicago. I am past the time when I want to use a manual transmission in stop and go traffic. Plus the DCC is faster.

But I wish they would bring a servo-activated dry clutch system to the masses. The wet clutch is the weak link vis a vis spirited driving, but I love the computer controlled rev matching and rejection of ... shall we say, unintended ... gear selections

Top Bottom