• Tariffs: A good idea?

• Total voters

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    But I wish they would bring a servo-activated dry clutch system to the masses. The wet clutch is the weak link vis a vis spirited driving, but I love the computer controlled rev matching and rejection of ... shall we say, unintended ... gear selections

I don't mind a wet clutch, as they work just peachy keen in motorcycles. It especially eliminates issues with shaft seal leakage that the focus DCT apparently suffers from. To me it almost feels like a sticky throw-out bearing though.

Regardless, having the computer manipulate the clutch and gear selection is great for getting the most out of lap times, but it suuuuuuuuucks for normal driving, IMO. I would rather be in charge of the clutch.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    15-17 Chevy SS Sedan
    A V8 Malibu with all the personality of a Malibu.
    14-19 Cadillac CTS Vsport (TT V6)
    15-19 Charger Scat Pack
    Good cars but the interiors feel cheap. The Charger more so than the Caddy
    I truly like how the S65 V8 of the M3 doesn't even redline until 8,500. In typical German fashion, the 420hp comes with 300 ft-lbs of torque. Different than American muscle, they are meant to rev high and produce power quite linearly. To hear this engine wind up is awesome. These engines were built in BMW's F1 engine plant and come from their racing background. Driving this truly feels like the car is actually part of you. I love all cars, I'm a car guy, but I have yet to find an American car that was built for driving.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Does anything good come out of Europe?

Cheese. Wine. Um...

Hot Lavian chicks!

How-Hot-are-The-Girls-in-Riga-Latvia.jpg

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Six months after the tariffs on Chinese steel, are their steel products more expensive?
    I bought a washer/dryer in May and thought I was lucky when the tariff wars heated up. I was checking warranty info today (don't ask me how I like my over engineered, "save the planet" through reduced water usage appliance) and notice that the washer is now selling for $51 (the dryer - $21) less than I paid.
    What happened to the predictions of steel products going up by 20%?
    Anyone have any personal experience with price increases due to tariffs?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Six months after the tariffs on Chinese steel, are their steel products more expensive?
    I bought a washer/dryer in May and thought I was lucky when the tariff wars heated up. I was checking warranty info today (don't ask me how I like my over engineered, "save the planet" through reduced water usage appliance) and notice that the washer is now selling for $51 (the dryer - $21) less than I paid.
    Buy a Speed Queen. You can disable the “moonbat” nonsense and wash your clothes like you used to. It doesn’t have to look like a space ship to wash clothes well.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The company I work for took a hit. We use it to make ceiling tile grid. I'm not sure that the cost was sent on to consumers, instead it hit the bottom line.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    We're doing some things to mitigate the effects of the tariff on the consumer, at the potential risk of long-term financial health. We keep kicking the can down the road, and the can keeps getting bigger.

Something had to be done about China, but I'm still not convinced this was the right thing at the right time. Probably won't know for sure for another 20 years.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I seem to recall hearing that the Phase 1 deal with China was "inconsequential" and that would become apparent as the details come out... well...

View attachment 83789

Bloomberg: China to Cut Tariffs 50% on U.S. Goods Spelled Out in Deal
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...e-tariffs-on-75-billion-u-s-goods-from-feb-14

China has placed, since the start of the trade war about $100B in tariffs on US goods. $37.5B less means what? I don't see how we can call that a win, when we are still paying WAY more in tariffs that we did when this whole thing first started.... but ok, baby steps, maybe it's a trend that might pay off eventually.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    China has placed, since the start of the trade war about $100B in tariffs on US goods. $37.5B less means what? I don't see how we can call that a win, when we are still paying WAY more in tariffs that we did when this whole thing first started.... but ok, baby steps, maybe it's a trend that might pay off eventually.

I guess by eventually, you mean next week

https://www.wsj.com/articles/china-to-cut-tariffs-on-75-billion-of-u-s-goods-11580967540
    China to Cut Tariffs on $75 Billion of U.S. Goods
    Levies on some American products to fall to 5% from 10%, beginning Feb. 14

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Not exactly a pro-Trump source, so you should approve

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/us-trade-deficit-falls-525-billion-september-66762000

US trade deficit falls to $52.5 billion in September

The September deficit reflected the fact that exports fell 0.9% to $206 billion but imports fell an even faster 1.7% to $258.4 billion. For the first nine months of this year, the U.S. deficit is running 5.4% below the same period a year ago. The deficit for all of 2018 totaled $627.7 billion.

Who's winning a trade war is just a bit more complicated than whether your iPhone costs a bit more this Christmas

Top Bottom