• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I did the gas chamber twice. Once in basic and a refamiliarization at Fort Carson. The second time around wasn't near as bad because we weren't held in there like basic. Plus we got small doses of it out in the field. As long as you weren't down wind of it, it was bearable. It sure is good for cleaning out the sinuses.:D

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    I don't think you could convince me to get zapped. I wonder if you are exposed to OC frequently will you build a tolerence for it. You hear of people falling down when shot with minor injuries because that is their perception. While conditioned soliders stand and continue to fight while they die from fatal wounds. Is part of it the individual persons experience, tolerance and will to continue? What causes people to work through the tears, burning and pain? Could it be from repeated exposure? Would a persons neurological system eventually be able to work around a tazing as well? Similar to the way cattle will eventually lean into an electrical fence if the power is not increased over time. Have there been any studies beyond casual observations regarding this? It could be worth looking into. Also... The same way eating a lime with a habanero kills the burn, couldn't a wipe or wash be used/developed for accidental exposure in order to help the goodguys get back into the fight effectively/sooner?

BtownBlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    Bloomington
    Is part of it the individual persons experience, tolerance and will to continue? What causes people to work through the tears, burning and pain? Could it be from repeated exposure? Would a persons neurological system eventually be able to work around a tazing as well?

My understanding of tasers, at least the new ones, is that they work by electro muscular disruption, they actually interfere with the bodies ability to send and process the electrical impulses that control motor functions. Older tasers were based on pain compliance, and tended to be less effective on severely intoxicated persons, or persons on certain drugs. The theory is that a person will lose the ability to coordinate their muscles to produce complex movements. If this is correct, I don't think tolerance to multiple shocks would be a significant issue. However, it has been several years since I learned about them, so I could be way off, as well.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I wonder if you are exposed to OC frequently will you build a tolerence for it...couldn't a wipe or wash be used/developed for accidental exposure in order to help the goodguys get back into the fight effectively/sooner?

Yes, if you expose yourself to certain OC sprays over a period of time it lessens the effects. I've noticed that First Defense doesn't have nearly the effect on me it used to. Although in my opinion...it's always been crap. I'm not sure anyone could ever get used to the fires of hell (Fox). :flamethrower:

There are several commercial OC neutarlizers on the market (Bio Shield, Body Guard, Sabre Decon, Sudecon Wipes, etc.) not to mention home remedies (milk, baby shampoo, etc.).

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    its strange that you hear about criminals getting tazed and ripping out the prongs... probably due to drugs and stuff though...

Probe failure is the only possible way or I suppose super thick clothing for current disruption........street drugs have nothing to do with the interfering of pre and post neuro-muscular synapse stimulation.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Tazer is all right I have a fence charger that hits harder than it. Do not take that to mean I like to be electrified. It is just I have been shocked with worse.

OC is not really that bad, or I have had it used on me one to many times...

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    The officer covering less than lethal options officers have at their disposal "offered" a free ride to someone willing to take the tazer, but no one bit. I nearly did out of sheer morbid curiosity, but I refrained, thankfully. I kind of wish I had, just for the experience/ feather in my cap!

SgtChromeDome

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I "took the ride" about three weeks ago as part of my certification, and I'll agree that it was to longest five seconds of my life (to date). The probed impacted my back, with the upper landing on my spine between the shoulder blades, and the lower nailing me just to the inside of my right kidney. My first instinct after they hit, was to get to the floor; for some reason I thought I'd be safer down there. The Taser X26 that we carry interferes with the T-wave that provides neuromuscular control, except it does it at 50KV. The charge completely locked up all of my major muscle groups, and I was unable to bend at the waist, knees, or anywhere else until the current stopped. As a result, all I could do was stand straight up & absorb the pain, which is difficult to describe. When the two spotters lowered me to the ground, I looked like I was strapped to a board, because even then, I was competely rigid. The current stopped after I was on the floor, and I swear, I've never been so relieved in my life. When my classmates removed the barbed probes from my back, I didn't feel it, didn't know, and didn't really care! Like the training staff at Taser International says, the first jolt is curiousity; anything after that is stupidity.

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    Well I am a Taser instructor for Fishers PD. I have taken the ride a few times and drive stunned more times than I can count. It sucks either way, but the drive stun hurts a hell of a lot worse than the probes. I am certified to teach not only officers, but civillians as well. Taser has a civillan model for sale and for those of you that have taken the ride, you know it works. If anyone is intrested, I can check into the logistics of putting on a class in the Fishers area. If you are intrested, send me a PM and I'll look into setting something up. I can't promise I will get clearance to do this, but I can promise I will try.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Yes, if you expose yourself to certain OC sprays over a period of time it lessens the effects. I've noticed that First Defense doesn't have nearly the effect on me it used to. Although in my opinion...it's always been crap. I'm not sure anyone could ever get used to the fires of hell (Fox). :flamethrower:

There are several commercial OC neutarlizers on the market (Bio Shield, Body Guard, Sabre Decon, Sudecon Wipes, etc.) not to mention home remedies (milk, baby shampoo, etc.).

Trust me shampoo does **** to help with oc exposure. There is nothing you can really do, but let it run it's course. When we got sprayed they had baby shampoo, and buckets of water to dunk our heads in. The water did nothing to help at all. I sat with my eyes closed, smoking one after another. For probably a good 1-1.5 hours. Before I could even begin to start to open my eyes. Had to stand by for another 1-1.5 hours before I could leave the station. Went home to get all the remaining, that had dried up. Bent over so it would not wash onto my junk. Then there it came, the damn re-flash which was not as bad as the initial. Yet still not fun either. Needles to say I made about 30,000 copies of my cert. letter. No way in hell I was going to go through that again.

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    Thanks for the resopnses. I've been at work all day (mowing lawns) so I can't keep up with the conversations.

They explained how the tazer works, and SgtChromeDome has the best explanation. Your muscles just lock up and won't let you move and the pain is enough to make anyone not hopped up on PCP comply.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Hey maybe the weaker OC was just older stock or actually was weaker. I mean really these days Quality Control is hit or miss. especially with anything remotely military. Seems like half the companies are patriots who want our warriors to have the best. The others are just trying to get rich on the gravy train. I thought the pepper paintballs were a great idea. They sure make "Dog" and his crew look spiffy.Thanks for the input gang. Have a great week.

DocGlock86

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Plainfield
    I did the gas chamber twice. Once in basic and a refamiliarization at Fort Carson. The second time around wasn't near as bad because we weren't held in there like basic. Plus we got small doses of it out in the field. As long as you weren't down wind of it, it was bearable. It sure is good for cleaning out the sinuses.:D

I remember my dad telling me about the gas chamber. He said that when you came out you had all sorts of drainage. :):

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I have a friend that was OC'd during training to be a corrections officer and was told milk will help neutralize it and clean it out. He tried it and it worked real well.

I've wondered what it would be like to be tazed. Maybe if I get the chance to do it someday without going to jail I'll do it, lol

Top Bottom