• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Did anyone actually read the article or are you just flying off the proverbial don't step on my rights handle?

This is aimed at obscenity btw... your free speech doesn't include cussing at my kids from your bumper.

I am all about freedom and rights but if you can't use the F word on TV and Radio it shouldn't be on the back of your car either.

Flame away...

I'm about to pull Texas v. Johnson out again.
    The Supreme Court ruled that "if there is a bedrock principle underlying the First Amendment, it is that government may not prohibit the expression of an idea simply because society finds the idea offensive or disagreeable." if anyone in TN tried writing me a ticket, I would give them that and they can take it all the way to the bank.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Did anyone actually read the article or are you just flying off the proverbial don't step on my rights handle?

This is aimed at obscenity btw... your free speech doesn't include cussing at my kids from your bumper.

I am all about freedom and rights but if you can't use the F word on TV and Radio it shouldn't be on the back of your car either.

Flame away...
    How do you use what is or isn't allowed on tv as your criteria for what is allowed in public. If I want to tell someone to **** off, that is my right, even if it offends them. I agree that we should not be talking like this in front of certain people but to each their own

jon159753

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Avon, IN
    I really hope that TN makes a list of bumper stickers that have been deemed offensive. That way I know not to go there with one on my car and i will get a good laugh reading them.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    So who decides what's "offensive"?

What if Joe Volvo sees the sticker on the back of the trailer park monster truck that says MPG HAHA! Is he going to get "Offended" because the monster truck driver isn't "green" enough for him and then call it in? I guess I'm in trouble if they read my vanity plate. WNTR SUX.
    So who decides what's "offensive"?
    Possibly the lefty Joe Public out on bumper sticker patrol.:rolleyes: How about NRA stickers. I bet anyone with a pro-gun quote sticker gets a ticket. The war on bumper stickers. PSH!:rolleyes:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Are their any Oathkeepers here who would refuse to enforce this law? Or will we wait for the Supreme Court to overturn (or reaffirm) this obvious infringement of citizens' rights?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Just remember that the Tennessee House and Senate are dominated by republicans. This travesty rests firmly on their doorstep.

Not entirely true. Just because one party holds a majority doesn't mean every bill is laid at their feet. Entirely possible for a minority of Rs to vote "aye" with just all of the Dems and get the bill passed? If all but a handful of Rs voted against it, would you still hold them responsible?

Note: that's not to say that in this particular case, they aren't responsible. Just that it isn't necessarily always the case.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Not entirely true. Just because one party holds a majority doesn't mean every bill is laid at their feet. Entirely possible for a minority of Rs to vote "aye" with just all of the Dems and get the bill passed? If all but a handful of Rs voted against it, would you still hold them responsible?

Note: that's not to say that in this particular case, they aren't responsible. Just that it isn't necessarily always the case.
    There are 20 reps and 13 dems in the senate. There are 65 reps in the house and 34 dems. Looks a bit lopsided from where I sit. And the governor, who had the power to veto, is a ....you guessed it....republican.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    This seems all about the money
    Law from the 80s
    Tennessee code 55-8-187 had allowed judges to decide on a fine from $2 to $50 based on their opinion.
    New Law
    Tennessee drivers caught with obscene or patently offensive bumper stickers, window signs or other markings on their vehicle visible to other drivers face an automatic $50 fine.
    It also seems to remove judgment from the judge, limiting him or her to a verdict only

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    There are 20 reps and 13 dems in the senate. There are 65 reps in the house and 34 dems. Looks a bit lopsided from where I sit.

A simple math lesson:

Assuming all Dems vote "aye" and only the minimum number of Republicans vote "aye", what percentage of Republicans voted for the bill.

Senate--9/20=45%
    House--16/65=24%

Total 25/85= ~30%

Now, I made the disclaimer that it may not necessarily apply to this particular case. And I am fairly certain that not ALL of the Dems voted for it, resulting in an increase in the total percentage of Repubs that did. But unless most/all of the Dems voted against it, it's hardly accurate to call this a Republican bill.

I'm trying to find the vote results and/or at least the co-sponsor list to get a feel for the big picture.

The disturbing thing about your constant haranguing of Republicans is that you purposefully disregard the fact that Republican is just a party affiliation and not necessarily indicative of the actual political philosophy of the individual. But you would have us all believe that Republican is supposed to be synonymous with conservative because that's the only way you can justify your position that nobody but you and your political brethren are worthy of holding office.

It's one thing to show that a majority of Republicans actually supported and voted to pass this bill. It's another to introduce facts not in evidence to support a disingenuous application of criticism.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    And I've never seen a bumper sticker with nudity...nor an adult film playing on the vehicle's built-in DVD system.

Would these pass or fail the I know it when I see it test?

http://www.google.com/search?q=nake...a=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=2&ved=0CBQQ_AUoAQ

If I remember correctly, there was a flap during BE(Indy event) about adult films being played in vehicles.

Just today, I saw a bumper sticker that made me think of this thread. It was a "F" cancer bumpersticker where the "U" in the word was replaced with one the standard cause shaped ribbons. The guy walking out of the store in front of me got in the Jeep to which the sticker was affixed. Based on his incredible physique, I certainly wasn't offended. :D

Top Bottom