• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    There are 20 reps and 13 dems in the senate. There are 65 reps in the house and 34 dems. Looks a bit lopsided from where I sit. And the governor, who had the power to veto, is a ....you guessed it....republican.

And Glen Beck is a libertarian. What's your point?

Little Dick Lugar is a Republican but not even close to me in most of his positions any more. I assume that most of these TN Repubs are "compassionate conservatives" which is a euphemism for "I would still be a Democrat if one could get elected in my state these days" Republican.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    "Real" conservatives are happy to ban any object, behavior, or lifestyle that they perceive as a threat to "destroy families" or upset "traditional values". For a few examples, just look to the Drug War, Gay Marriage bans, and attempts to prevent a M***** from building a worship center on his private property in Manhattan.

Social Conservatism is highly statist. That doesn't make them "RINOs" either. Its just the truth about their core philosophy of using government to socially engineer society.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    "Real" conservatives are happy to ban any object, behavior, or lifestyle that they perceive as a threat to "destroy families" or upset "traditional values". For a few examples, just look to the Drug War, Gay Marriage bans, and attempts to prevent a M***** from building a worship center on his private property in Manhattan.

Social Conservatism is highly statist. That doesn't make them "RINOs" either. Its just the truth about their core philosophy of using government to socially engineer society.

QFT! The "right" have long since been the leaders in thought policing. If you use the broad brush: "Whatever isn't christian, is offensive or a product of the godless left" you wouldn't end up too far off among many of the registered republicans.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I just sent a note to Tenn. Gov. Haslam

Help and Frequently Asked Questions - TN.gov

I have decided not to visit the Gatlinburg area again this year for my family vacation. Although your state affords many attractions and natural beauty, I am afraid that while driving through your state my Support our troops or Jesus Loves You bumper sticker may offend an anti-war or atheist person.
    I would hate to face prosecution for offensive speech in your state.

BillyT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Indy
    And? Don't other people have the right to not be offended by your speech? I think so and I'm sure everyone here will agree.

I'm sure there are even rules on this forum that are intended to act as thought police. Big deal, enjoy your Marxism while you can.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    And? Don't other people have the right to not be offended by your speech? I think so and I'm sure everyone here will agree.

I'm sure there are even rules on this forum that are intended to act as thought police. Big deal, enjoy your Marxism while you can.

not+sure+if+serious.jpg

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I think it's ridiculous that the government had to step in and ban offensive bumper stickers. What happened to free speech? What happened to citizens of this country being polite and respectful too? It's sad that this ban was put into effect, and it's sad that people would be so rude and classless as to drive around with offensive material plastered all over their vehicles. The fail belongs to the government AND society. I really can't see how this law will be applied though. If one officer thinks it's offensive and another doesn't, then what do they do? What if the ticket is issued and one judge thinks it's offensive and another doesn't? The enforcement of laws shouldn't be subject to which judge's courtroom you happen to be in that day.

Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009

This is a private forum. The owner sets and enforces the rules. There is censorship on this board and anyone who wishes to be a part of INGO agrees to that.

The public square has no such rules. Society does set a general definition of what is decent and indecent, and what is right and wrong. But, those lines move depending on where, when, and who the people are. There will always be those that live outside of those lines when it comes to speech. They will most likely be ostracized, but their right to speak is vital so that I may also have my right to speak.

No one has a right to not be offended. No one would be able to live under that idea. Anything can be offensive to someone.

This law offends me, and since I have a right to not be offended we should not have a law that makes it illegal to offend someone.

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    I've said this before. The "system" has been warped to such an extent that "we the people" are screwed.

In theory and now we are seeing more and more in practice, a legislative body, or even a court (as evidenced in the IN Supreme Court's ruling of their "modern interpretation" of the 4th Amendment), can pass ANY law and enforce it.

The public has no choice but to either obey or risk imprisonment. Because it costs so much money to fight a unconstitutional law you either have to be rich already or find an organization that will fight it for you.

The burden has been placed upon the people.

The plain truth is that the government, state or federal, could pass a law tomorrow re-enacting slavery and there is not a darn thing we could do about it. Obviously that won't happen because it would create such a nationwide uproar, but for things like gun rights, freedom of speech, 4th amendment rights... happens all the time.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    your free speech doesn't include cussing at my kids from your bumper.

Well, we know which side of liberty this guy is on...

Bonus: When & how did you teach your children the spelling & meaning of so-called "cuss" words? Perhaps you should be fined for permitting them to initially learn such things.

hOmPB.jpg

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    As long as Tennessee is banning offensiveness, it would be cool if they could ban hate and ignorance, too. That would be the most awesomest awesome thing evah!

(PuRpLe?)

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana

I'm offended by this as well as other speech which seems aimed at the destruction of our great country through the invalidation of it's founding documents and principles.

In my opinion people with this attitude of restricting the inalienable rights of others because they may feel "offended" by something said or displayed on a person's self or property are anti-american (based on our founding documents - the Declaration of Independence as well as the Bill of Rights in our Constitution) are committing treason.

Well, not actually committing treason maybe, just telling other people that they support treason as well as letting us know that they are "treasonists" :-)

Any way point being is that it sure sounds like treason to me and I am offended!

As a person sworn to uphold and defend said document against all enemies, foreign and domestic (as well as a good american), if it was up to me people who speak treason against this country (notice I did not say "government") should be either deported to another country or jailed.

In fact, based on your argument, you should be, since your opinion and words "offend me" and according to you I do have the right to not be offended by your speech. At the very minimum you should face a fine and possible jail sentence for your offensive speech.

HOWEVER, since the Constitution guarantees your inalienable right to express your opinions publicly without the fear of governmental reprisal, as well as attempts of others (myself included) to enforce their opinions and version of morality as law, I have no other recourse but to voice my disagreement with you on this forum.

Aren't you the lucky ducky?

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Did anyone actually read the article or are you just flying off the proverbial don't step on my rights handle?

This is aimed at obscenity btw... your free speech doesn't include cussing at my kids from your bumper.

I am all about freedom and rights but if you can't use the F word on TV and Radio it shouldn't be on the back of your car either.

Flame away...

You bring up a good point - cussing on television should not be regulated by the government.

If specific broadcasting networks choose not to include those words, that should be their choice - but the choice to censor speech should never be decided by our government.

Opposing opinions, and even cuss words, exist in our society. They are only ideas and words, and should be treated as such.

BillyT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Indy
    This is a private forum. The owner sets and enforces the rules. There is censorship on this board and anyone who wishes to be a part of INGO agrees to that.

The public square has no such rules. Society does set a general definition of what is decent and indecent, and what is right and wrong. But, those lines move depending on where, when, and who the people are. There will always be those that live outside of those lines when it comes to speech. They will most likely be ostracized, but their right to speak is vital so that I may also have my right to speak.

No one has a right to not be offended. No one would be able to live under that idea. Anything can be offensive to someone.

This law offends me, and since I have a right to not be offended we should not have a law that makes it illegal to offend someone.

Just saying the law is ridiculous. But since it's the law you can either love it or leave it. Right?

I'm not even sure the founders would call this America or the people here Americans. Just remember this is done for your good.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Just saying the law is ridiculous. But since it's the law you can either love it or leave it. Right?

Or you can refuse to obey and practice a little civil disobedience. Police can refuse to enforce it.
    Or people can petition change in a bunch of other ways.

"Love it or leave it" is the mantra of people who endorse Big Government. There is not a lot to love about our current library of over-reaching laws and bloated government.

Top Bottom