• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MattYagPD01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    FW
    for the sake of arguement and the discussion in this thread (there are other threads that argue the validity of the subject; please keep those agurements to that thread), lets assume the following to be true:

There will be some sort of economic collapse. degree, magnitude and length are up to God.

What indicators do you think will be the first to show the timing?
    What indicators should be watched for the magnitude?
    What indicators should be payed attention to for length?

IE:

timing: Foreign banks freeze T-Bill purchasing
    Magnitude: If, after a short rise in inflation there is still order and we, as a populace, are able to feed ourselves, the magnitude will be small
    Length: based on above, will be short and not very difficult. Wouldn't qualify (in my book) as a TEOTWAWKI event.

there are a ton of you out there that are a lot smarter and better educated then me. What should I as the generally dumb public look for?

M

Jerry D Young

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    Reno, NV
    Timing - Bank Holiday
    Magnitude - Riots = Big, no riots = Small
    Length - Measure are taken to see people get food = short term, people going hungry = long term

Just my thoughts on the matter.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    TEOTWAWKI indicator: OHHH BOOY DO I HAVE ONE

What indicators do you think will be the first to show the timing?

Steven Tyler (Singer of the band aerosmith for those who don't know) as a judge for American Idol Has to be a sign of The End Of The World As we Know It. At least the end of rock and roll as i wanted to remember it.

What indicators should be watched for the magnitude?

How high or Low the ratings will be since this show has already JUMPED THE SHARK.

What indicators should be payed attention to for length?

Lord what will we do without rock and roll music.

Truthfully maybe we need a good cleansing of the sheeple: these shows and the clones that follow what the kardashians are keeping in their trunks (big trunks I admit) and which stars are dancing around for votes in the upcoming elections are why I am hoping the golden horde clamps down hard on some and leaves us good old boys listening to Aerosmith rocks album on the 8 track players of the old camaro. (8 track players are going to withstand EMP attacks by the way)

MerKWorK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 1, 2010
    Muncie
    Indicator:The country looks nothing like the ideas put forth by the framers of the constitution!
    Magnitude:FUBAR
    Length:Been going strong for about a century, doesn't seem to be going anywhere soon (unless revolt or total collapse)!
    I think that is the scariest scenario...The indicators for TEOTWAWKI are here, even if a slow slide, things will be very hard for every one. Hope I am not over stepping the bounds of this thread, but your only freedom during TEOTWAWKI is total independence and self sufficiency...and the means to retain them!

Last edited:

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    As much as I love a good discussion about survival and prepping this is getting ridiculous anymore. Its not the disaster that you see that needs to be prepared for most but the incident that you will not see coming that is the most dangerous.

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Jamrriott - I totally get that Steven Tyler/ R&R thing!

When the things you believe to be "the glue" holding our society together become passe or nonexistent, Look Out! The indicators that make sense to me are common manners and NUTELLA!

Indicator: Lack of Nutella on store shelves across your area. Lack of common courtesy in word and deed to others, regardless of their station in society.

Magnitude: Lack of Nutella in store shelves around your state and contiguous states. In manners, about where it is when you talk to any group of young people smoking outside of the Walmart or Circle K tonight.

Length: More than a week or two, as I run through my Nutella stash. Manners: already been too long.

As Ed Tom bell says in NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN: "I think once you stop hearing Sir and Ma'am, and there's no Nutella in the store, the rest is sure to follow."

MattYagPD01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    FW
    ok... back to the original post...

If you want to discuss the merits, please, go to another thread and call me a nut job. :runaway: I'm ok with that. :) My wife corner's the market, so you will have a lot of competition with regard to the whole name calling thing. What can i say ... :alcoholic:

I self medicate.....

:):

I guess the idea for the post was a little missed. I was hoping to learn some other 'indicators' that you all might be able to derive from the mess I see. To bring this back to:

What do you see as being something that most 'Joe Six Pack' neighbors are going to ignore. I don't mean the 'feeling' or the 'this is what Glenn said' (not that I don't believe Glenn) but the observation's of my fellow Hoosier nut jobs.

M

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    To put it as simply as I can:

When the elected officials of government begin to see themselves as better than the rest of us, go directly against the will of the people and exclude themselves from "what is best for us". When a state with the 11th largest economy in the world goes broke because all the city managers and every other gov. employee thinks that 2-3 million dollar a year salaries are okay and then work 3-4 day weeks instead of taking cuts like everyone else. When our federal government out right REFUSES to protect our northern and southern borders and then sues a state for protecting it's legal citizens. When a man 5'6" and 170 pounds is considered obese and cannot drive a commercial vehicle in the name of safety, yet all the mexican'ts and pakis that don't read or speak english are "safe"(bear in mind that ALL street signs in the US are printed in english and the law requires one to speak and read it in order to legally drive here). When an alien, legal or otherwise can vote merely because he has a DL and we paid for a translator so he could illegally take the test......Man, I could do this all friggin' night, should I keep going? When the Pres. of the US refuses to prove his citizenship and still gets elected (yeah right, elected my azz) or when a citizen is scrutinized but an illegal cannot even be asked to produce ID.......When the nations treasury is operated by a private bank with NO accountability whatsoever and the currency is intentionally devalued in the name of globalization. The only way we need to be global is with ICBMs. Oh yeah, when our president insists on disarming our nukes without our enemies doing so and the SOS attempts to bow to the UN and give in to a small arms treaty that our fathers, brothers and grandfathers have all turned down since the inception of the UN.......okay, that's enough of what I see as indicators, how about you?

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    To put it as simply as I can:

When the elected officials of government begin to see themselves as better than the rest of us, go directly against the will of the people and exclude themselves from "what is best for us". When a state with the 11th largest economy in the world goes broke because all the city managers and every other gov. employee thinks that 2-3 million dollar a year salaries are okay and then work 3-4 day weeks instead of taking cuts like everyone else. When our federal government out right REFUSES to protect our northern and southern borders and then sues a state for protecting it's legal citizens. When a man 5'6" and 170 pounds is considered obese and cannot drive a commercial vehicle in the name of safety, yet all the mexican'ts and pakis that don't read or speak english are "safe"(bear in mind that ALL street signs in the US are printed in english and the law requires one to speak and read it in order to legally drive here). When an alien, legal or otherwise can vote merely because he has a DL and we paid for a translator so he could illegally take the test......Man, I could do this all friggin' night, should I keep going? When the Pres. of the US refuses to prove his citizenship and still gets elected (yeah right, elected my azz) or when a citizen is scrutinized but an illegal cannot even be asked to produce ID.......When the nations treasury is operated by a private bank with NO accountability whatsoever and the currency is intentionally devalued in the name of globalization. The only way we need to be global is with ICBMs. Oh yeah, when our president insists on disarming our nukes without our enemies doing so and the SOS attempts to bow to the UN and give in to a small arms treaty that our fathers, brothers and grandfathers have all turned down since the inception of the UN.......okay, that's enough of what I see as indicators, how about you?

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    Economies don't just get strong or weak over night. They are set up for growth or failure over long periods of time.

Then, one day - somebody notices the disparity between where we are now and where we were in the past.

MattYagPD01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    FW
    Tj, amazing points. I wonder how each of your these will play out behind the scenes? Do you forsee any particular flags that will pop up? For instance, a large spike in food stamp applications due to inflationary indexing of grocery items, leads to elderly and fixed income with not enough good, leads to spike in fixed income deaths. So the result would be those on unemployment and retirement starving but the indicator would be 20% increase in milk.

Thoughts?

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    as oil prices continue to rise, the cost of ALL agricultural goods will go up. Due to this, land leases will cost farmers more and agri-goods will go higher. As the inflationary spiral continues (related to agri-goods) upward people will begin panicking and stockpiling thus causing further price increase due supply and demand (capitalism kicks in full force now as demand increases)......further gov. regulation, rationing, food riots, martial law......

Is that more like it? I think I'm starting to understand your exercise.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    FoxNews.com - Record Number of Americans Receiving Food Stamp Benefits

The next bubble - land (farmlands will increase in price) (acres, prices) - Rural and Small Town Living -Relocation, moving, countryside, farms, health, schools... - City-Data Forum

Consumer Price Inflation: The Wolf at the Door

I'd say we are well on our way if not right up against it. We're in a sinking ship but most aboard haven't the foggiest clue whats going on. I guess that makes us the rats scurrying out of the ship as it takes on water, huh?

Top Bottom