• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ghunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    nap-town
    The F-word: Fuel. Any big problem with this one word will really mess up the "just in time" distribution of food and other essentials. It all revolves around fuel.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    The F-word: Fuel. Any big problem with this one word will really mess up the "just in time" distribution of food and other essentials. It all revolves around fuel.
    That will be the short term fallout from a fuel shortage. Truck drivers have threatened it since the '70s, and "they" have certainly been listening. Without fuel, your grocers shelves will be empty in less than 48 hours and manufacturing will grind to an immediate halt.....

MattYagPD01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    FW
    Fuel would be your result. What would cause the fuel shortage? What would cause the shortage.... what would be your indicator?

M

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Not quite a necro-thread, but something to review and look at. Many of the economic indicators of TEOTWAWKI are indeed happening right now.
    Economic chaos looms imminent with many nations wanting to drop the dollar for trading, social unrest in the arab countries affecting oil prices, total denial about inflation in the US, food prices are rising and expected to skyrocket.
    Just something to think about.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Not quite a necro-thread, but something to review and look at. Many of the economic indicators of TEOTWAWKI are indeed happening right now.
    Economic chaos looms imminent with many nations wanting to drop the dollar for trading, social unrest in the arab countries affecting oil prices, total denial about inflation in the US, food prices are rising and expected to skyrocket.

I believe your resucitation (sp?) of this is well in order Bill. I probably wouldn't have read it otherwise. Thanks. :yesway:

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    What a joke. We don't get OUR oil from the middle east and thus it really has nothing to do with the prices. The reason we are concerned with the middle east and it's stability is CASH, the companies that pump and refine the oil in the middle east are British and US companies. Our military is nothing more than a private security force for the oil companies of England.
    According to data from the US Department of Energy, of the top five suppliers of crude oil to the US only one, Saudi Arabia, is a Middle East exporter. In March 2008, the US imported 1.795 million barrels per day (b/d) from Canada, 1.535 million b/d from Saudi Arabia, 1.214 million b/d from Mexico, 1.154 million b/d from Nigeria, and 858,000 b/d from Venezuela. These top five suppliers accounted for 68 percent of total US crude oil imports for that month.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Yeah, I'm not terribly excited about a combined Euro-American market that can dictate how the the exchange is run. It opens up a big can of worms about how such a thing is properly regulated.

As far as fuel goes...Even though we get most of our fuel from the Western Hemisphere, the price of it is still affected by what happens in the Eastern Hemishpere.

Since oil is also traded in dollars, the strength of our currency really impacts the cost of fuel.

So, it's a double whammy.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I think a good TEOTWAWKI indicator will be when you walk into walmart during the week and start seeing bare shelves that stay unstocked. this will show a disruption in the fragile transportation and logistical side of things in this country. also could be an indicator of massive food hoarding by our government or large private entities because they know something big is coming. We already see this on a smaller scale, but when it starts hitting the major grocery retailers on a consistent basis then you will need to act.

another indicator will be regular power failures starting in areas that have never experienced them before. in california and new york, these are regular events, but here in central indiana they are not. So if you start experiencing these its another waring sign.

2-cents. im no expert

Brian87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    When the dollar dies that will be a very bad day.
    The hand writing is on the wall.
    We have been weighed we have been measured and we have been found wanting.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    I think a good TEOTWAWKI indicator will be when you walk into walmart during the week and start seeing bare shelves that stay unstocked. this will show a disruption in the fragile transportation and logistical side of things in this country. also could be an indicator of massive food hoarding by our government or large private entities because they know something big is coming. We already see this on a smaller scale, but when it starts hitting the major grocery retailers on a consistent basis then you will need to act.

another indicator will be regular power failures starting in areas that have never experienced them before. in california and new york, these are regular events, but here in central indiana they are not. So if you start experiencing these its another waring sign.

2-cents. im no expert
    This has been happening for a couple years, but you never see it. When they have a shortage, they pull that isle out and move the others a bit further apart to fill the gap or they fill those shelves with a product from another department to give the impression of full shelves....Today I noticed they had they fluorescent lights turned off at the Camby wally world, relying on the skylights.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    This has been happening for a couple years, but you never see it. When they have a shortage, they pull that isle out and move the others a bit further apart to fill the gap or they fill those shelves with a product from another department to give the impression of full shelves....Today I noticed they had they fluorescent lights turned off at the Camby wally world, relying on the skylights.
    My local WM has many bare spots on the shelves, too. Bread aisle, ketchup aisle, hot dog aisle. Even the milk section is only 40% or so stocked.

WM claims that it is due to limiting the number of items they carry in their inventory and/or preparing to re-set the shelf layout (as you wrote above). My main point is that, this HAS been happening for a while now in my area, too, and I leave it to others as to whether or not it is due to shortages or a business refining their stock.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    My local WM has many bare spots on the shelves, too. Bread aisle, ketchup aisle, hot dog aisle. Even the milk section is only 40% or so stocked.

WM claims that it is due to limiting the number of items they carry in their inventory and/or preparing to re-set the shelf layout (as you wrote above). My main point is that, this HAS been happening for a while now in my area, too, and I leave it to others as to whether or not it is due to shortages or a business refining their stock.
    Yeah, I've witnessed it at walmarts all over the country (I travel a LOT) for a while now.

Top Bottom