• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Yay! Now put a warning sign at the entrance that says you may die if you go further...I've been places like that before. Personal responsibility, the right equipment and training tend to be necessary to survival.

Maybe a sign like this?

138039.jpg

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Yay! Now put a warning sign at the entrance that says you may die if you go further...I've been places like that before. Personal responsibility, the right equipment and training tend to be necessary to survival.

A soccer team coach and his team probably don't qualify...maybe the coach should be paying for the rescue expense if appropriate warnings were posted. :twocents:

Putting warning signs is a very American thing.Most parts of the world just relly on people's common sense and don't warn you of obvious "common sense" dangers.

You can't put signs in front of all cave entrances, on top of cliffs, at the bottom of cliffs, in rivers, next to roads telling you to look both ways before crossing etc.

Your personnal responsibility is engaged even without warning signs.

I've been to places where they just put warning signs for non-obvious risks such as burried land mines.

117298ea371501d15c42945b9e61f46e.jpg

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    +1 Sylvain.

Our overly-litigious society is very much to blame. Used to play stupid games, and win stupid prizes. Now you play stupid games, and get rewarded.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    +1 Sylvain.

Our overly-litigious society is very much to blame. Used to play stupid games, and win stupid prizes. Now you play stupid games, and get rewarded.

When my girlfriend (she's American) visited me in France, she was amazed of all the "dangerous things" that we had over here.
    She kept telling me "there would be a sign in the US".Or "this whole thing would be closed the public".

We have a road/street that is next to the harbor, no warning signs, no barriers to keep you from falling into the sea when you're driving on parking your car.Which is allowed on that street ... just kinda dangerous.

ob_22192a_001-saint-valery-et-chateau-trompette.JPG

Even when the water level gets that high people still drive there.The city never added a sign.

grandes-mar%C3%A9es-aout2014-04.jpg

Now when the road is fully covered with water and you can't tell where the road ends and where the ocean begins it gets interesting.

Here's a parking spot where cars are just a foot away from the edge of the wharf.No signs either.

grandes-mar%C3%A9es-aout2014-02.jpg

I always double check that the reverse gear is engaged when I'm parked there and leaving the parking spot, otherwise if you go forward you will sink and possibly die trapped inside your car.

You can be sure that people are not texting and driving in that area.They pay attention to the road ... or the ocean, it's hard to tell which is which when it's raining. :):

ob_22192a_001-saint-valery-et-chateau-trompette.JPG

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Getting trapped in a flooded cave and dying isn't even on the top 10 list of bad thing that happen to kids every day in Thailand.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Putting warning signs is a very American thing.Most parts of the world just relly on people's common sense and don't warn you of obvious "common sense" dangers.

You can't put signs in front of all cave entrances, on top of cliffs, at the bottom of cliffs, in rivers, next to roads telling you to look both ways before crossing etc.

Your personnal responsibility is engaged even without warning signs.

I've been to places where they just put warning signs for non-obvious risks such as burried land mines.

I agree...but my post was in response to a recommendation to plug the hole. Personally, I'd prefer taking the warnings off everything and letting it sort itself out.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I agree...but my post was in response to a recommendation to plug the hole. Personally, I'd prefer taking the warnings off everything and letting it sort itself out.

So you’re OK with kids getting themselves hurt? Gotta teach them some sort of lesson through death? :dunno:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Getting trapped in a flooded cave and dying isn't even on the top 10 list of bad thing that happen to kids every day in Thailand.

Bangkok was always know as where the Japanese business guys go to "unwind". Never been there, but the stories I've been told are creepy.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    So you’re OK with kids getting themselves hurt? Gotta teach them some sort of lesson through death? :dunno:
    In this incident, the kids did NOT get themselves hurt.

An adult got those kids hurt, through HIS bad decisions. This is on the coach, not on the kids.

Besides:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tham_Luang_cave_rescue
    Since part of the cave system is seasonally flooded, a sign advising against entering the caves during the rainy season (July–November) is posted at the entrance

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    In this incident, the kids did NOT get themselves hurt.

An adult got those kids hurt, through HIS bad decisions. This is on the coach, not on the kids.

Besides:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tham_Luang_cave_rescue

Right, I know. So how does that change anything in the discussion of making things safe? People are arguing for leaving it open and even removing warning signs. Think the parents care whose fault it is when their kids are trapped? They just want their kid safe.

Top Bottom