• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Life is not "safe". There is absolutely nothing "safe" about exploring a cave.

They trusted their kids to a coach, and that didn't work.
    The local government put up signage, and forbids entry during the rainy season, and that didn't work.

Heck, from what I can tell, these kids had permission from their parents to go with the assistant coach to the cave. They went there specifically to celebrate one player's birthday. If this is the case (I admit, I am reading between the lines), the parents were all perfectly OK accepting the known risks.

This is part of a local park, with religious, cultural, and geological significance. They offer guided tours during the DRY seasons.The other 73,000 people that visited the site (from the park's website) shouldn't get to see the cave, because of ONE person?

Indiana has a bunch of caves. People visit them pretty often. Some folks have gotten trapped. Some have even died. Many have signage. Some are gated. Folks get in anyway. Do we need to seal them up with concrete? At what point do folks need to take responsibility for themselves (and their minor charges)?

Taking this to the logical conclusion: these are SOCCER players. The sport is KNOWN to cause injuries, especially to the head. Shouldn't THAT be banned?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Rush’s KOOKS group would support banning soccer.

I see your point on the tourism and tours. Maybe only shut it down during wet season.

I’m making a bigger point about making things safe so those who can’t gauge risk aren’t injured. A blind cave system doesn’t offer much to society during a rainy season.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm glad INGO is such an "echo chamber" because it prevented anyone from disagreeing about anything in this topic.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I’m making a bigger point about making things safe so those who can’t gauge risk aren’t injured. A blind cave system doesn’t offer much to society during a rainy season.

Nature isn't safe. Ever been to the Grand Canyon? Probably one of the last tourist filled areas of the US where you can plunge to your death with a wrong step because, thankfully, the entire trail isn't cluttered with guard rails and "don't fall to your death" signs. The fact that it's relatively untouched by man and somewhat dangerous is often the *point* of such endeavors.

Ski

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Indy
    Nature isn't safe. Ever been to the Grand Canyon? Probably one of the last tourist filled areas of the US where you can plunge to your death with a wrong step because, thankfully, the entire trail isn't cluttered with guard rails and "don't fall to your death" signs. The fact that it's relatively untouched by man and somewhat dangerous is often the *point* of such endeavors.
    Even with the guardrails people manage to fall to their death. This guy was less than a week ago.

https://gcmaz.com/grand-canyon-visitor-killed-after-falling-500-feet-from-mather-point/

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch

Yep. Kinda off the beaten path though. Not a lot of kids passing the rim on their way home from soccer

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm glad INGO is such an "echo chamber" because it prevented anyone from disagreeing about anything in this topic.

Does me thinking this coach is a jackwagon that is damn lucky none of his team died due to his absolute ineptitude in taking them into a cave that floods during monsoon season count as a contrarian? I'm sick of people calling him a hero for "keeping them alive" in there. If he hadnt made that nuclear grade bad judgement call to take them in this time of year, we wouldnt be talking about this.

Oh, and an ex SEAL would still be alive today. That coach has that man's blood on his hands.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Does me thinking this coach is a jackwagon that is damn lucky none of his team died due to his absolute ineptitude in taking them into a cave that floods during monsoon season count as a contrarian? I'm sick of people calling him a hero for "keeping them alive" in there. If he hadnt made that nuclear grade bad judgement call to take them in this time of year, we wouldnt be talking about this.

Oh, and an ex SEAL would still be alive today. That coach has that man's blood on his hands.

I have thought this from the 1st.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Yep. Kinda off the beaten path though. Not a lot of kids passing the rim on their way home from soccer
    I guess assistant soccer coaches in the US make better decisions, then.

5 million people visit the Grand Canyon each year. An average of 12 people die each year. We seem to be perfectly OK with those numbers.

73,000 people visit this particular cave each year. On average, zero people die each year. Somehow, we are NOT OK with these numbers?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I guess assistant soccer coaches in the US make better decisions, then.

5 million people visit the Grand Canyon each year. An average of 12 people die each year. We seem to be perfectly OK with those numbers.

73,000 people visit this particular cave each year. On average, zero people die each year. Somehow, we are NOT OK with these numbers?

do you believe they drive heavier and heavier trucks over a bridge until it fails and then use that to determine the safe load of a bridge?

assumed safety is often reassessed after tragedy. This risk/benefit analysis of leaving the cave open during rainy season seems pretty clear

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    do you believe they drive heavier and heavier trucks over a bridge until it fails and then use that to determine the safe load of a bridge?
    That's all done in software, now. Used to be done on paper. Before that, yeah, they pretty much just built the bridge and hoped it would work.

I am sure you know that there is a whole industry around analyzing risk, and determining what is acceptable. Death, even of a minor child, is a perfectly acceptable risk for a wide range of activities. If there was NO acceptable risk, we would not be allowed to do ANYTHING.

Besides, there are bigger fish to fry in Thailand. A few people having a rough week in a cave pales in comparison to other issues in the region. I wonder how many children were sold into sexual slavery that week?

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    This forum is filled with people who have firearms, knives, swords, axes, and children. They teach their kids how to handle these things safely and effectively. Many people would have us grind off the edges and plug the barrels because 'kids'. I am highly opposed to these things proposed by the fearful to protect the stupid. I am no more in favor of walling off the world because some people are idiots 24/7 and teach their kids the same skills.

On getting out of the cave the first thing said to the coach should not have been congratulations on keeping them alive, it should have been what the H E double hockey sticks were you thinking you moron.

The only thing that is guaranteed in life is death, everything dies; every man, woman and child, every animal, every plant, every planet, every star. I choose not to live in fear with the life I have and teach my children to be brave and adventurous. Of course, I also strive to teach them not to be stupid and end up with a Darwin Award or in a Jackass or Girls Gone Wild video.

Top Bottom