• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The Japanese skating performance last night used a song from a recent ice skating anime called "Yuri!!! On Ice"

[video=youtube;pu09MXqAa54]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu09MXqAa54[/video]

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Finished an anime last night called "Made in Abyss". It's free on Amazon Prime... and winning/won a number of "Anime of the Year" for 2017.

It's one of those rare shows that come along and just floor you. The art style is deceptively unique... you'd almost think it was a kids show at first glance.

Oh ho... ho ho ho... you'd be wrong. The entire show... from the music to the beautiful environments and character designs... it just screams quality. The story takes you on a mind-**** trip later in the season... Looks like the anime continuation was announced last November... so we'll see if it's another season, movie, or OVAs.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Here's all the anime in IMDb's Highest Rated TV shows of all time

Some of these feel like they should be higher than they are... but definitely some good stuff here.

One Punch Man and Erased are pretty new... looks like they had a strong impact on the viewers to reach this sort of rating. Both are good, not sure I'd put Erased that high though.

22 - Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
    25 - Death Note
    27 - One Punch Man
    31 - Cowboy Bebop
    57 - Attack on Titan
    67 - Dragon Ball Z
    70 - Steins;Gate
    99 - Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
    101 - Rurouni Kenshin - Trust and Betrayal
    105 - Fullmetal Alchemist (2003)
    106 - Monster
    114 - Berserk (1997)
    116 - Hunter x Hunter (2011)
    126 - Saint Seiya
    137 - Neon Genesis Evangelion
    138 - Samurai Champloo
    151 - Dragon Ball
    164 - Rurouni Kenshin: Wandering Samurai
    173 - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
    188 - Erased
    191 - One Piece
    194 - Clannad: After Story
    222 - Parasyte: The Maxim
    223 - Mushi-shi
    230 - Yu Yu Hakusho
    233 - Boku no Hero Academia
    236 - Dragon Ball Z Kai
    238 - Naruto: Shippuden

Highest rated doesn't mean all that great. That list doesn't have classics such as Robotech, Starblazers, Battleship Yamoto, Captain Harlock, Force Five, or even Gaiking.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Just finished another one of the anime on Amazon, called "Girls' Last Tour"

What starts out as a post-apocalyptic, mysterious, quiet slice-of-life with seemingly only two people alive in the world... turns into a deep, sometimes dark, and very philosophical story that has a weird twist near the end. It makes you want to know so much more about the world they're trodding through, seeking food and shelter... how it became so desolate and empty... The super-advanced city structure, yet WWII-era machinery and weapons.

It's a short one, 12 episodes. Stays pretty "realistic"... and when it's over you wonder... "What the hell did I just watch?"

Next up... Houseki no Kuni (Land of the Lustrous)... the last major Amazon-hosted Anime of 2017.

I find it pretty amazing that all three of these anime were extremely highly rated... and all just happened to be picked up by Amazon.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Gigguk talks about the birth and rise of Mecha anime in the 50s, up to where it is today, and what it influenced.

Sparse language.

[video=youtube;H6OHVrQ5tcw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6OHVrQ5tcw[/video]

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    When anime dubs are unintentionally hilarious out of context.

[video=youtube;nzWEcIrqoZQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzWEcIrqoZQ&feature=youtu.be[/video]

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Would there be enough interest in a "What are you reading" thread? Akin to the "what are you listening to"...

Are there enough people here that read books to talk about it in such a thread?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Would there be enough interest in a "What are you reading" thread? Akin to the "what are you listening to"...

I just look at the pictures, so...

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If anyone's familiar with Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo... two legendary anime by the equally legendary Shinichirō Watanabe...

There's a new anime this season called Megalobox. It's not made by Watanabe... but it has very strong Bebop/Champloo vibes. The art style is even from the 90s sort of anime... with today's high quality touches. It's actually created in commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the manga ashita no Joe

Gritty... with excellent music composed by hip-hop artist mabanua. The core of it is boxing... with some futuristic and dark twists.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    If anyone's familiar with Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo... two legendary anime by the equally legendary Shinichirō Watanabe...

There's a new anime this season called Megalobox. It's not made by Watanabe... but it has very strong Bebop/Champloo vibes. The art style is even from the 90s sort of anime... with today's high quality touches. It's actually created in commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the manga A****a no Joe

Gritty... with excellent music composed by hip-hop artist mabanua. The core of it is boxing... with some futuristic and dark twists.

Im on season 1 Ep 4 of cowboy bebop "gateway shuffle" as we speak. First watch through, pretty killer.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Houston Police Chief tweeting at Dana Loesch with all the ferocity of an angry high school girl.

https://twitter.com/ArtAcevedo/status/999088349532041216

Chief Art Acevedo said:
    Like I was saying, blah, blah, blah. Stop misrepresenting &/or lying about my views. Your action is leading to harassment by your minions. You may just make testing the limits of your dishonesty & cyber bullying worthwhile in Court. Many top-notch firms would do so pro-bono.

Lastly, I will not respond any further to you on any platform outside of a legal process. Be on notice that we will be watching and will do our talking in a court of Law if the need arises. Good day.

P.S. Dana, I Forgot to thank you for making my point in my response to your kind request for an appearance on your insignificant show. Before I close for the last time, did I mention court of law? I retain my right to explore the limits of your twisting of the truth in court.

giphy.gif

nwihiker

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2018
    Lake County

I'm always looking for new stuff to read so I would definitely be interested. I found this thread which had a lot of good book suggestions although it wasn't necessarily a "What are you reading" thread.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break-room/449842-anyone-enjoy-reading-books.html

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Top Bottom