• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Hour and a half? How many times has Kevin lit up?

They talk about the Rosanne thing, survival in an apocalyptic event (super volcanos), comedy, diet, Kevin's heart attack, pets (both of them actually cry, never seen that before), a long segment on cats and big cats and how powerful they are.

I'm at 2:30 now... and Joe just brought up some pyramid stuff ... and this is the first time I've seen Kevin light one up in this specific episode.

Edit: Ended on a deep discussion about faith and life and death.

Edit2: Every time I watch these sorts of discussions on JRE, it always makes me want to change so much in my life, be a better person, get healthier, do something I'm passionate about, find joy in life.

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Just finished a Netflix anime with the wife called Violet Evergarden. It was adapted by Kyoto Animation (very high quality studio), good 13 episode series. Interesting premise about civil war... and one soldier re-integrating into society as a letter writer (a service, at the time).

Another of the few amazing anime that Netflix picked up.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I don't have high hopes for the new series based on The Witcher to have any well-written female characters.

DhGkrnIVQAAZyTU.jpg:small

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    PewDiePie takes a semi-serious look at Starship Troopers, and how it was misunderstood as a parody of America.

[video=youtube;w4G77WgjtFQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4G77WgjtFQ&t=0s[/video]

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Finally got around to watching Neon Genesis Evangelion... an anime from the late 90's by Gainax. Very highly rated... huge impact on Japanese culture and anime as a whole. Big influence on the industry, as well as many anime that followed it.

It's a weird one. They ran out of money on the last two episodes, so it was mostly re-hashed content and still frames... then they remade them a year later how they wanted... then they made a couple movies that re-did the endings... All super complex. It's full of philosophical topics... including odd things like the Dead Sea Scrolls and the Lance of Longinus... and also full of birthing allegories... and vaginas. So many vaginas. Also psychosexual development, religious iconography, eschatology, mysticism...

Even the name translates to "A new telling of the Gospel: Genesis"... a re-imagining with lots of technology.

‎Schopenhauer's "Hedgehog's Dilemma" is the guiding theme. A depressing show filled with depressed, lonely people.

Got a lot of Eros and Thanatos in there... lot of Freud.

There seem to be two groups of people. Those that hated it, and those that love it. I... enjoyed the ride. The creator was massively depressed, and said he put a lot of himself into it... It felt more like they were trying really hard to make it complex and hard to follow.

"What the **** did I just watch" is a common feeling, apparently.

For a purely philosophical and religious analysis of the show, this video covers it very well... though it spoils everything.

Personally, I couldn't recommend it to someone unless they... A: Were aware of it already but never watched it (like me)... or B: Get a hard-on for philosophical and deep religious allegories.

https://youtu.be/USKzAj1dOq4

Last edited:

Haven

Network Warlord
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    It wasn’t that they just ran out of money, the writer/lead guy went into an asylum due to a nervous breakdown. He talked about it in an interview on one of the DVDs.

I still haven’t seen the two Eva movies. I originally saw Eva on VHS back in the 90s. I have it on DVD.

Have you checked out Serial Experiments Lain? It is also a bit weird, but good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It wasn’t that they just ran out of money, the writer/lead guy went into an asylum due to a nervous breakdown. He talked about it in an interview on one of the DVDs.

I still haven’t seen the two Eva movies. I originally saw Eva on VHS back in the 90s. I have it on DVD.

Have you checked out Serial Experiments Lain? It is also a bit weird, but good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah he's an interesting guy... and it definitely shows in NGE.

The only movie you need to watch is "End of Evangelion"... it's a new episode 25 and 26, very full of content. If the other one you're talking about is "Death and Rebirth", I read that one can be skipped. Then there's the rebuild movies... (2007 modernization of entire series...)

I have heard of Lain... have not seen it though, might have to add it to the list.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Another operation on the level of flat earth?

Gotta admit, it was really weird seeing 8chan being discussed on CNN.
    Yeah. The reaction - both among the mainstream and within the Xchan world - will be interesting, too.

Top Bottom