• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JimmieG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2017
    South Bend
    I hear ya, i usually dont pair hunting and AR in my head but i can see the appeal. I think i would of snagged an SKS. I do agree 5.56 ammo prices make it hard to shoot often. Good luck with the hunt!

Yeah, it does seem like a strange idea, but I already bought a 5-round mag just in case :)

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    JG don't implode bro, you're almost to 50. Eye on the prize, eye-on-the-prize.

Edit: and you did it the right way, so bravo.

Osprey

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Back to the rifle, how much are the magazines?

l have an ARAK 47 but not Bear Creek. My magazines were about $15-18.00 and bought them at GunMagWarehouse and they're ASC mags. Rifle runs great and only issues I had were the magazines. They weren't feeding properly so to remedy that, I loaded the mags to its fullest and let them sit for a few days. That loosened the spring and I had no more issues. However, I do not shoot steel. Everything I use is brass only.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Might just point out here that we look out for each other and if someone is doing something that could injure a bystander or themselves, we speak up and assert ourselves. It's no different than calling for a ceasefire on the range.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    JG don't implode bro, you're almost to 50. Eye on the prize, eye-on-the-prize.

Edit: and you did it the right way, so bravo.

I really wish everyone would follow this example. I like the guy. He starts good threads that are full of info and conversation. I was compelled from recent activity's of others to address this in the open.

I am glad we are back on track.

JimmieG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2017
    South Bend
    Back to the rifle, how much are the magazines?

It came with an ASC 30 rnd, so I'm not sure what they cost. I bought 3 C Products 30 rounders for around $20 each, and I got a 5 round that I think was around $12. The 5 round is just the 10 round with a huge extra hunk of spring in the bottom to prevent loading more than 5.

I am going to pick up a 20 rnd & 10 rnd to try those out as well, so I can report back on those when I get them.

JimmieG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2017
    South Bend
    Might just point out here that we look out for each other and if someone is doing something that could injure a bystander or themselves, we speak up and assert ourselves. It's no different than calling for a ceasefire on the range.

And I sincerely appreciate people looking out for each other, but remember what I said, it's all in the delivery. If you come pointing out the error of my ways in the right way, and you're correct about it, guess what... I'm going to pay attention and correct the problem.

On the other hand, if you come charging at me with guns blazing then of course I'm going to defend myself.

Again... it's all in how someone presents themselves.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I read through the entire post, I do have an opinion on "cheap" firearms. I feel that much of the price difference is due to (1) Advertising costs and (2) Fit and Finish. My son and I collect and own many firearms in just about every price range. We have Colts, Smith's Rugers, Kimber, Remington, Winchester, Marlin's, Springfield's, Armalite, as well as Jennings, Cobra, etc. and many surplus military including a couple of Garands, M1 Carbine, Russian Mosin's and SVD 40, several Mauser's, Swiss, Swedish, Enfield's (English and US), SKS's AK, I just have 1 AR assembled and 2 in process, 2 will be 5.56, 1 Grendel. Almost every firearm I own has been fired by my son and I. As far as reliability for the average user, that shoots less than 1K rounds a year, there is very little difference in the cheapest and most expensive firearm we own! Yeah I have had to polish the feed ramp of a few and bend / de-bur or adjust the magazine lips to eliminate feed problems, but that also occurred on some secondary market well regarded magazines.

Granted most of the inexpensive firearms are not as accurate as the very high priced rifles, but I have had some that were very surprising, all are at least as accurate as the average shooter and every handgun I have seen has been more than accurate enough for self defense.

I have viewed tests of one of the "cheap" AR's showing the rifle run until the gas tube melted! This took, as I recall, about 1k of rounds rapid fired and reloaded quickly. I don't pocket carry often - then only with a derringer that requires cocking of the hammer (a fairly hard to do operation) and then turning the safety off to fire. I have never had the hammer cock while carrying this way, I normally carry a Kimber Solo in a Galco ITB holster, and only carry the Derringer to local stores when I make a quick trip. I would never recommend pocket carry to a new firearm owner or ever carry a semi auto or revolver this way.

I have been carrying almost every day for well over 25 years, and hunting, shooting for over 62 years. I am very safety conscious, and although it can happen to anyone, have never to this date had an ND or AD.

I would encourage every new firearm owner to purchase the firearm he/she can afford rather than waiting a year for an expensive one. I would then recommend they take the firearm to the range and make sure the firearm functions flawlessly before carrying. This must be done with the ammo they intend to use. If it does not then return it to the place of purchase or the manufacturer or have a gunsmith repair it and retest.

While I have heard many cut down the Hipoint's and cheap AR's, I have rarely seen any evidence that they are not reliable. Almost all AR's have the same metal used for the individual parts, so normally they will wear just as long whether they are "cheap" or expensive. Granted the inexpensive models may not be as accurate or have as nice of a fit and finish but almost all will function properly - although some may not function with all ammo so that is why I recommend testing at the range. Actually some of the more expensive AR's have a tighter chamber and may be more ammo sensitive! Many of the original 1911's as well as some new models with the original design feed ramp will not function reliably with any but Ball ammo oronly certain hollow point ammo. My Colt Double Eagle will digest anything but I have a RI that almost demands Ball.

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    I enjoy my 7.62 x 39, a great plinker! I have a little more money in mine ($499.00), but they are probably comparable in quality, I just purchased mine a while back before the prices really started to drop. AR Stoner upper, and Anderson lower. I have about 600 rounds through mine, and so far has been flawless. The only "weird" thing I did was add the customized firing pin to hit the "crappy" Russian ammo a bit deeper. I have shot GECO (brass), Tula, brown bear and wolf.

I have some 30 round and 10 round mags. I paid $20 for the 30 and $14 for the 10 from midwayusa. From what I hear and looking at mine, mags appear to be the weak link. I wish magpul would produce some. But so far mine have worked without any mods.

I have owned an SKS for many years (norinco) and had lots of ammo, so this gives me a second way to send some 7.62x39 downrange. Hitting the target at 100 yds, is almost boring :>)

I do notice a bit more kick with this caliber compared to my 5.56 AR's, but it is still quite manageable keeping on target.

Enjoy your new toy, I sure have mine!

I have included a photo of mine below. I went with all OD green to differentiate it from my 5.56 AR's. Didn't want to shove a 5.56 mag in this and try to shoot it!

ar762od.jpg

Ron

JimmieG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2017
    South Bend
    I read through the entire post, I do have an opinion on "cheap" firearms. I feel that much of the price difference is due to (1) Advertising costs and (2) Fit and Finish. My son and I collect and own many firearms in just about every price range. We have Colts, Smith's Rugers, Kimber, Remington, Winchester, Marlin's, Springfield's, Armalite, as well as Jennings, Cobra, etc. and many surplus military including a couple of Garands, M1 Carbine, Russian Mosin's and SVD 40, several Mauser's, Swiss, Swedish, Enfield's (English and US), SKS's AK, I just have 1 AR assembled and 2 in process, 2 will be 5.56, 1 Grendel. Almost every firearm I own has been fired by my son and I. As far as reliability for the average user, that shoots less than 1K rounds a year, there is very little difference in the cheapest and most expensive firearm we own! Yeah I have had to polish the feed ramp of a few and bend / de-bur or adjust the magazine lips to eliminate feed problems, but that also occurred on some secondary market well regarded magazines.

Sitting here wishing I was Larry's son too :)

Have to say I agree about fit & finish. My AR is a little loser than I like, but then again I was going to buy an AK, we no how notorious some of them are for rattling and clanging when you move them around.

On the Hi Points, my only beef with them is that they are so ugly! I don't know why they can't make them look a little more aesthetically pleasing. Other than that, everyone seems to love them, and from what I understand there's a lifetime warranty that's basically no questions asked. I suppose if the right deal came along I'd snag one of the carbines just for the fun of shooting one.

JimmieG

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2017
    South Bend
    I enjoy my 7.62 x 39, a great plinker! I have a little more money in mine ($499.00), but they are probably comparable in quality, I just purchased mine a while back before the prices really started to drop. AR Stoner upper, and Anderson lower. I have about 600 rounds through mine, and so far has been flawless. The only "weird" thing I did was add the customized firing pin to hit the "crappy" Russian ammo a bit deeper. I have shot GECO (brass), Tula, brown bear and wolf.

I have some 30 round and 10 round mags. I paid $20 for the 30 and $14 for the 10 from midwayusa. From what I hear and looking at mine, mags appear to be the weak link. I wish magpul would produce some. But so far mine have worked without any mods.

I have owned an SKS for many years (norinco) and had lots of ammo, so this gives me a second way to send some 7.62x39 downrange. Hitting the target at 100 yds, is almost boring :>)

I do notice a bit more kick with this caliber compared to my 5.56 AR's, but it is still quite manageable keeping on target.

Enjoy your new toy, I sure have mine!

I have included a photo of mine below. I went with all OD green to differentiate it from my 5.56 AR's. Didn't want to shove a 5.56 mag in this and try to shoot it!

Ron

Hey Ron, that's a really nice looking rifle! I bought mine fully expecting to replace the firing pin and spring to deal with light primer strikes because it seemed just about every AR I read about in 7.62x39 had the issue. I'm delighted to say I haven't had a single failure of any kind yet, including the light primer strikes.

How do you like the 10 round mags? I'm thinking of switching to them just to lighten the load a bit. I expected the rifle to be heavier than a typical AR, but I was a little surprised at how heavy it actually was with the loaded 30 round mags.

I wanted an SKS for a very long time, came very close a few times to getting a Yugo from classicfirearms.com until they all dried up. They still have the serb police models, but the nice armory refurbs are gone. I checked one out at a gun store some time later and was really glad I didn't buy one, it was a heavy beast with all that extra metal on the front of it!

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    Hey Ron, that's a really nice looking rifle! I bought mine fully expecting to replace the firing pin and spring to deal with light primer strikes because it seemed just about every AR I read about in 7.62x39 had the issue. I'm delighted to say I haven't had a single failure of any kind yet, including the light primer strikes.

How do you like the 10 round mags? I'm thinking of switching to them just to lighten the load a bit. I expected the rifle to be heavier than a typical AR, but I was a little surprised at how heavy it actually was with the loaded 30 round mags.

I wanted an SKS for a very long time, came very close a few times to getting a Yugo from classicfirearms.com until they all dried up. They still have the serb police models, but the nice armory refurbs are gone. I checked one out at a gun store some time later and was really glad I didn't buy one, it was a heavy beast with all that extra metal on the front of it!

Thanks!

Yeah, I purchased the spring and firing pin but I didn't put the spring in and it is fine. Not sure if I need the firing pin, but it is in and works, so I will just leave it.

I really like the 10 round mags. They are easy to carry and work well. I have several of them, mostly only use them.

Yeah the Yugo's look very front heavy. I really like the way mine feels. I even keep the bayo on. I got mine in the early 90's (best I can remember), and paid $125 for it. Wish I had got 10 of them :>).

Here is a shot of my SKS:

sks.jpg

Ron

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I’m a huge fan of high value guns.

I have three PSA guns, a WASR, and an Olympic Arms AR, all of them are looked down on by gun snobs, but they all work perfectly for me. My Oly, and WASR are over 10 years old with thousands of rounds between them, and have always run flawlessly.

Top Bottom