• ...and so much more!
  • KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Knew a kid that had a blue one. What a serious turd. Great looking car but the 301 was never intended to make power.
    Mine was the Indy Pace Car package. It was a beautiful car, but it wasn't capable of getting out of its own way.

The 3.8 turbo Buick was like driving a big block Mopar. No turbo lag, and plenty of torque.

455 Beretta

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 20, 2013
    WLaf
    You guys remember the year or two that Buicks took the pole and #2 starting spots at Indy? It was cool to listen to them as they drove by, low rpm sound vs the rest of the high revving bunch, Cosworths and Chevys I think? 1986, 1987??

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You guys remember the year or two that Buicks took the pole and #2 starting spots at Indy? It was cool to listen to them as they drove by, low rpm sound vs the rest of the high revving bunch, Cosworths and Chevys I think? 1986, 1987??

I was on several teams that ran the Buick. I was associated with the Menards effort. Crewed on the DB Mann efforts several years. We built most of the engines ourselves. Also modified Chevy and Cossy chassis to fit a Buick. It changed the CG significantly. Roll centers moved etc. We finished top 10 with John Paul Jr a few times. I ran with him and his dad on the SCCA Imsa GTP Buick hawk. Also worked with the Hendricks GTP Corvette. Good times.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    In 1988 my wife bought a 1986 T Type light blue, bench seat, roll up windows ect. It was the plainest Buick I have ever witnessed the poor car was sitting in the back row of a Cadillac dealer with 5,700 miles. We asked the price the salesman seemed annoyed to be dealing with teenagers and went inside after a long wait he came back out and said $7,700. We went to the bank did the loan got the car the dealer had priced it as a regular Buick Regal!

She went though two sets of back tires in 90 days her favorite was to sneak up on Trans Ams, Mustangs, Z28’s ect. most people just thought it was a Regal until it was too late.
    Back then Kenne bell had many parts for the Buick’s I remember a boost fuel pump, air intake and some kinda wastgate thing I put on it the carwas fast and comfortable.
    She kept it till 1995 then she traded it on a Mustang Cobra.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Yeah, my uncle had one of the predecessors, too, a couple of years before the Grand National was released. It was burgundy on burgundy, with whitewall tires and wire wheel hubcaps. As "old man" as you could get, without buying a station wagon. To a kid that didn't even have his license yet, it was UNBELIEVABLY fast. Still remember the hilarious turbo lag. Mash the gas, count "one mississippi, two mississippi, ..." and WHHHEEEEE! The car road like it was on pillows, couldn't corner faster than a walk, and a total sleeper (unless you saw the little "turbo" badge).

I'd have to dig out actual photo albums and see if I have a picture somewhere. Did find this online, and it is EXACTLY what I remember:
    001.jpg

What's funny, is that my OTHER uncle (technically, great-uncle) had the Oldsmobile version of this EXACT SAME CAR. Had the same Buick V6, but naturally aspirated. It couldn't get out of its own way, even with help. Of course, he was on old man, so drove like one, and the car was perfect for him.

Thanks for the memories, folks. My uncle passed earlier in the year. Nice to think back about all the fun we had.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I bought my first car when I was 16. I had already been working since I was 12. I saved up to buy (steal) a beautiful '83 Cutlass Supreme with T tops and chrome wheels.
    I'd give my lef.......

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Bought my Aunts 85 Riv for a dollar in 2006. I had always wanted it since I could ever remember as a kid. Spent my second deployment riches on new fenders and paint. She was in great shape but when I got out in 09 it started acting up. We pulled the 307 motor and put a rebuilt 307 from an olds down the street in 2012. Ended up selling it since I didn't have the room at our new home. Pretty sure the computer needed to be rebuilt or replaced.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Mine was the Indy Pace Car package. It was a beautiful car, but it wasn't capable of getting out of its own way.

Always liked the Indy Pace Cars, beautiful cars, never had one. I have had two of the 1981 Daytona Pace Car Trans Ams, one with the original 301 turbo and the other with a built SBC. Now that one was fun.

All this Trans Ams talk is making me want another one. :)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Always liked the Indy Pace Cars, beautiful cars, never had one. I have had two of the 1981 Daytona Pace Car Trans Ams, one with the original 301 turbo and the other with a built SBC. Now that one was fun.

All this Trans Ams talk is making me want another one. :)

The "1" was enough for me. had a few Poncho's. The 2 really cool ones got 427 hearts installed. The other was a 65 Goat.
    Then they were fast.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Oh, a 65 Goat, my favorite year. If God had not built Mopar I would be a Pontiac man.

65 burgandy black vinyl black guts Crager S/S wheels. Came 389 with 3 dueces. 3:55 gear if memory serves (:oldwise:) Not a bad runner just not fast. My buddys L-79 Nova would eat it alive. Found someone that had to have the Poncho heart and picked up a 427 vette piece at wrecks incorporated. $1 per horse power. $435 bucks. Dropped right in after moving the K-frame mounts. Chevell headers and longer battery cables etc. 4:10 gear and :wow:

I pot the small single breathers on the chevy tri-power. Painted the engine Poncho blue and maybe 2 people caught it. Everyone else missed it was a chevy. That car hauled.

bacon#1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Outside The Matrix
    I bought my first car when I was 16. I had already been working since I was 12. I saved up to buy (steal) a beautiful '83 Cutlass Supreme with T tops and chrome wheels.
    I'd give my lef.......

82 Cutlass Supreme Brougham was my first. It was like driving a cloud while sitting on cotton balls. I still measure rides compared to it.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I'm a black car with turbo nut. I've had a black turbo car since I was 17, but they're of the 4 cylinder variety and Fords.(See sig) I've always wanted a black v6 turbo car, and I love the platform of the GN. :drool:

455 Beretta

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 20, 2013
    WLaf
    You guys are cooler than I thought (lol, that’s a compliment). Especially Churchmouse who had a hand in the excitement on mid-80s Buicks at Indy. Very cool. I’m sure you have some good stories.

In the early 1990s, I had a computer racing game. I think it was called IndyCar Racing. They had varius cars, engines, gear, and suspension setups. Pretty in depth stuff for a computer game back then, only racing geeks could appreciate. Being a Buick nut, of course I tried qualifying in racing with the Buick engine. The engine would always blow after a while. I thought “stupid computer programmers, they have no idea...dang Chevy lovers.” I didn’t access game again for a few years. One day I got to thinking, hmmm, I wonder what would happen if I increased the gearing to lower the RPM. I’ll be darned if I didn’t make it to the front of the pack, and the engine survived.

Just like the real deal. Buicks make power down low...

Cool forum topic.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You guys are cooler than I thought (lol, that’s a compliment). Especially Churchmouse who had a hand in the excitement on mid-80s Buicks at Indy. Very cool. I’m sure you have some good stories.

In the early 1990s, I had a computer racing game. I think it was called IndyCar Racing. They had varius cars, engines, gear, and suspension setups. Pretty in depth stuff for a computer game back then, only racing geeks could appreciate. Being a Buick nut, of course I tried qualifying in racing with the Buick engine. The engine would always blow after a while. I thought “stupid computer programmers, they have no idea...dang Chevy lovers.” I didn’t access game again for a few years. One day I got to thinking, hmmm, I wonder what would happen if I increased the gearing to lower the RPM. I’ll be darned if I didn’t make it to the front of the pack, and the engine survived.

Just like the real deal. Buicks make power down low...

Cool forum topic.

Funny you mention that particular game. My good friend and next door neighbor Billy Bignotti (son of George)knew the developer of that game. He was in our shop and garage at the speedway a few times. Billy got the game loaded onto his laptop. I am not a gamer but the intricacy's of that game were intriguing. The set ups/roll centers/gearing etc were pretty on point to the real deal.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Always wanted a GN. I thought they were very cool looking.
    I did have an 86 Monte Carlo SS, white with t-tops, 305HO, after the 80 Camero, Black on Black. Loved both of them.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Always wanted a GN. I thought they were very cool looking.
    I did have an 86 Monte Carlo SS, white with t-tops, 305HO, after the 80 Camero, Black on Black. Loved both of them.
    Had an 85 SS which I was always hoping to find a turbo 3.8 to drop in. Never did, but always thought that would be the best of that particular chassis. With 3.73's even that 305 wasn't too bad.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I always felt cheated that I was born too late for the Muscle Cars. I was wrong, and it has taken me 53 years to realize it. I bought my first car in 1981, a month before my 16th birthday. I was a sophomore in high school with a 67 Camaro RS, with a '70 LT1 vette motor. It got stolen a month after I got my license, and I got a '69 Road Runner. I got what was left of the Camaro back, sold it, and bought a second Road Runner. Two Road Runners, $600 for the first one, $500 for the second one. These were the good days, I just didn't realize it then.

Fast forward to today, you can walk into any dealership and drive away with something over 400 horsepower, with heated leather seats, that is faster than anything made in 1970. We truly live in the greatest country on earth. 'Mercia! :patriot:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Had an 85 SS which I was always hoping to find a turbo 3.8 to drop in. Never did, but always thought that would be the best of that particular chassis. With 3.73's even that 305 wasn't too bad.

The spouse and I picked up 2 brand new cars 1 day apart. Hers was an 85 Olds Cutlass dressed out. Mine was an 85 Monti SS loaded out no T-Tops. 305 HO (:):) with 3.73's. Car was an OK street car. I loved it. Plans were to keep it a long long time.
    6 months later the spouse was hit head on and her Cutlass was totaled. I gave her my keys and shivered. The family had my Monti.
    I took it back 11 years later replacing it with a 96 Impala SS. Spouse loved the new car and I had my Monti back.
    The car was about 7 years old here and still doing daily driver duty. Yeah I was much younger/thinner...:):
    v5XtGlK.jpg

Pulling the stock 305 and prepping for the 425 HP small block.This was my sons car now. 16th "B" day present.
    R5tQCTU.jpg

Prepping for the hot rod mouse built 355 to replace the 305. My son got this car for his 16th "B" day.

Top Bottom