The case against shiny defensive firearms.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Well, this has been a fun thread :yesway:.

I have blued, stainless and what Star called Starvelle (which is really shiny and hard but doesn't seem to smudge at all). If you're in handgun range the handgun appearance is irrelevant. :twocents:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I wouldn't say appearance is irrelevant.

No decent person would want to get ambushed and shot in the back with a Hi Point.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Well, this has been a fun thread :yesway:.

I have blued, stainless and what Star called Starvelle (which is really shiny and hard but doesn't seem to smudge at all). If you're in handgun range the handgun appearance is irrelevant. :twocents:

Well if you could get into the duct work, and be eyeballing them from a vent with the pistol next to your forehead (so the camera can see you have your pistol) and a flash from someone snapchatting their hostageity could cause a starburst of light to shine off of that slide before the register at the Kroger has been completely emptied... What then, now your done caught and the men in ex president masks with mp5's are blasting away at the ductwork because they caught that flash of a shiny slide in the vent..

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    The only problems I've seen with competitors is that shiny surfaces sometimes interfere with sight/target acquisition. Bead blasting the topline of the firearm normally fixes that issue.

Otherwise, going down a dark alley at night without a high power flashlight out and your gun in at least the low ready is an indication you probably shouldn't be there.

Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Aw hell, I'll be blunt, not like the other posters in this thread. What everyone is saying is, that is a stupid question and the finish on your " Defensive handgun "don't mean squat. :bash:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I have got blued guns so worn they are now shiny....I think it matters not.....My two most carried (every day) are a S&W 640-1 and a Model 60-10 3 inch...As a matter of fact my 640-1 is in my wife's belt right now because, "I got to go to Loo-ah-vul and I forgot my gun so can I borrow yours????"

So today I am only carrying one...And it's not the one I normally have in that position...And I had to punch an extra belt hole to keep my britches up...And I want my 640-1 back on my hip where it's supposed to be....

Shiny handguns are beautiful and their beauty takes nothing away from their defensive lethality ....IMHO....

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Thanks, Denny.

That was supposed to be an inside joke.

Yeah...I'm off my game, but out of loyalty to my former client, Beemiller, Inc., I would like to make clear that the gun worked flawlessly and, being a subdued color (the gun), was not detected prematurely.

Last edited:

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I was told by a ancient LEO that nickel plated weapons were used to intimidate. Thus the reason for their popularity among LEO's and pimps.
    I carry a nickel plated M19 often and I have never been attacked so it must be effective?

Top Bottom