The case against shiny defensive firearms.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Yes, most self defense shootings are up close and personal. What if you end up in an unusual situation like a Vegas or church shooting? I realize the odds are slim but having been I pilot I believe in preparing for the worse possible scenario.

How much training have you had, and how much practice this year?

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    When I was a kid, I hunted with my dad's 870 wingmaster. Beautiful shotgun, pretty blueing, pretty wood. I was always scared to death that I was going to scratch it or nick it. I decided back then that when I could buy my own guns, my working guns would be plain and if they got beat to hell, they got beat to hell.

If my edc was a pretty gun, I would be concerned with keeping it pretty and that would reduce it's utility as a defensive tool. I carry a glock 19. It started life ugly and is now all scratched up with a few nicks and the finish wore off it here and there. It would not win any beauty pageants, but I have ran a few boxes of ammo through it and I would bet my life on it.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    When I was a kid, I hunted with my dad's 870 wingmaster. Beautiful shotgun, pretty blueing, pretty wood. I was always scared to death that I was going to scratch it or nick it. I decided back then that when I could buy my own guns, my working guns would be plain and if they got beat to hell, they got beat to hell.

If my edc was a pretty gun, I would be concerned with keeping it pretty and that would reduce it's utility as a defensive tool. I carry a glock 19. It started life ugly and is now all scratched up with a few nicks and the finish wore off it here and there. It would not win any beauty pageants, but I have ran a few boxes of ammo through it and I would bet my life on it.

Another winner.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    Guess that was the point of the entire thread. I see folks worried about the idiot mark on their 1911 etc. It is fine if you are a collector in search of rare firearms but by golly. If you have one for self defense take it out and use it and practice. Don't worry about some little mark or scratch. I carry several different platforms. My favorite is a 1911 that looks like hell. Bought it brand new in the year 2000. Never had a failure of any kind and wore out the barrel. Took it to Springfield in person and they replaced it while I waited. Still functions flawless. BTW, if I were to see a used handgun with total honest wear I wouldn't hesitate to buy it if the thing was what I wanted. It is an indication that somebody sure trusted it. Call me facetious or sarcastic.

Last edited:

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I recall Mas Ayoob writing that a shiny pistol makes it more likely to be seen by the bag guy, thus making it know to him sooner and more likely to run.

It's been a few years since I read it.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Did some Googleing
    It seems back in the day the theory right or wrong. Was that a nickel plated shiny weapon would let the bad guy know you were armed thus he or she would flee.
    Criminals often carried shiny weapons to "show off" they were armed.
    I recently went to Whittaker guns they had a polished Remington R1 with Pearl grips. It stood out among all the other 1911 models. It screamed buy me don't let your wife say "why do you need another pistol"

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    Guess that was the point of the entire thread. I see folks worried about the idiot mark on their 1911 etc. It is fine if you are a collector in search of rare firearms but by golly. If you have one for self defense take it out and use it and practice. Don't worry about some little mark or scratch. I carry several different platforms. My favorite is a 1911 that looks like hell. Bought it brand new in the year 2000. Never had a failure of any kind and wore out the barrel. Took it to Springfield in person and they replaced it while I waited. Still functions flawless. BTW, if I were to see a used handgun with total honest wear I wouldn't hesitate to buy it if the thing was what I wanted. It is an indication that somebody sure trusted it. Call me facetious or sarcastic.

I've got to call BS on this...45acp is low pressure low velocity and VERY barrel friendly. Most going easily 80k+ before even showing signs of accuracy loss. Unless you're doing frequent rapid fire mag dumps for several hundred rounds at a time until the barrel is glowing red, I find it hard to believe that you went even 50k without one single malfunction.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    It sounds like I need to get something really shiny so that I can try to reflect light into the bad guy's eyes and potentially blind him without having to shoot him in the face.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I was told by a ancient LEO that nickel plated weapons were used to intimidate. Thus the reason for their popularity among LEO's and pimps.
    I carry a nickel plated M19 often and I have never been attacked so it must be effective?

Jimmy Rogers liked his "silver mounted gat"

I'm a pistol-packin' papa, and when I walk down the streets
    You can hear those mamas shouting "don't turn your gun on me"
    Now girls, I'm just a good guy and I'm going to have my fun
    And if you don't want to smell my smoke, don't monkey with my gun
    Like a hobo when he's hungry, like a drunk man when he's full
    I'm a pistol-packin' papa and I know how to shoot the bull
    The whole of men don't hold me and they sure leave me be
    I'm a pistol-packin' papa and I ramble where I please
    Oh well, I have that funny feeling, that luring ramble's call
    I swing aboard of some freight train and I shoot my pistol low
    Sometimes one shot will do, near sometimes it takes four or five
    And sometimes I shoot all around before I'm satisfied

When you hear my pistol puffin' you better hide yourself someplace
    'Cause I ain't made for stoppin' and I come for a shootin' race
    My sweetheart understands me, she says I'm her big shot
    I'm her pistol-packin' daddy and I know I got to drop
    You can hear my Newsport roadster, you can take my Hartford hat
    But you can never take from me my silver-mounted gat
    I'm a pistol-packin' papa and I'm going to have my fun
    Just follow me and you will hear the barking of my gun

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Did some Googleing
    It seems back in the day the theory right or wrong. Was that a nickel plated shiny weapon would let the bad guy know you were armed thus he or she would flee.
    Criminals often carried shiny weapons to "show off" they were armed.
    I recently went to Whittaker guns they had a polished Remington R1 with Pearl grips. It stood out among all the other 1911 models. It screamed buy me don't let your wife say "why do you need another pistol"

Wouldn't open carry achieve the same results?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The eternal debate.

100631s2.jpg

Aluminum-Overcast-0715a.JPG

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I've got to call BS on this...45acp is low pressure low velocity and VERY barrel friendly. Most going easily 80k+ before even showing signs of accuracy loss. Unless you're doing frequent rapid fire mag dumps for several hundred rounds at a time until the barrel is glowing red, I find it hard to believe that you went even 50k without one single malfunction.

The rifleing was not the problem. The top barrel lugs started chipping away. It was one of those two piece barrels Springfield used. They replaced it with a one piece barrel.

Top Bottom