The case against shiny defensive firearms.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    A partial answer, but ok. Did they mention anything that would lead you to believe finish was relevant?

No they did not. I was just remembering the time some old Korean vet was talking about it and figured to get people's thoughts on the matter. Didn't think it would generate such harsh responses. That is one reason I don't post much here and yes. I shoot regularly. Dry fire practice at home also. Had my CCW since '84 after arriving to a broken in home. Also taught my (now) wife to shoot. She needed the IL at the time. The instructors noticed and told her the class was just a formality. She shot 298 out of 300 on the live fire test. They wanted her to teach women's classes. So no. I'm not new to this. Carry on.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    How much training have you had, and how much practice this year?

We all know that practicing isn't as important as [STRIKE]fantasizing[/STRIKE] planning.

And the real reason not to carry nickel plated guns is because eight year old girls are more attracted to shiny things.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    No they did not. I was just thinking about the time some old Korean vet was talking about it and figured to get people's thoughts on the matter. Didn't think it would create such harsh responses.

I saw truthful and perhaps blunt, but not harsh.

Most of the folks I see worry about minutiae and extreme low probability incidents haven't gotten the high reward stuff done yet. If you're worried about the finish of your gun affecting your ability to defend yourself with it, but aren't keeping up to date on training, practicing routinely, and maybe even working in some dry fire then you're just playing Walter Mitty.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Most of the folks I see worry about minutiae and extreme low probability incidents haven't gotten the high reward stuff done yet. If you're worried about the finish of your gun affecting your ability to defend yourself with it, but aren't keeping up to date on training, practicing routinely, and maybe even working in some dry fire then you're just playing :mallninja:.
    FIFY.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    No they did not. I was just remembering the time some old Korean vet was talking about it and figured to get people's thoughts on the matter. Didn't think it would generate such harsh responses.

This is a common misconception with civilian shooters. Sure mil/leo sources are excellent, but civil response is completely different. MIL often trains for a long game, in both range and time in the field of action (for lack of a better description). LEO's often train with an offensive/intervene intent. Both Mil/LEO train to inject themselves into a bad situation and how to thrive in those types of situations. We stopped starching our uniforms in the USAF when we switched to ABU (digital) from BDU's because of NV signature ( I have no practical knowledge I just did what I was told and was a mildly well behaved airman). Same goes for weapons, if I were in the field I would want to reduce my chances of being seen at all costs, because an engagement may require one to fight from concealed locations for extended periods. Same could be said for an LEO that is involved in some sort of a shootout/terror situation. Neither of these are situations a civilian should be involved in for any type of extended period of time.

Civilian response will happen up close and fast. If you are going to draw your weapon you better follow up with a trigger pull. If the situation is not life threatening leave it holstered and clear the scene with your family and friends as fast as possible. Drawing your own gun while trying to clear the scene could cause panic among the others who are escaping with you. When force has to be met with force your weapon should not be presented long enough for you to be singled out for having a gold desert eagle with ivory grips. Check your background, draw, double check the background and fire. I'm not drawing my weapon unless I know that I can justify killing the aggressor without a shadow of a doubt.

Mil/LEO tactics and ideas have a place in training, but civilian response should always be completely defensive. Getting involved in an extended gunfight where your shooting from concealment and worried about being spotted because of your shiny gun could easily get turned by an attorney in the civil case that would follow, and cost you a lot of money even if you were cleared of criminal charges.

Now referring to the two scenarios you posted about, las vegas and the church shooting, both of those and the mass shootings like them are carried out with very little attention to detail when it comes to target selection. The shooter may have a specific target in mind at first followed by a few salvos of random lead letting. They will not likely see a single defenders firearm in the chaos even if it is shiny.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

Most of the folks I see worry about minutiae and extreme low probability incidents haven't gotten the high reward stuff done yet. If you're worried about the finish of your gun affecting your ability to defend yourself with it, but aren't keeping up to date on training, practicing routinely, and maybe even working in some dry fire then you're just playing Walter Mitty.

Pffft, next you'll be telling me that playing Walter Mitty is a rationalization for not spending money on training. Well, shows how much you know, my Walter Mittyism negates the need to train. So there!

walleyepw

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    But Nickled and High polished SS are so shiny! But a good Royal Blued Python is pretty nice. Hey what about a case hardened frame on a nice ole single action?

comm2679

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 27, 2017
    East Central
    But Nickled and High polished SS are so shiny! But a good Royal Blued Python is pretty nice. Hey what about a case hardened frame on a nice ole single action?

Case hardening is one of my favorite finishes. It would be impractical, and maybe ugly, but I've wondered what a set of case hardened steel AR15 receivers would look like.

edit: I guess it's a thing. A quick image search showed me what it looks like. Pretty neat. It would make a heck of a conversation piece.

Captaincrunk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2017
    Evansville
    I would say you're over thinking it.

If you need to pull a pistol in self defense it means you're engaged with someone you've deemed to be a threat to your life. At that point the threat has already engaged/targeted you to some degree, so they already know where you are.

It's not like you're a sniper hiding in the shadows.

If you are shooting someone who doesn't know you are there, it better be a pretty rare circumstance.

thephasdin4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    Terre Haute
    I'd like to add that chrome weapons can be harder to shoot on sunny days due to glare coming off the slide. It's not a hindrance but it can get pretty annoying in your peripheral vision

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'm good with a stainless EDC gun. Shows less holster wear or from body/belt/cover garments rubbing on it daily, more weather resistant/sweat resistant. If one chooses to OC they have already accepted being noticed and lessening their element of surprise so I don't see that as an issue. Now as a matter of personal prefrence, I don't like nickel plated because I think it is too flashy like chrome. I try to stay away from a blue finish for carry guns just because the wear marks drive me crazy. I don't mind some of the harder finishes such as whatever Glock uses or Cerakote etc.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    If you are shooting someone who doesn't know you are there, it better be a pretty rare circumstance.

Generally shooting folks is a rare occurrence for me :ingo: That said, I get what you are saying, but there is also no duty to make someone aware, if the circumstances warrant them being shot and one is sure of his/her target.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Generally shooting folks is a rare occurrence for me :ingo: That said, I get what you are saying, but there is also no duty to make someone aware, if the circumstances warrant them being shot and one is sure of his/her target.

BBI shares a robbery story in his class. It's actually one of the scenarios we did. The perp was holding good guy A at gun point. Good guy B, who was unknown to the perp, put a round in the back of his head from point blank range. Clean shoot.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    A reflective flash is nothing compared to the flash of the firearm discharging. I carry SS or Glock due to wear protection and reliability of less rust issues ( and my nit picky cleaning is easier to see the build up)..

I carry what I can that is the 3 F's (form, fit, function)

Top Bottom